What’s a good amount to spend of a real personal trainer?

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
I mean someone who will push you hard and correct your form when he sees it’s off, not look at his phone and have a convo with u? My body is already good especially for my age but I want to get bigger and stronger (I take supps and various vitamins but mostly natty). I want to be better. Even guys like The Rock have a PT so if he needs help then I certainly shouldn’t be shy about getting help. So what’s a good amount and in the offchance does anyone know a PT like this in Long Island NY? Thanks.

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
And when I say I want someone to push me, I mean I want someone to break me so that the man that emerges from the dust and crumbles is a stronger and better man.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Why can’t you do that to yourself if you want that so bad?

I’ve never understood paying for a trainer. They get the money, but you do all the work and you lose your time and money if it all doesn’t work. Makes no sense to me. You’re better off finding a good training partner.

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established

I’ve never understood paying for a trainer. Hey get the money, but you do all the work and you lose your time and money if it all doesn’t work. Makes no sense to me. You’re better off finding a good training partner.
That’s not a good reason. Action stars and even guys like The Rock have personal trainers to get them looking the best they can. And with the money that’s spent on some natty supps that don’t do anything I’d imagine a good PT being a better use of money.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
PTs are mostly a waste of money. Get a certified coach, at least they would be able to give you form advice.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The only reason to do this is if you can't be bothered doing your own research and if your not generally interested in learning about diet and workout regimes.

I hate working with a trainer or a workout partner, some guy shouting at me "COME ON MAN, GIVE ME TWO MORE, YOU CAN DO IT!!", completely ruins my work out but I can understand someone who just can't motivate themselves to get in the gym would be more likely to stick to a plan if they are paying for a trainer.

I actually have that mental attitude with diet. Supplements are not really necessary but if I've paid £100 on extra supplements in a month then I'm more likely to stick to the diet and stay on track.

If someone genuinely doesn't know where to start though a PT could be benificial to learn the ropes then just drop them and go it alone. You will still need to be trusted to stick to the eating plan, the PT isn't gonna live with you to make sure your not snacking so if self control is the issue it will not fix the problem.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That’s not a good reason. Action stars and even guys like The Rock have personal trainers to get them looking the best they can. And with the money that’s spent on some natty supps that don’t do anything I’d imagine a good PT being a better use of money.
There’s a little bit of a difference between somebody that does this for a living and just a regular gym go-er... wouldn’t you say?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
ITT people don’t know what a trainer actually does.

OP trainer prices are going to fluctuate by area and type of gym, etc. Best bet is to find a gym in your area and see if you can look up their trainers to see what they excel in and specialize then try to meet with one that seems in line with your goals to kind of “interview” to see if they are a good fit/match.

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established

OP trainer prices are going to fluctuate by area and type of gym, etc. Best bet is to find a gym in your area and see if you can look up their trainers to see what they excel in and specialize then try to meet with one that seems in line with your goals to kind of “interview” to see if they are a good fit/match.
Now this is good info. I want someone who has a program that will push me even harder at the gym. Right now i like my results I’ve done so far but in a gym where I’m typically alone working out (both a blessing and a curse) for the past 4 yrs and now it’s time to take it to another level if I can. If you always do the same thing then the same thing will always happen.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I agree with this totally. As a trainer for many years, I’ve seen great trainers and I’ve seen some that need to find a different profession. Interviewing them is the only way to find out if they will meet what you need and fit your personality.

SDPonce63

SDPonce63

Awards
  • Established

I’ve never understood paying for a trainer. They get the money, but you do all the work and you lose your time and money if it all doesn’t work. Makes no sense to me. You’re better off finding a good training partner.
Couldn’t agree anymore lol. YOU have to find the determination to accomplish goals. Just because someone is pushing you in the gym doesn’t mean he’s gonna push you in the kitchen to eat right. It all starts with YOU

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
So I guess guys like The Rock or Ryan Reynolds who use coaches are just wasting their time?

There comes a point where you have to add more. Whether it’s more this or that you will plateau that’s guaranteed. I’m trying to do something different than I’ve done in the past to hopefully unlock my potential. I like what I’ve done in the past but it’s all about what you’re gonna do next. I think a hardcore trainer that i can work with and augment my workouts will do that. If it’s too much money then it’s not worth it but if it’s the cost of some of the supps I spend money on then it’s worth a shot.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So I guess guys like The Rock or Ryan Reynolds who use coaches are just wasting their time?

There comes a point where you have to add more. Whether it’s more this or that you will plateau that’s guaranteed. I’m trying to do something different than I’ve done in the past to hopefully unlock my potential. I like what I’ve done in the past but it’s all about what you’re gonna do next. I think a hardcore trainer that i can work with and augment my workouts will do that. If it’s too much money then it’s not worth it but if it’s the cost of some of the supps I spend money on then it’s worth a shot.
I still think it's about doing it yourself unless you quite literally know nothing about working out or diet. The trainer should tell you the strategy and you will know if it's something you haven't tried before. A lot of PTs will be like "this is our strategy and if this doesn't get results we will switch it up". No if this doesn't work I'm having my money back thankyou.

The rock and ryan will use a trainer for film roles, he will be part of the film production set up. The same as cavel for superman. There will be renown guys used to get people in shape for films that will be asked to make sure the actors are ready. I'm pretty sure the rocks trainer will admit that he is pretty much on the ball. I am pretty sure when the rock was starting out in wresting he wasn't using a trainer.

Having said that if you can afford one and it's what you feel you need to stay on track and progress then so be it. Like I said before I need to spend money on a bunch of possibly placebo supplements every month to stay on track, each to their own.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
The best reason to get a trainer IMHO is to be introduced to a variety of exercises that you wouldn’t otherwise try and to get a regular independent assessment of overall fitness.

That’s the reason I first joined AM this past April. I was stagnating in my 18 months of working out after getting started up again lifting weights. It had been a 38 year hiatus for me.

I hired a personal trainer (jiu-jitsu instructor) for 6 months who provided an amazing variety of exercises for me to incorporate into my daily workout. After six months he told me he would no longer charge me ($60 per hour) because I had learned everything he could teach me. We became training buddies.

Now, hairygrandpa is my trainer here on AM. He has provided several great ideas that are now incorporated into my workout routine.

I also recently followed Sarah Bomar (@sarah_bowmar) on Instagram for new ideas . She does routines I haven’t seen anywhere else.
All I really need at this point is new ideas to keep me progressing on my goals.

Like almost everyone here on AM, I am very self-motivated and don’t need the “rah-rah” aspect of coaching.

My fitness goal is to increase overall body strength. Figure out your goal and go for it!

What’s your goal?

Just for fun, here’s a YouTube with the best advice I ever got.

https://youtu.be/2k1uOqRb0HU

Stay safe! Stay Strong!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm flattered. LOL.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Great discussion.

To the point above - the reason we come to Anabolicminds.com.... feedback.

Even the most skilled professional in the world cannot be an outside eye. An outside eye, with an unbiased look, on where we could improve. I fully agree with the thought process already mentioned, that the underlying drive must come from within, yet... it's an act of humility to look to others to ask for advice. If we stand in arrogance that "we have it all figured out", our advancement will reach a ceiling. This is true in business, in relationships... we can agree with that. "All that I know, is that I know nothing".

Always stay humble, and always be a student. It should be our aim to keep that as a front sight focus. Our intrinsic drive is there, and OP, I don't think you're asking this question if it weren't. I think what you're asking for, is the best possible training program. Something tailored to you, so that every workout, no less every repetition, is in your best interest.

You mentioned "to emerge from the other side". Someone above mentioned interviewing. I 100% agree with that. There are "transactional" trainers out there, that are very good at the X's and O's. The simple science of it all in regards to which movements we are doing today. Then there are "transformational" trainers. Those who can change you for the better. Make you a better human being. A more powerful force, inside the gym and out. You'll know them when you see them, but it may take some interviewing, as anything worth while would.

In terms of price, there are always bundle packages or things of that nature, which all depends on how frequent you would want to meet up with the trainer. I would venture a guess of $50-100 an hour for a strong trainer, with $100+ for a higher level coach.

In that last sentence, I purposely used the word "coach" in that specific spot.

Always stay humble. Always stay a student. Let's always learn, together. That's why we come here to AM brothers.

HellAtlantic

HellAtlantic

Awards
  • Established
Great discussion.

To the point above - the reason we come to Anabolicminds.com.... feedback.

Even the most skilled professional in the world cannot be an outside eye. An outside eye, with an unbiased look, on where we could improve. I fully agree with the thought process already mentioned, that the underlying drive must come from within, yet... it's an act of humility to look to others to ask for advice. If we stand in arrogance that "we have it all figured out", our advancement will reach a ceiling. This is true in business, in relationships... we can agree with that. "All that I know, is that I know nothing".

Always stay humble, and always be a student. It should be our aim to keep that as a front sight focus. Our intrinsic drive is there, and OP, I don't think you're asking this question if it weren't. I think what you're asking for, is the best possible training program. Something tailored to you, so that every workout, no less every repetition, is in your best interest.

You mentioned "to emerge from the other side". Someone above mentioned interviewing. I 100% agree with that. There are "transactional" trainers out there, that are very good at the X's and O's. The simple science of it all in regards to which movements we are doing today. Then there are "transformational" trainers. Those who can change you for the better. Make you a better human being. A more powerful force, inside the gym and out. You'll know them when you see them, but it may take some interviewing, as anything worth while would.

In terms of price, there are always bundle packages or things of that nature, which all depends on how frequent you would want to meet up with the trainer. I would venture a guess of $50-100 an hour for a strong trainer, with $100+ for a higher level coach.

In that last sentence, I purposely used the word "coach" in that specific spot.

Always stay humble. Always stay a student. Let's always learn, together. That's why we come here to AM brothers.
This is *exactly* what I was getting at. When guys like The Rock (I’ve mentioned him many times as an example) and Henry Cavill can use coaches, and those guys are a world better than me, I have no excuse not to. I want to get better and I have the drive to maximize what a coach can offer me. Other ppl might be going through the motions with any trainer who’ll look at his phone during their workout and won’t make the most of their time. My body is very decent at this point (winter is my offseason so I can get even better) and that was just what i accomplished by myself in an empty gym - with a coach barking in my ear and having a program tailored to me and my goals I think i can go even higher.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
A good trainer is well worth the money imho. In the uk that’s a minimum of $70 an hour but more likely $100+ (more in London).

Bad trainers are a total waste of time......so the question is ‘what makes a trainer good’

Few things:

- they should understand YOUR goals and provide a specific training plan to achieve them.

- they should be able to adapt to your physical/mobility attributes/limitations. If a trainer has a ‘set way’ they train they aren’t great.

- they should constantly be learning. Tracking the latest in studies related to fat loss/muscle gain/body recomp etc

- they should plan a program that is both sustainable and effective. Many people often need to do more of the things they don’t like to do (as they things they don’t enjoy are the ones they neglect when training by themselves). Obviously planning a session you hate from start to finish might not be sustainable so it’s a fine line to judge.

- they should provide an accountability function. Trainers have trainers themselves for this reason. Over long periods of time you’ll likely have many sessions where you feel less motivated, having a trainer can make you get it done.

Does everyone need one - no, there’s people (including plenty on AM) who probably achieve as much as they want/can regardless but I’d argue there’s more people who could achieve more if they had a good trainer (I’m talking people who want to achieve more than just a standard level of fitness/strength).

Money is often the main issue though, it’s expensive - for many the additional cost won’t be worth the additional gains but a good trainer will get you the additional gains - that’s why the rock and other movie stars have them, they can afford it and the extra benefit is worth it to them.

It’s like putting a sport kit on a decent car. The car itself is still decent without, the kit just gives it a bit more but at a cost.....