Weight loss time frame

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
So I’m trying to make a weight loss goal here and I was needing help coming up with a reasonable timeframe. I’m 5’8” and 248 lbs. I started out last year at 300 lbs and a divorce and some bad times in my life cut me down to 248. My diet is still **** right now and I haven’t trained or done cardio yet really other than here or there. I’m trying to get this week under control to start. Going on a low carb diet with IF and 3 days lifting/2 days cardio. What would be a realistic timeframe to cut down to 200 lbs?

Noncompetitive

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Some of these guys are way more knowledgeable than me. What I did was first.
1. Download MyFitnessPal on your phone.
2. Find your maintenance calories per day.
3. Eat at 300-500 cal deficit.
4. Cardio 5x week 30-45 day.
5. Lift 3x week.
6. EAT RIGHT and keep intense track of food and drink calories.
7. It will come off at about 3 lbs a week, everyone is different though.
Good luck.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So I’m trying to make a weight loss goal here and I was needing help coming up with a reasonable timeframe. I’m 5’8” and 248 lbs. I started out last year at 300 lbs and a divorce and some bad times in my life cut me down to 248. My diet is still **** right now and I haven’t trained or done cardio yet really other than here or there. I’m trying to get this week under control to start. Going on a low carb diet with IF and 3 days lifting/2 days cardio. What would be a realistic timeframe to cut down to 200 lbs?
It really depends on what your goal is. If you goal is to loose weight with no regards to it being fat or muscle or healthy weight loss. Also your "low carb IF diet" dosent tell us anything. I can gain weight with low carbs and IF if my calories are over maintenance. Aside from that, 3-4 days lifting and 2 days cardio is how I would approach bulking, it's minimal training with lots of time for recovery and a small amount of cardio.

So with all that said, say with your training schedule and your bodyweight we can do some math and figure out that to reach your goal of loosing 48lbs if you were in a caloric deficit of 500 calories under maintenance which is considered a agressive approach it would take you about 6 months to reach 200lbs

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also, low carb and IF will not speed up your fat loss any faster then high carb and 6 meals a day if the total calories are equal. Don't waste your time with fancy fad diets, figure out how many calories you eat on a average day and start eating 500 calories less, make the majority of your diet protein sources and vegetables, have your carbs pre and post workout.

I do have a personal issue with intermittent fasting, I know fasting has benifits but think about this.

You go 16 hours without food and then cram your daily macros into a 8 hour window. You feast and then there's a famine for 16 more hours. Then you eat everything you should have had over the course of a day and don't eat again for 16 hours.

Some ppl starve for 20 hours and cram all there food in a 4 hours window.

Whatever if you choose, it's feast then famine, starve then cram down the calories.

Sounds a awful lot like the definition of a eating disorder

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
I know people have their issues with IF, but it’s a lot of how I’ve jump started a 52 lb weight loss thus far. I know 2 lbs per week is pretty typical for healthy weight loss but considering my lack of activity and fast food diet, I figure the first month or so I could probably see a 3 lb per week weight loss possibly.

My calories will be pretty low. Boiled eggs for breakfast around noon, then chicken and veggies around 4pm, followed by eggs and spinach around 7pm, then a protein shake before bed. Simple but low carb.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I know people have their issues with IF, but it’s a lot of how I’ve jump started a 52 lb weight loss thus far. I know 2 lbs per week is pretty typical for healthy weight loss but considering my lack of activity and fast food diet, I figure the first month or so I could probably see a 3 lb per week weight loss possibly.

My calories will be pretty low. Boiled eggs for breakfast around noon, then chicken and veggies around 4pm, followed by eggs and spinach around 7pm, then a protein shake before bed. Simple but low carb.
Your not giving enough information for anyone to answer your quest. There's a simple equation to figure out weight loss. It's not 100% but it's fairly accurate and that's calories in vs. Calories out. The bigger the deficit the faster you can loose weight. I can loose 10lbs in 24 hours if I don't eat that day and do 2 hours of cardio, on the other hand if I go over my calories and don't exercise that day.

There's 100 variables

It's like when someone says how much can I expect to gain on this cycle. The answer is 0-♾️ depending on your diet "calories and quality of food" and training

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also, if your calories are low and your not loosing weight it means you need to fix your metabolism. You do that through exercise, the more you lift and do cardio the more food you can eat and you will build your metabolism back up.

Ppl think as we age our metabolism slows down, it dosent, we slow down. When your a kid your metabolism is fast because you walk a lot, ride a bike, play tag, shoot a basketball, go rollerblading. There always something. As you get older you stop doing those things and because your not active your body does not need to burn up all those calories so it stores them

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
play tag,
Lets re-incorporate adult tag to boost our metabolism ;)

Totally agree though with what you have said. Ecspecially as an adult a lot of careers now a days are sitting greater than 80% of the job to.

JD284

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Some of these guys are way more knowledgeable than me. What I did was first.
1. Download MyFitnessPal on your phone.
2. Find your maintenance calories per day.
3. Eat at 300-500 cal deficit.
4. Cardio 5x week 30-45 day.
5. Lift 3x week.
6. EAT RIGHT and keep intense track of food and drink calories.
7. It will come off at about 3 lbs a week, everyone is different though.
Good luck.
I followed this pretty closely in 2021 based on my own research and lost 30lb in 10 weeks and put on some muscle, with the help of CEL mtest, AE and epiandro. MyFitnessPal is a huge help with retraining your brain on both macros and portions

johnny412

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I went through a pretty big weight loss after a break up. It motivated the hell out of me.

I weighed 330 pounds and lost 165 pounds. I lost 165 pounds in the course of 3 years. Mostly because I had to learn about training and dieting on my own.

I’ve experimented with many different diets over the last 8 years: crash diets, keto, low carb, high protein, high carb, low fat, Mediterranean, UD2, rapid fat loss.

Only diets I haven’t tried that I was interested in was the Carnivore Diet, and the Vertical Diet.

All diets work when in a caloric deficit. The most important thing is what diet can you stick to that allows you to continue to lose weight for the duration of the goal. Because after we lose the weight…we have to realize that the weight lost also resulted from a lifestyle modification more than it did just the diet.

The most important thing to focus on is sustainability. Drastic changes in dieting and training have repercussions. When the goal is weight loss, and the weight lost, is regained +some, then our goal and hard work was kind of diminished.

I hope this helps. Keep on keeping on!

It’s been 7 years post weight-loss and I’ve kept 140 pounds off; only because my goals shifted to focusing on building muscle and bodybuilding.

View attachment 217859
wtf is the purpose of pic holding sign that says day? serious question...

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
MyFitnessPal is a huge help with retraining your brain on both macros and portions
MyFitnessPal (or any macro tracking app) is a game changer for me. Convenient and keeps me honest to get the results I want.

tao77

Awards
Also, low carb and IF will not speed up your fat loss any faster then high carb and 6 meals a day if the total calories are equal. Don't waste your time with fancy fad diets, figure out how many calories you eat on a average day and start eating 500 calories less, make the majority of your diet protein sources and vegetables, have your carbs pre and post workout.

I do have a personal issue with intermittent fasting, I know fasting has benifits but think about this.

You go 16 hours without food and then cram your daily macros into a 8 hour window. You feast and then there's a famine for 16 more hours. Then you eat everything you should have had over the course of a day and don't eat again for 16 hours.

Some ppl starve for 20 hours and cram all there food in a 4 hours window.

Whatever if you choose, it's feast then famine, starve then cram down the calories.

Sounds a awful lot like the definition of a eating disorder
it's not all that bad. I started keto 8 weeks ago. I kept myself under 25 carbs per day and kept cardio to only LISS a couple of times per week and mostly weights 3 times per week. I lost 30 pounds after the first month, then I hit my plateau, after 2 weeks of staying about the same weight I then threw IF into the mix, only 12 hours, and then ate like normal, It didn't feel like famine because I noticed while in ketosis, I seldom feel hungry. I often have to make myself eat. Anyways after incorporating IF my weight loss picked up, and now I am down 20 more pounds in the past 4 weeks. I feel amazing and my strength has gradually gone up the whole time. I'm 5'10 and currently 218 lbs

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
it's not all that bad. I started keto 8 weeks ago. I kept myself under 25 carbs per day and kept cardio to only LISS a couple of times per week and mostly weights 3 times per week. I lost 30 pounds after the first month, then I hit my plateau, after 2 weeks of staying about the same weight I then threw IF into the mix, only 12 hours, and then ate like normal, It didn't feel like famine because I noticed while in ketosis, I seldom feel hungry. I often have to make myself eat. Anyways after incorporating IF my weight loss picked up, and now I am down 20 more pounds in the past 4 weeks. I feel amazing and my strength has gradually gone up the whole time. I'm 5'10 and currently 218 lbs
You have to remember something there's a big difference between losing 30 lb and losing 30 lb of fat, on keto your loosing muscle and water more then fat in most cases, Especially if your natural.

Calories in vs calories out no matter what type of diet you follow will amount to the same weight loss give or take a small difference in water weight. But there's huge differences in weight loss versus fat loss. I can drop 20 to 30 lb in a week, it ain't going to be fat and it ain't going to be fun. If I wanted to drop off that and hold on to as much muscle as possible it would have to be a very slow drawn-out process, it would have to include carbs "carbs are muscle and protein sparing"

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'll tell you another thing, follow a strict keto diet for six to eight weeks and then go get your blood work done, the majority of ppl will not be happy with what they see if there following a legit keto diet.

There is no scenario ever we're getting 70 to 80% of your calories from fat is healthy

tao77

Awards
I'll tell you another thing, follow a strict keto diet for six to eight weeks and then go get your blood work done, the majority of ppl will not be happy with what they see if they're following a legit keto diet.

There is no scenario ever we're getting 70 to 80% of your calories from fat is healthy
just got labs done last week, for my annual physical, my triglycerides were lower, however, as for my cholesterol was about the same. My blood pressure and my sugar are a lot better. that being said, I eat a lot cleaner than I did before. my fats, I eat more avocado and fish, and I supplement with cod liver oil and C8 oil. My doctor was actually amazed at how much better everything looked. now I know a few who tried this diet and their triglycerides were worse due to the diet, so it can go either way. My strength is up substancially so I im not worried about muscle loss. as for Natural... well somewhat , I am on TRT and have been about 2 years now. 200 mg week cyp.

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
I'll tell you another thing, follow a strict keto diet for six to eight weeks and then go get your blood work done, the majority of ppl will not be happy with what they see if there following a legit keto diet.

That’s why I think the best keto scenario is TKD. Most people think the keto diet is the Atkins diet and treat it as such. I think that CKD flirts way too much with losing interest so TKD tends to be the overall better version.

I’ve found myself to be way too hungry all the time on any form of keto diet. I prefer carb cycling myself. Try to avoid them before bed and early mornings and go a little lower carb on days I don’t lift. Tends to make me feel better and I don’t lose as much strength.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

Great video here on carb cycling but it also gives a very good explanation of how different types of diets cause different types of weight loss. Definitely worth The watch