Westside Training

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
***This is one of the better articles on Westside Style Training....This was borrowed in its full text from a good bro- Adam Mackinnon from wannabebig.com.. Enjoy!

Now to get started the Westside methods are unusual to most. They put Strength, Power, and Hypertrophy phases all together into one routine. The reason these phases are together is because to be strong you need to have power and strength at the same time. The old routines could not provide that because they split up the different phases for different time frames. When training with the different phases split up you would lose the qualities you had just gained from the training before.

You might be thinking, "How do they put all those phases into one routine?” Well they do this by training for strength/speed on one day and power on a different day during the week. The hypertrophy is caused by the assistance exercises on each of the days.

So what does a 1 week routine look like?

Well, you train 4 times a week with 2 days being devoted to the bench press and 2 days devoted to the squat/deadlift. The reason the squat and deadlift are trained on the same day is because they are similar movements which use the same primary muscles.

On one day you will do speed work and on the other day you will do what is known as a Max Effort movement.

For the speed bench press day you will be using 60% of your one rep max for 8 sets of 3 reps. These reps are done as fast as possible while keeping your form perfect and using a close grip. Rest periods should be between 40-60 seconds.
For the squat speed day you will be using 50% of your max squat for 10 sets of 2 reps. The week after that you increase your speed squats to 55% of your one rep max and on the third week you will use 60% of your one rep max. On week four you would go back to 50% of your 1-RM and continue to wave your weights like that. Rest periods should be between 40-60 seconds between each speed set. After your speed squats do deadlifts for 6 singles of 60% of your max deadlift with a 20 second rest period.

For the speed bench and speed squat days after your 8 sets you will also do a single rep of about 75% of your max just to test your speed. All of the squats on speed day will be done off of boxes. I will explain this further in this article.

On the ME or Max Effort days you will be doing a movement that works the muscles in either your squat, deadlift, or bench to the max. An example of this would be doing front squats on your ME squat day or close grip incline press on your ME bench day. Almost all of your ME bench exercises should be done with a close grip.

On your squat/deadlift days you will always work your abs, obliques, an exercise for your weak point and reverse hypers. On your bench press days you will do a pressing movement followed by an extension and heavy lat work and some light shoulder work.

An example one week routine would be:

Sunday - ME squat/deadlift

ME exercise - Close stance bent over good morning - work up to a single or triple
Assistance - Glute - Ham raise - 5 sets of 8-10 reps
Abs - Standing abs - 4 sets of 8-12
Obliques - Dumbbell side bends - 3 sets of 4-8 reps
Reverse hypers - 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Tuesday - Speed bench

Speed Bench - 8 sets of 3 reps at 60% of your one rep max
Pressing movement - Closegrip 3 board press - 3 sets of 5
Extension - Elbows out extensions - 3 sets of 6-10 reps
Lat work - T-bar rows - 4 sets of 5-8 reps
Shoulder work - A few light sets of side laterals and front raises

Thursday - Speed squat

Speed squat - 10 sets of 2 reps at 50% of your one rep max
Speed deadlift - 6 singles of 60% of one rep max
Assistance - Zercher squats - 5 sets of 6-8 reps
Abs - Decline sit-ups with 5 second pause at bottom - 4 sets of 8-12 reps
Obliques - Dumbbell side bends - 3 sets of 4-8 reps
Reverse hypers - 3 sets of 6-8 reps

Friday - ME bench

ME exercise - Closegrip Incline press - work up to max single
Pressing movement - floor press - 3 sets of 5
Extension - Skull crushers - 3 sets of 6-10
Lat work - T-bar rows - 4 sets of 5-8
Light shoulder work

How can you get away with all the volume?

The main reason you can do this much is because none of the assistance exercises are to failure. The only exercise that is done until failure is your ME movement. When you first start training with this program you might want to drop a few sets on the assistance exercises. You can gradually add them as you get used to the volume.

What is the proper form for bench pressing?

Benching is actually a very technical lift. To start off you need to pull your shoulder blades together to put most of the pressure on your trap area. Now plant your feet firmly to the ground and push a bit. By this point your body should be very tight and stable. Now unrack the weight and position the bar above your sternum area with your arms still fully extended. You will want to lower the bar straight down and up to create the smallest ROM as possible. During the press keep your elbows near your sides and hold your shoulder blades together. The bar should end up staying over your sternum for the whole rep. Do NOT breath out during the rep, hold your breath from the beginning of the rep to the end.

What is the proper form for squatting without a box?

First position yourself under the bar and put the weight on your rear delts. Take a wide grip and then take in a large breath while pushing your abs out and arch your back to take the weight off of the pins. Now you should be standing with your back arched and abs pushed out. Now take a wide stance with your toes pointed straight forward. Take one last breath while pushing your abs out and descend back into the squat while pushing your feet out sideways. To descend into the squat first stick your ass back and lean forward keeping the bar over your feet for the whole rep, this will keep the bar in the center of gravity. Your shins should stay perpendicular to the floor for the rep and the bar should stay above the middle of your feet.

What is the proper form for box squatting?

Box squats are very similar to squats except at the bottom of the squat you sit back onto the box and release your hip flexors. You MUST keep the rest of your body tight. To release the hip flexors just stop pushing your feet out sideways. You only release them for a split second then explode back to the top of the squat.

DO NOT BOUNCE OFF THE BOX.

Some notes about the system

On ME day you are training with the conjugated method. With this method you must rotate the ME exercise at most every 3rd week. The reason for this is because you will not get stronger after 3 weeks at or above 90% of your max, you will suffer either mental or physical burnout after about 3 weeks and your strength will actually go down.

On ME day for squat/deadlift 60% of the ME exercises should be different kinds of good mornings, 25% squatting movements and 15% deadlifts. The reason being for all of the good mornings is because they build up the posterior chain (calves, hamstrings, glutes, lower back, upper back, abs, obliques) like no other exercise.
On speed day the reason you are using between 50% and 60% of you max is because that is how you can generate the most force. Think of it this way, can you generate more force throwing a ping pong ball/baseball/or a 90pound weight? Well, the ping pong ball is too light to get much force while the 90 pound weight is to heavy but the baseball is able to be thrown fast and it has more weight then the ping pong ball. Use the equation F=M x A to figure that out. The reason short rest periods are used on speed day are: A) You can hit fast twitch fibers hard B) Short rest periods release more growth hormone C) You get better on your first rep D) You get into good shape for a competition

The Most Important Muscles of Each lift:

For Bench pressing the very most important muscle are the triceps. That is why all the triceps work is done. The next most important muscle would be the lats and shoulders.
For squatting and deadlifting the most important muscle are the hamstrings followed by the lower and upper back, the glutes, the abdominals and obliques and the hips.

Here are some exercises you can use to add variety to your workouts:

Squat and deadlift assistance: Dimel deadlifts, glute-ham raise, pull-thru’s, stiff legged deadlifts, zercher squats, seated good mornings, bent over good mornings, arch back good mornings, front squats, high bar squats, rack pulls, pulls off a block, sumo deadlift, conventional deadlift, one handed deadlifts, safety bar squats, suspended good mornings, hyperextensions, kneeling squats.

Pressing movements: closegrip bench, 2 board press, 3 board press, 4 board press, 5 board press, presses off pins, floor press, half benches, JM press, Paul dicks press, dumbbell press, reverse grip bench, cambered bar press, extra wide grip bench, incline press, decline press, military press.

Extensions: skull crushers, elbows out incline extensions, pushdowns.

Lat work: T-bar rows, barbell rows, dumbbell rows, chins, pulldowns, cable rows, supported chest rows.

Ab exercises: Decline sit-ups, standing abs, leg raises, Russian twists, spread eagle sit-ups.

Big H

Banned
Awards
Damn YJ.. I was gonna write my own article about that... :confused:

Matt T

Awards
Big H/anyone else with Westside experience

I have been training and following Westside training for about 2.5 months now and every article I have read about Squat training seems to over-emphasize the glutes and hamstrings (commonly referring to them as the Posterior-chain muscles).  This has me quite puzzled, because through practice I can see that it works, but the theory eludes me.  The glutes I don't have a problem with, it is more the hamstrings. I am not quite certain how they come into play in the squat, and especially how they can be more decisive in a big squat than strong quads.  Peace and Heavy Lifting and thank you for your time.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I remember reading somewhere that the hamstrings work "both ways" i.e. they help when you extend and curl your leg.

http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Hamstrings.html

At the bottom is says they are "bi-articulate" and they hlep with hip extension which is part of the squat movement.

ManBeast

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
This is actually a very solid 9 week Westside Training Program
Article By Westside Guru Dave Tate - Much appreciated

Week 1

Day 1 (max effort squat day)
Good Mornings: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max.
Glute Ham Raises: 3 sets of 10 reps. Stress the eccentric, try to get a four count on they way down.
Reverse Hypers: 3 sets of 8 reps using the small strap
Pull Down Abs: 5 sets of 10 to 15 reps
Straight Leg Raises: 5 sets of 15 reps

Day 2 (max effort bench day)
Board Press: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max.
Lying Barbell tricep extensions: 6 sets of 10 reps
Push Downs: 3 sets of 10
One Arm Press: 3 sets of 15

Day 3 (dynamic effort squat day)
Box Squats: 10 sets of 2 reps with 50% of 1RM (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)
One Leg Squats: 4 sets of 10 with each leg
Dumbbell Rows: 4 sets of 6 reps
Barbell Shrugs: 3 sets of 15 reps

Day 4 (dynamic effort bench day)
Bench Press: 10 sets of 3 reps with 60% of 1RM; use three different grips; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)
Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extensions: 4 sets of 8 reps
Dumbbell Side Raises: 3 sets of 10 reps
Bent Over Dumbbell Side Raises: 3 sets of 10 rep

Week 2

Good Mornings: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max
Glute Ham Raises: 3 sets of 8 reps. Stress the eccentric, try to get a four count on they way down.
Reverse Hypers : 3 sets of 8 reps using the small strap
Straight Leg Raises: 3 sets of 20 reps

Board Press: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max
Lying Barbell Tricep Extensions: 6 sets of 10 reps

Box Squats: 10 sets of 2 reps with 54 % of 1RM; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)

Bench Press: 10 sets of 3 reps with 60% of 1RM; use three different grips ; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)
Bent Over Dumbbell Side Raises: 3 sets of 10 reps

Week 3

Good Mornings: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max
Glute Ham Raises: 3 sets of 8 reps using the small strap
Reverse Hypers : 3 sets of 8 reps using the small strap
Straight Leg Raises: 3 sets of 20 reps

Board Press: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max
Lying Barbell Tricep Extensions: 6 sets of 10 reps

Box Squats: 10 sets of 2 reps with 56 % of 1RM ; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)

Bench Press: 10 sets of 3 reps with 60% of 1RM; use three different grips ; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)
Bent Over Dumbbell Side Raises: 3 sets of 10 reps

Week 4

Low Box Squat: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max
Glute Ham Raise: 5 sets of 5 reps
Partial Deadlifts: 3 sets of 20 reps

Floor Press: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max
JM Press: work up to 2 sets of 3 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press: 2 sets of 10
Seated dumbbell Cleans: 4 sets of 8
Straight Leg Raises: 5 sets of 15

Day3 (dynamic effort squat day)
Box Squats: 10 sets of 2 reps with 60 % of 1RM ; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)
* after your sets of box squats work up to a heavy double. This is not a maximum attempt so do not miss the attempts.
Reverse Hypers: 5 sets of 8 reps
Chest supported Rows: 4 sets of 8 reps
Glute Ham Raise: 3 sets of 6 reps
Pull Down Abs: 5 sets of 10 reps

Close Grip Bench Press: work up to 2 sets of 3
One Arm Dumbbell Extensions: 3 sets of 10
Front Plate Raises: 3 sets of 10 reps

Week 5

Low Box Squat: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max

Floor Press: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max
Seated Dumbbell Cleans: 4 sets of 8

Box Squats: 10 sets of 2 reps with 50% of 1RM ; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)

* after your sets of box squats work up to a heavy single. This is not a maximum attempt so do not miss the attempts.

Week 6

Seated dumbbell Cleans: 4 sets of 8

Box Squats: 10 sets of 2 reps with 52 % of 1RM ; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)

Week 7

Good Morning Squats: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max
Lunges: 4 sets of 10 reps (each leg)

Ball Press: 3 sets of 20 reps (avg. rest period = 5 min)
Seated dumbbell Shoulder Press: 5 sets 10 reps
Incline Barbell Tricep Extensions: 5 sets 6 reps
face Pulls: 5 sets 15 reps

Box Squats: 10 sets of 2 reps with 54 % of 1RM ; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)
* after your sets of box squats work up to a heavy double. This is not a maximum attempt so do not miss the attempts.
Reverse Hypers: 4 sets 8 reps
Pull Downs: 3 sets 8 reps
Glute Ham Raise: 4 sets 15 reps

* after your sets of box squats work up to a heavy single. This is not a maximum attempt so do not miss the attempts.
Dumbbell Tricep Extensions: 4 sets of 6 reps
Reverse Grip Push Downs: 3 sets of 15 reps
Front - Side - Rear Delt Combo Raise: 2 sets of 60 reps (20 each raise)
Pull Down Abs: 5 sets 10 reps

Week 8

Good Morning Squats: warm up doing sets of three reps until you feel that you can no longer perform three reps. At this point drop the reps to one and continuing working up to a one rep max
Lunges: 4 sets of 10 reps (each leg)

Ball Press: 3 sets of 20 reps (avg. rest period = 5 min)
Seated dumbbell Shoulder Press: 5 sets 10 reps
Incline Barbell Tricep Extensions: 5 sets 6 reps
face Pulls: 5 sets 15 reps

Box Squats: 10 sets of 2 reps with 62 % of 1RM ; (45 to 60 sec rest between sets)
Reverse Hypers: 4 sets 8 reps
Pull Downs: 3 sets 8 reps
Glute Ham Raise: 4 sets 15 reps

Dumbbell Tricep Extensions: 4 sets of 6 reps
Reverse Grip Push Downs: 3 sets of 15 reps
Front - Side - Rear Delt Combo Raise: 2 sets of 60 reps (20 each raise)
Pull Down Abs: 5 sets 10 reps

Week 9

Day 1 (max day) near end of week
Box Squat: work up to a 1 rep max
Bench Press: work up to a 1 rep max

* These maxes will be used as the 1RM for the next eight week cycle

Big H

Banned
Awards
The westside bench press...

I thought i'd expand a little on the post by YJ about westside. I will cover what a basic bench routine would look like, including a lot of the variations that they use. Then bench press techniques to help increase your bench.

First off, the westside routine is divided into 4 days (in the weight room) 2 focus on bench, and 2 on squat deadlift. Let's take a look at bench:
Usually how it works is you have 2 days, preferbelly 74 hours apart to allow optimum rest and recovery; one is speed day and one is Max Effort day. The speed day you use a weight that is around 50% of your max, but your goal is to do 3 reps as fast as possible (shoot for fewer than 2 seconds) and then rack it up. Rest for less than 1 minute and do it again. Around 8 reps is usually used, but more are used if you vary your grip on the bench press bar. Like, you could do 4 close grip, 4 normal grip, and 4 wide grip.
After doing your set number of sets for your speed bench, you then add a weight that is approx 75-80% of your max. You do as many as possible WITHOUT GOING TO FAILURE and then rack it up. Some people like to work up to a 2 rep max (i.e. doing 3 or 4 sets starting at 85% and ending at 100%.)

Now, the next day is called "Max Effort Day." This is where you do some variation of the bench, NOT REGULAR BENCH PRESS TO AVOID REDUDANTCY, and do about 6-8 working sets working up to a 2 rep max or a 1 rep max. The goal here is to do single out your week point and work on it; I.e. your lockout, your triceps etc.

If your lockout is your weakness then I suggest doing rack benches. Set the rack at a depth as to where you would only go down so far, and then go up again. You don't have to go down to your chest here, but the goal is to work on yoru lockout power.

Another good one is floor press. Lie on the floor and bench. This will keep your back straight, and make you derive all the bench press strength from your arms, without being able to touch your chest.

Now that that is covered, breifly, because YJ covered a lot in his other article, I will dispell upon you some tips:

1. Don't arch your back.. Ok, ok, before I get chastised for this, i must clarify. If you have been lifting for awhile, and know how to arch your back then go ahead. But, most kids/people have no idea how to correctly arch their backs, and all the day is end up hurting themselves.

2. Push your elbows in- Believe it or not, your triceps are stronger than your chest. So why not optimize them? By pushing your elbows in you will use a lot of your triceps and increase your bench.

3. Squeeze the shoulder blades together- This, like the elbows, will help optimize the triceps.

4. Don't put your legs in the air- This just looks gay. Plus, you shouldn't have to if your form is good.

5. Drive with your heels into the floor- When you push up on your bench, drive your feet into the floor. This, as some say, help them when benching.

6. Go down over your lower chest- Go down over your lower chest and up over your lower chest. DO NOT go down over your chest and up over your eyes.

7. Tear the bar apart- When you are benching, and pressing up, act like you are tearing the bar apart with your hands, to help optimize the triceps.

8. Get good strength in your backup muscles- If your lats are weak, you will fail at the bottom, if your triceps are weak you will fail at the upper part of the bench. Find out what one it is, and work on it.

9. Don't bounce off your chest- You are here to lift the weight, not cheat yourself.

10. Don't ego-lift- You will only hurt yourself.

All I can think of at the moment. Main thing is though, if you are stuck to do some speed work. This will help blast through a plateau.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Another nice one H, these are MUCH appreciated bro, good work.....but yep, Im moving it ;)

Inzah Dude

Awards
Big H, what is the proper and unproper way to arch your back?

Big H

Banned
Awards
Big H, what is the proper and unproper way to arch your back?
Well, when they say "arch" they refer to the natural curviture that you have, without 'curving' your back. You can arch all you want, but the moment your back isn't straight and there is a 'curve' in it, than you risk hurting yourself.

Inzah Dude

Awards

Well, when they say "arch" they refer to the natural curviture that you have, without 'curving' your back. You can arch all you want, but the moment your back isn't straight and there is a 'curve' in it, than you risk hurting yourself.
I'm still a little confused. I don't really understand what you mean by "arching" and "curving". Do you have a link or pictures of the difference between the two?

Big H

Banned
Awards

I'm still a little confused. I don't really understand what you mean by "arching" and "curving". Do you have a link or pictures of the difference between the two?
Ok. You know how you can keep your back straight, but arch it at the same time? Just go look up any picture of "how to do a deadlift" and you will probably see it done correctly.

But when you "curve" your back, or round it, it isn't straight. You are hunched over, and the air is out of your abs. Which makes you slunch over.
They probably also have pics of bad DL form.

Inzah Dude

Awards

Ok. You know how you can keep your back straight, but arch it at the same time? Just go look up any picture of "how to do a deadlift" and you will probably see it done correctly.

But when you "curve" your back, or round it, it isn't straight. You are hunched over, and the air is out of your abs. Which makes you slunch over.
They probably also have pics of bad DL form.
So, for step 1, you weren't talking about benching? All the other steps are about benching though right?