Wendler's 5/3/1 Sucks.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Apologies in advance for the self promotion, but I recently started a blog where I'll be discussing training for strength sports. The first post went up yesterday and I'm anxious to get some views and opinions. Please check it out if you have a few minutes.

STRONKsauce

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Ehh i dont think saying 5/3/1 sucks is going to be very popular around here lol. Everyone has an opinion, but many guys here of all strength levels have ran 5/3/1 with success. Honestly you gotta put your faith into the program and allow it to work for you, run it as it says and you'll get stronger. The first couple cycles aren't going to blow you away weight wise. You honestly won't be lifting any where near maximal effort, but they give you time to build muscle and build up to bigger weights. Powerlifting isn't something that you are going to be great or elite at over night, it takes years. 5/3/1 is for people that want to put the time in to get bigger and stronger over the course of months and years. I respect your opinion, but thats just my 2 cents.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
I don't suppose you read the actual blog post? The title was a bit click-baity, but I am definitely not against 5/3/1.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
I did read it. It took a second time thru to really get what you were saying. No training program or methodology is for everyone. Most programs work (besides ones on BB.com haha), as long as you let them, you just have to find one that you enjoy and that you are motivated to do. That I agree with. Pretty good post, but I just kinda looked at the title and just glossed over most of what was being said at first and just looked for what you said about 5/3/1.

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Fair enough. I'm not claiming to be 100% right all the time or suggesting anyone shouldn't use 5/3/1. The point is only that you should like what you do.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You suck.

I don't have time to read your blog. Maybe if I knew what it was instead of just reading "5/3/1 sucks" I might click it. Anyway. To humor you. Your perfect strength program is literally 5/3/1 but simple, and without a guide for how much volume to do. Oh and you aren't Wendler.

Cheers!

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Lol what. I only use 5/3/1 to maintain my strength as Im more focused on aesthetics at the moment and still find it to be the best program for strength that I have used, it is low in volume but compliments my higher volume work for hypertrophy, while allowing me to maintain my strength.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Westside Rules
it is awesome. it is unfortunately beyond the grasp of most people to be able to apply to themselves. IMO westside is more of a guideline and not a set template for people to follow exactly. kind of like 5/3/1, it is very adaptable to what is needed at the moment for your goals. most people just do not have the know how to adapt it optimally for themselves. i really believe one of the best things for westside and its understanding is the cube. his explanation of i think is much clearer than louis for those not well educated in the science of exercise and therefore can allow more people to properly plan out westside.

i also read an article from a gentleman that did some training there that applies a block periodization to westside which i think is brilliant. i really feel it will allow the non elites to use it for much longer periods if not indefinitely and minimize injury rates.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5/3/1 is pretty nice for strength. i also gained a lot of strength on the 5x5 program to.