What’s the longest you have kept a car that you bought brand new?

desibaba

Awards
I’m going on a little over 4 years on my 2018 z06 Vette. Unless it gets totaled or stolen I plan on keeping it at least until it’s 10 years old.

WesleyInman

WesleyInman

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I bought a VW Jetta In 2000 w 3 miles on it.

Kept it til 2015?

I paid like $23k new. I spent prob 10k in repairs.

When i sold it I got $3k...had 200k miles. Total POS.

In comparison my 1985 Jetta and 1992 Jetta in college were 🔥🔥🔥🔥

I bought both with 100k and for both to 300k. Way better cars. I'll never buy VW again.

I'm.a BMW and Toyota guy. Also Nissan king cab

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Guess I have never bought one brand new. But have a 2004 GMC 1500 SLE that I bought in 06 with 23,000 miles. I have 105,000 on it now it just sits and use it here and there so 16 years for that one. Then my 2012 ram 2500 bought in 15 with 38,000 have 139,000 now it just pulls my fifth wheel mostly. So 7 years on that one, I probably won’t ever get rid of 🤷🏻‍♂️

My daily driver is my work truck and I use it for everything so my personal gets little attention.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I bought a 2003 Maxima brand new in the fall of 2002. I sold it something like 17 years later. The car was mostly trouble free for the time that I owned it, but I passed on a bunch of "deferred" maintenance to the young dude that ended up buying it from me.

cylon357

cylon357

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I have a 2007 Ford Focus I bought new in May of 2007. It's still going strong (well, strong for a Focus...) 168k and probably good for another 150k.

We bought The Wife's 2003 Acura TL new in December of 2002, I think. 247k and stil rides like a new car, but I'm not going to lie, the transmission gives me the heebie jeebies.

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Toyota Tacoma's last forever(10+), and hold their value pretty well, as they make great round town work trucks and off road projects.
Although I'd say there will be more Gen 1 Tacos on the road in 10 years than the more modern versions. All the companies seem to be leaning more towards planned obsolescence than longevity these days.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
2009 C-class (C300) Mercedes Benz and I still like the car and enjoy driving it. I am getting a newer one in May of this year, but that car treated me right.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i only lease btwn $250-300/mo payments

$300/mo comes to - 10,800 for 3 years.

assuming new car i want to buy starting costs at 30K .. the way i think that is 9 years if i was to pay $300/mo w/ no down payment.

when i lease .. no worries on parts/or even oil changes get it for free

i love leasing cheap cars from $25-28k is perfect

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bought a New GMC Truck in 1976 sold it in 1983