What’s your home gym setup?

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
looking into getting a power rack and some other stuff. Need ideas. I can’t handle planet fitness anymore (the only gym in my area without fighting massive traffic). If you got pics, drop them below.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you don't go the Tonal /XS One + dumbbells route, aside from the plate tree, bars and Smith/power rack with regular bench, I would tend toward a dual pulley stack functional trainer first + dumbbells and a good bench from Kippa or Fitness Reality.

Good summary here Google AI fed me as I was shopping for an eventual Tonal replacement in say ~5 years or however long I can make that last.

I'll throw some more gear links after I get back from school drives and hit my own home gym.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you don't go the Tonal /XS One + dumbbells route, aside from the plate tree, bars and Smith/power rack with regular bench, I would tend toward a dual pulley stack functional trainer first + dumbbells and a good bench from Kippa or Fitness Reality.

Good summary here Google AI fed me as I was shopping for an eventual Tonal replacement in say ~5 years or however long I can make that last.

I'll throw some more gear links after I get back from school drives and hit my own home gym.
My friend has a tonal and while it’s awesome for what it is, I definitely prefer the feeling of free weights. The power rack I’m looking at has so pulleys for cables (row, tricep extension, curl, and I think flys too)

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have this power rack along with this adjustable bench. A straight bar, curling bar, trap bar and some db's. It's all I really need. I do a free weights home workout and a machine workout in the gym. I had thought about the lat pulldown for this rack, but would rather save the money and have more options at the gym. I would not want to give up either; both workouts compliment each other.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

My friend has a tonal and while it’s awesome for what it is, I definitely prefer the feeling of free weights. The power rack I’m looking at has so pulleys for cables (row, tricep extension, curl, and I think flys too)
True that's why I was suggesting the dual iron plates, pulley stacks functional trainers in that list. Most are 150-200+ lbs of plates per side, vs Tonal only 100lbs per side magnetic vs. constant iron + gravity on pulley. I like the constant tension of magnetic or pulley-plates... Not that I don't enjoy free weights, but garage gym space for a compact car, not a house basement gym.

What power racks are you considering with the pulley attachments? I saw a few of those, though space wise I might be limited to dual stack pulley + dumbbells type system. Would love to see innovate flat plate system, compete with dual stack pulleys. That would allow me to sell the Tonal go with one of those two then.. wish I had some swiss/hex bar and plates, but was trying to keep it compact..

Last edited:

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

True that's why I was suggesting the dual iron plates, pulley stacks tyoet functional trainers in that list. Most are 150200+ lbs of plates per side, vs Tonal only 100lbs per side magnetic vs. constant iron + gravity on pulley. I like the constant tension of magnetic or pulley-plates... Not that I don't enjoy free weights, but garage gym space for a compact car basically not a house basement gym.

What power racks are you considering with the pulley attachments? I saw a few of those, though space wise I might be limited to dual stack pulley + dumbbells type system. Would love to see innovate flat plate system, compete with dual stack pulleys. That would allow me to sell the Tonal go with one of those two then.. wish I had some swiss/hex bar and plates, but was trying to keep it compact..
Looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BBYJBLZ6/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_6?smid=AUESBVTRGUTXS&psc=1

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There's a pretty big home gym thread around here somewhere.

@Rocket3015 has a sweet home gym.

I have one made from mostly scavenged and second hand stuff.

Adjustable bench, a power rack and a Olympic weight set is probably the first things you should invest in, with those items you can train all the most important things.

I have those, 500lbs in plates, some chains and bands, I bought heavy duty pulleys from home depot and made my own cable machine. Random dumbells and some old cardio equipment

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There's a pretty big home gym thread around here somewhere.

@Rocket3015 has a sweet home gym.

I have one made from mostly scavenged and second hand stuff.

Adjustable bench, a power rack and a Olympic weight set is probably the first things you should invest in, with those items you can train all the most important things.

I have those, 500lbs in plates, some chains and bands, I bought heavy duty pulleys from home depot and made my own cable machine. Random dumbells and some old cardio equipment

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

lamarclark09

Awards
Your fitness goals will determine your equipment needs. I got a power tower, battle ropes, a squat rack and some adjustable dumbbells.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
New equipment always lights a new fire in my training

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I buy from Titan fitness usually cheaper stuff but quality is fine for what I need. I got their small cheapest squat rack and Lat tower. I love it, I was never able to BB bench before that. I have an adjustable bench and dumbbells. The only thing I wish I had was a pull-up bar, my ceiling in my basement is 6 foot so it’ll never work. Thinking of getting a neutral bench bar (can’t think of what they are called) and maybe an SSB at some
point. Also have a hyper extension machine, literally saved my low back along with front squats.

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I also made deadlift boxes and deficient platform. Actually on my wish list is:

SSB
Neutral bench bar
Chains for the barbell
Leg ext/leg curl
Upgraded adjustable bench

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
I’m in the process of making a really nice home gym. Will take awhile to finish though. I’m having a bunch of work done at my house and this is being included. I will post when finished

JTS22

Awards
I picked up a rack from dicks last year and built a gym in my basement. Has adjustable handles for various pull-up exercises (Ie neutral grip) and ordered a pulley setup from Amazon:

Gives my all my compound movements (squat, deadlift, pull-up, bench, press) and threw in an ez bar and cables for various smaller muscle group exercises.

I wouldn’t mind adding a Thai bag in the mix, but I’d have to mount it to the concrete in the basement, and I’m confident it’d be loud as hell regardless and annoy the family, so I haven’t pulled the trigger on that

Overall, I think $1k is a nice budget to build a great home gym and the time you save in commuting to the gym is another positive.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I picked up a rack from dicks last year and built a gym in my basement. Has adjustable handles for various pull-up exercises (Ie neutral grip) and ordered a pulley setup from Amazon:

Gives my all my compound movements (squat, deadlift, pull-up, bench, press) and threw in an ez bar and cables for various smaller muscle group exercises.

I wouldn’t mind adding a Thai bag in the mix, but I’d have to mount it to the concrete in the basement, and I’m confident it’d be loud as hell regardless and annoy the family, so I haven’t pulled the trigger on that

Overall, I think $1k is a nice budget to build a great home gym and the time you save in commuting to the gym is another positive.
I'm only posting this because 99% of our members won't click links that lead away from anabolic minds. But that is a terrific little package for under $100. I'm actually very happy I took a look

Hbbhhbbh

Awards
  • Best Answer
I live in a upstairs flat (apartment) but it has a yard and I train outside. it’s great, nothing like squatting in the beautiful Scottish weather we have, by the time I do 3 sets it can have rained, snowed and sunburnt my ginger ass off!

honestly though I think it’s toughened the **** out of me. Things can get a bit rusty here and there but I try to maintain everything.

I have a rack, chest supported t-bar row, bb, Swiss bar, football bar, Ssb, dumbbells, leg extension/curl, back extension. Just finished setting up multiple pulleys on the rack too.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I love to see people making things happen with what they have, others just make excuses !!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer