Weightlifting plus running

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Trying to figure out how to incorporate more running in my routine. I lift full body 3x a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and I run on Sundays. I want to add running on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

How do I adjust my leg training? Each of these full body sessions I put more emphasis on a body part. Back, chest, or legs, sometimes shoulders.

I can even lift Saturdays, but don’t cause of full body. I just do some LISS.

I could Make it to where Monday is a strength upper and Wednesday is my hypertrophy upper and Friday is my strength lower day. Or I can keep leg training on Mondays and Wednesday’s but Friday is my leg emphasis day since I don’t do much on Saturdays. I would like to keep getting stronger on my squats and dead’s but I want to have good endurance to.
Sunday could be sprints and Tuesday could be distance, like 5 miles, and Thursday could be like a recovery run of 2 miles. I see runners do a recovery run the day after but I’m trying to lift weights to so.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ultimately, the first couple of weeks might be tough but I think you’ll get used to whatever. Not sure what you’re doing for cardio now, or how much but unless we’re talking a dramatic increase in volume and intensity, I don’t think going for a nice jog is going to be dramatically different than the stair master or some spirited work on the elliptical. If you’re wanting to run 30 or 40 miles a week on hills, trails and whatnot obviously that’s different.

As for the recovery run, that’s something runners do primarily after longer races, ie 10 miles or more. I ran half marathons starting at 15 years old, so I have some experience with all this.

Biggest thing is I think you’re just gonna need to feel it out for the first couple of weeks and see how you feel but it sounds doable. I think the sprints are far more likely to beat your legs up than just going and running 3or 4 miles each day. I’d start with just doing that before trying to structure your running. Just get some miles under your legs first.

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ultimately, the first couple of weeks might be tough but I think you’ll get used to whatever. Not sure what you’re doing for cardio now, or how much but unless we’re talking a dramatic increase in volume and intensity, I don’t think going for a nice jog is going to be dramatically different than the stair master or some spirited work on the elliptical. If you’re wanting to run 30 or 40 miles a week on hills, trails and whatnot obviously that’s different.

As for the recovery run, that’s something runners do primarily after longer races, ie 10 miles or more. I ran half marathons starting at 15 years old, so I have some experience with all this.

Biggest thing is I think you’re just gonna need to feel it out for the first couple of weeks and see how you feel but it sounds doable. I think the sprints are far more likely to beat your legs up than just going and running 3or 4 miles each day. I’d start with just doing that before trying to structure your running. Just get some miles under your legs first.
I mean I am not an absolute noob at running. I could go do a 5k in under 30 right now. It’s not the best but probably a lot better than the average person who is unexperienced.