Weak glute deadlifting

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't be worried at all! Nice pull! If you have concern, just do some activation beforehand. What did you feel?

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wouldn't be worried at all! Nice pull! If you have concern, just do some activation beforehand. What did you feel?

I felt amazing lol I was overall happy with it. The speed was ok. Looking at the knee i never really noticed that it went in a very little bit. But a friend just kinda **** on my parade and told me I have weak glutes. And I know I do but I just wanted to get some others people's opinion on it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I felt amazing lol I was overall happy with it. The speed was ok. Looking at the knee i never really noticed that it went in a very little bit. But a friend just kinda **** on my parade and told me I have weak glutes. And I know I do but I just wanted to get some others people's opinion on it.
Well, if your friend is right, then it was good of them to call you out on it. You're not in danger from what I saw.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anything you guys would recommend to strengthen the glute med and help with this problem? Things that are not squats.

I'm definitely going to be using bands around me knees while deadlifting to start. Anything else?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anything you guys would recommend to strengthen the glute med and help with this problem? Things that are not squats.

I'm definitely going to be using bands around me knees while deadlifting to start. Anything else?
I like belt squat marches and holds in your deadlift stance. If you don't have a belt squat machine, you can use a dip belt and stretch heavy bands across a power rack. I do 1-2 minutes a set for 3-5 sets twice a week.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But a friend just kinda **** on my parade and told me I have weak glutes.
Did he suggest any specific exercise?

Not sure if this would help your activation, but I used to do pull throughs for higher reps, squeezing my glutes hard at end to upright the torso. It really burned my glutes, like when you get that ab ache from crunches.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I didn't really notice anything wrong with that, given the intensity of the lift. Glute activation drills and strengthening drills should be a part of routine work anyway IMO, but no real cause for concern here.

Rndmher

Rndmher

Awards
How much weight was that? I can never tell with bumper plates?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did he suggest any specific exercise?

Not sure if this would help your activation, but I used to do pull throughs for higher reps, squeezing my glutes hard at end to upright the torso. It really burned my glutes, like when you get that ab ache from crunches.
What are we talking here, PB? 20, 50 reps?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How much weight was that? I can never tell with bumper plates?
#605 on the insta site

What are we talking here, PB? 20, 50 reps?
I usually got my head into 20's, by that time my butt was pretty much on fire. I didn't need a lot of weight, just more concentrating on squeezing my butt hard to pull myself upright.

slggtstrength

slggtstrength

Awards
#605 on the insta site

I usually got my head into 20's, by that time my butt was pretty much on fire. I didn't need a lot of weight, just more concentrating on squeezing my butt hard to pull myself upright.
Pull throughs have done wonders for my deadlift. I've never felt a movement that lights my glutes on fire more than high rep pull throughs.

For them I normally just pick a song and do as many as I can until the song ends. Just like you said, focus all on squeezing the glutes.