Wellbutrin capable of boosting Testosterone?

muscleless

Awards
I just started an antidepressant (bupropion) and while researching the side effects, I couldn't help but notice that Wellbutrin increases Dopamine, which in theory, wouldn't that boost testosterone?

From what I read, it boosts norepinephrine, so would it be something like norepinephrine>dopamine>testosterone?

If so, would this route of testosterone boosting affect fertility positively or negatively?

TShoot

TShoot

Awards
Subbed. Would be interested in other users on Wellbutrin and how it positively or negatively affected their training or interactions with other AAS/PH/SARMs/SERMs, etc.

Hope I am not hijacking your thread. If so, I can start another one. Let me know.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I just started an antidepressant (bupropion) and while researching the side effects, I couldn't help but notice that Wellbutrin increases Dopamine, which in theory, wouldn't that boost testosterone?

From what I read, it boosts norepinephrine, so would it be something like norepinephrine>dopamine>testosterone?

If so, would this route of testosterone boosting affect fertility positively or negatively?

I wouldn't say raising dopamine is a "side effect" since that's the whole point of Wellbutrin is to raise your dopamine levels (along with norepinephrine) via re-uptake inhibition of the two. That's why it works as an antidepressant.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC514842/ (can't post links yet so just copy and paste)

About the testosterone question, are you thinking something along the lines of dopamine inhibiting prolactin and having an effect on test in a roundabout way? If so, I see where you're coming from, but I would highly doubt the effects are that noticeable.

I may be wrong though. I did a quick search for Wellbutrin and testosterone on PubMed and nothing came up.

One thing I do know is sometimes Wellbutrin is used to counteract the sexual side effects people get from SSRIs. This isn't from an increase in test so much as it is the increased dopamine, which is a "pleasure" chemical.

So if you're just looking for something to boost your libido, it may do that.

If you or anyone can find some other research showing it can raise test levels though, I'd love to check it out.

bstrong77

Awards
Wellbutrin unfortunatly has an adverse effect on fertlity, just google wellburtin + fertility.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It def helps with libido. I don't know that there's any data that directly answers your question but it's reasonable to assume there could be some effect.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I ran it for a few years... noticed nothing that would indicate testosterone was raised.

chem.jr.

chem.jr.

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Most antidepressants hurt fertility and or testosterone if anything, not help it.

bstrong77

Awards
Most antidepressants hurt fertility and or testosterone if anything, not help it.
Even the natural ones, 5 HTP, st Jons worth, mucuna pruriens (good for testosteron, bad for fertility)......