Wendler's 5/3/1 Training Program Review?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I just downloaded some info about Wendler's 5/3/1 training program.

That is focus on barbell squat, bench press, deadlift, and military press.

Week One 3 * 5
Week Two 3 *3
Week Three 1 * 5/3/1
Week Four 3 * 5

After these strength work sets are done, 5*10 or 5*15 can be done for hypertrophy work.

It seems simple; but, as with anything simple, there runs the risk of over-simplification and in this way stalled gains.

What do you guys think? Any one try it?

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are variations for the assistance work.
Big but boring (what you described)
Dave tates's periodization
All depending on your goal

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I think many people have been happy with their 5-3-1 progress, but I also believe a lot of them didn't just follow the generic template you find online. The book had many variations of the program to help keep you from plateauing, but like all programs, you can't just run it infinitely.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
It does work and works well. You have to follow the program as written and be sure to do the deloads. I used it for several months for strength gains and made some good progress

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did his original years ago. He has since then upgraded. I think the original had the pressing volume a little low for some.
Anyway, I never really find the problems in simplicity per se, if the work is hard enough and progress is monitored and programmed, simple layouts can be the best to follow for the masses to gain.
Example, when I went into WSB stuff (years ago also), I thought the more complicated routines and W/O's would be some kind of magic ride. Actually I was losing strength in the main lifts, because I had no real clue what I was doing, how to track progress, what kinds of intensity to use wek in and week out on differing lifts etc. and also how to and how much canvas they were relying on, even though it felt like I was in touch with all this new tuned in work.
It can be easy to confuse "simple" and "hard" (as in hard work on just a handful of simple lifts)
If you google and do some research into Jim's stuff/seminars/articles, (and Tate's as well) he is a pretty seasoned veteran of strength and knowledge.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
Found the book:
.amazon.ca/Simplest-Effective-Training-System-Strength-ebook/dp/B00AJ8CIQM

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
Bump.

I just purchased the book online and am interested in people's experiences with running the program. Thinking of getting into more of a powerlifting routine.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I enjoyed this program and it definitely helped me get stronger.

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
I enjoyed this program and it definitely helped me get stronger.
At any time did you think it was not enough volume? I am used to and currently employ more of a bodybuilding style routine but have increasingly been a lot more interested in powerlifting routines specifically because of the possible strength increases. I also looked at the PHAT and PHUL routines for a while but decided to just buy the book and give this routine a shot.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
At any time did you think it was not enough volume? I am used to and currently employ more of a bodybuilding style routine but have increasingly been a lot more interested in powerlifting routines specifically because of the possible strength increases. I also looked at the PHAT and PHUL routines for a while but decided to just buy the book and give this routine a shot.
Yes, I hated the low volume, and there were days when I had to go super light and felt like a bum. In my head I was screaming to everyone in the gym, "I swear I could lift more! I'm just following a program right now!" I was pretty amazed at how strong I got, though!

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just finished the Boring But Big 3 Month Challenge that you can find on his web site. I saw some really good strength gains. I also saw some mass gains in my back/traps from all the deadlifting. I don't think I deloaded enough though - my knees really took a beating squating 2x a week. I'll probably run it again next year.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
The three month challenge I think had the BBB assistance be an alternate exercise, like deadlifts on the day you squatted. I do the assistance the same as the main power movement. Really gets your heart rate up too if you keep the rest short. Haven't dropped any weight doing it but the weight lifted is going up.

hvyd

Awards
There are tons of variations
You can use the black iron beast website to calculate all your lifts for the majority of the 531 programs
There is plenty of 531 information online for free
Wendler even stated that 531 is not a power-lifting program. Many have said its very low on volume: it is. I read about a guy doing EMOMs after the Main lift. I tried it and it made a big difference in strength gains
I see it as a longevity program. Start with a 85% training max and go forth
Yes, I have used it a few times since the original book when I didnt want to think about programming

Demgainz

Demgainz

Awards
  • Established
Ok. So I have been on the 5/3/1 program for about 2-3 months now and am enjoying it so far. I plan on staying on this program for a while. I am having some concerns with increasing my maxes on my lifts. I have search the internet and have seen some differing views and opinions so I figured I'd ask here.

If during the course of my training and hit joker sets past my training max do I then use that new max as my training max or do I stay the course? My concern is this: I don't want to wait two or three more months to hit a new weight PR when I can potentially do it now. If I don't it now I can ultimately progress faster. However, the drawback of using the new weight PR is that I may potentially stall earlier.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Still making progress in keto in a deficit on the program. Love it paired with the boring but big assistance template. It's evolved a bit over time. I'd recommend his newest book

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I hated the low volume, and there were days when I had to go super light and felt like a bum. In my head I was screaming to everyone in the gym, "I swear I could lift more! I'm just following a program right now!" I was pretty amazed at how strong I got, though!
That's why leaving your ego at the door is a thing he tells you to do. With my coach I pulled 400 recently. Haven't touched it once in programming. You are training, not testing. His principles really do work.

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've heard good things about 5/3/1 from some bigger guys at my gym. I don't see why a routine focused on building strength in the major compound movements wouldn't work. Just put in the intensity and get adequate rest. Let us know how you progress.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Ive been running 5/3/1 for 5yrs now and will never stop running it....Wendler has spent 20+yrs lifting and 10+ writing programs....get the books and read them thru a few times to understand the principles of 5/3/1....that will get u thru life more then program jumping every other week.

JCR97

JCR97

Awards
I guess no one has any answers?
I would say complete your cycle wth your maxes that you have inputed because that's the intention of the cycle. Once you finish then reset your maxes and restart