Wagyu Steak - Best Way To Prepare And Cook

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Aight guys so I took the plunge and ordered a 1 lb grade A5 steak. I was wondering if anyone had experience preparing and cooking steaks such as this with high fat content. I was thinking just salting it and cooking it in a cast iron skillet greased with fat trimmed from the sides of the steak for 2 min a side then letting it rest for 10 min.

Thoughts?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Probably won’t need quite that long a rest. Cast iron is great. Keep it nice and race, just make sure you get a really nice dark sear on both sides, and brown that fat a bit. Maybe baste with some butter, thyme and sliced shallot for a few seconds for extra flavor. Oh, in addition to the salt, some freshly ground black pepper.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You think it would need butter etc? I figured the high fat content would lend to it not needing butter. Thyme I can see for sure, pepper yeah I forgot to put that lol. Salt and pepper are the staples. I just figured it wouldn’t need much. Maybe pour the drippings back on top after slicing it? I was told you’re supposed to cut it in thin bite sized strips, any thoughts on that?

Steak will be for 2 people so I was just gonna cut it in half before cooking it on both sides.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Use the fat from the steak as you originally suggested. Do not add any other fats from butter or oils as you paid the amount you did for the flavor in that steak and you don't want anything else covering it up.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would just do salt and pepper. As for cutting it, slicing it in two makes sense, but I don't think there is a way you're supposed to cut if after that. Just cut it and eat it like you would any steak. I know the price and everything that surrounds wagyu makes it seem like something completely different, but it's not. It's a great tasting steak, but still just a steak.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would just do salt and pepper. As for cutting it, slicing it in two makes sense, but I don't think there is a way you're supposed to cut if after that. Just cut it and eat it like you would any steak. I know the price and everything that surrounds wagyu makes it seem like something completely different, but it's not. It's a great tasting steak, but still just a steak.
I’ve been told it’s amazing tasting and the best in terms of flavor with a great Unami taste. Figured I’d have to at least give it a try once. Maybe I’ll pour the liquid fat on top before letting it rest so it can soak back in?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sous Vide.

T3x

T3x

Awards
  • Established
I use a cast iron pan.. liberal use of rock salt on the pan..high heat till smoking...drop steak in 2 minutes one side to sear...then flip 2 minutes sear other side....then flip every minute till done.....

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sous Vide.
I still haven't tried this yet, but have seen mixed reviews online. Some say that with a quick sear to finish is great and some say that it isn't worth the effort.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I still haven't tried this yet, but have seen mixed reviews online. Some say that with a quick sear to finish is great and some say that it isn't worth the effort.
Sear after...tastes and looks better.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sear after...tastes and looks better.
No, sorry, I meant if the sous vide step is worth it at all. Some say it adds a lot and the sear is always needed. But some say that it's not worth the effort and you're better just doing it all in a pan.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, sorry, I meant if the sous vide step is worth it at all. Some say it adds a lot and the sear is always needed. But some say that it's not worth the effort and you're better just doing it all in a pan.
With steak, its so worth it.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
With steak, its so worth it.
Hmmm I’ll have to look in to this, def not gonna try it on a $170 cut of meat but I’ll try it on another less expensive steak to see if it works

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmm I’ll have to look in to this, def not gonna try it on a $170 cut of meat but I’ll try it on another less expensive steak to see if it works
Its so easy to do, but yeah you have a point.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What kind of steak did you get?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
1lb A5 Wagyu Ribeye Steak. Gonna split it in to two
Nice. Ribeye is usually the only wagyu I buy now. The other cuts didn't really seem to be worth it. If I'm paying for fat, I want fat!

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nice. Ribeye is usually the only wagyu I buy now. The other cuts didn't really seem to be worth it. If I'm paying for fat, I want fat!
Tenderloin had more meat but I’m not really buying it for meat lol I’m buying it for the rich fattiness in it that helps it melt in your mouth

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Tenderloin had more meat but I’m not really buying it for meat lol I’m buying it for the rich fattiness in it that helps it melt in your mouth
Yeah don’t bother with filet. It’s dumb.

And as for the butter... it’s not about need. But it will make it better. I’ve cooked and served Kobe steak in a world class resort and basted with butter and thyme is absolutely the way to go. World class restaurants finish almost all of their proteins this way.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah don’t bother with filet. It’s dumb.

And as for the butter... it’s not about need. But it will make it better. I’ve cooked and served Kobe steak in a world class resort and basted with butter and thyme is absolutely the way to go. World class restaurants finish almost all of their proteins this way.
It won’t take away or mask the flavor of the steak too much? I’m worried about the butter replacing some of the richness of the steak with richness of the butter. Thyme I’ll definitely add

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It won’t take away or mask the flavor of the steak too much? I’m worried about the butter replacing some of the richness of the steak with richness of the butter. Thyme I’ll definitely add
Won’t take away anything. Promise. I do this for a living.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So it seems cast iron is the way to go, for now. Maybe I’ll soue vis or however you spell it later on but it seems risky since I haven’t tried it before. Thyme for sure, butter maybe. I’ll test the butter on a regular steak and see if it does anything (I don’t see why it wouldn’t help but lots online are saying you don’t need too). Salt and pepper and that’s it.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So it seems cast iron is the way to go, for now. Maybe I’ll soue vis or however you spell it later on but it seems risky since I haven’t tried it before. Thyme for sure, butter maybe. I’ll test the butter on a regular steak and see if it does anything (I don’t see why it wouldn’t help but lots online are saying you don’t need too). Salt and pepper and that’s it.
Sous vide is an investment. It has its place. For cooking a steak, I don’t think it produces an inherently better end product. Makes it easier to get that perfect medium rare, sure. Sous vide really shines with braised type products(like brisket), batch cooking, or when you have 200 steaks for a banquet all of slightly variable shape and thickness and you need them all perfectly medium rare. For the simple act of cooking one steak, sous vide is frankly more trouble than its worth in my professional opinion.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sous vide is an investment. It has its place. For cooking a steak, I don’t think it produces an inherently better end product. Makes it easier to get that perfect medium rare, sure. Sous vide really shines with braised type products(like brisket), batch cooking, or when you have 200 steaks for a banquet all of slightly variable shape and thickness and you need them all perfectly medium rare. For the simple act of cooking one steak, sous vide is frankly more trouble than its worth in my professional opinion.
Ahhh interesting I thought you just stuck them in bags in water and let er rip lol. I do need to find me a good marinated steak recipe for my rolls but that’s for another day lol

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ahhh interesting I thought you just stuck them in bags in water and let er rip lol. I do need to find me a good marinated steak recipe for my rolls but that’s for another day lol
Nah, for a steak like that you’d probably sous vide it for an hour or so at 132 degrees then sear it. So, gonna take over an hour to cook instead of the couple of minutes it’s gonna take you. Unless it’s something that needs to be tenderized by long slow cooking, sous vide won’t make it inherently better if you can just cook it properly via conventional means.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nah, for a steak like that you’d probably sous vide it for an hour or so at 132 degrees then sear it. So, gonna take over an hour to cook instead of the couple of minutes it’s gonna take you. Unless it’s something that needs to be tenderized by long slow cooking, sous vide won’t make it inherently better if you can just cook it properly via conventional means.
So like flank steak which is normally tough and chewy regardless of how it’s cooked would be good in there then?

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best way to cook any meat is on a big green egg!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What is that? Never heard of it. I assume it’s a grill of some sort but I’m not familiar with it.
It's a ceramic grill based on Japanese kamado stoves. It's fine if you're cooking meat for hours and need it to maintain a low temp, but overkill if you're cooking a steak like you have. In my opinion, it's overpriced, but has a cult following.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's a ceramic grill based on Japanese kamado stoves. It's fine if you're cooking meat for hours and need it to maintain a low temp, but overkill if you're cooking a steak like you have. In my opinion, it's overpriced, but has a cult following.
Interesting, I don’t normally cook meat for very long. I never managed to master that craft of keeping it moist and tender while cooking it thoroughly but not over doing it

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What is that? Never heard of it. I assume it’s a grill of some sort but I’m not familiar with it.
It’s the most overpriced and overrated grill on the planet. There’s not really anything you can do in an egg that you couldn’t do in a Weber for about 1/10th the cost. They’re stupid.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It’s the most overpriced and overrated grill on the planet. There’s not really anything you can do in an egg that you couldn’t do in a Weber for about 1/10th the cost. They’re stupid.
^^^This lol. I was trying to be nice, but definitely this. I've seen old refrigerators converted into smokers that do the same thing.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
^^^This lol. I was trying to be nice, but definitely this. I've seen old refrigerators converted into smokers that do the same thing.
I got approached by a VP from big green egg to buy one for the place I run. I was like wtf am I gonna do with that? Cooking 3 pork butts at a time doesn’t help me. I just got a $10k montague steakhouse broiler a few months ago, and just took delivery of a smoker from bubba grills that’ll cook 64 chickens and 30 pork butts at the same time. A big green egg will do nothing but be in my way.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I got approached by a VP from big green egg to buy one for the place I run. I was like wtf am I gonna do with that? Cooking 3 pork butts at a time doesn’t help me. I just got a $10k montague steakhouse broiler a few months ago, and just took delivery of a smoker from bubba grills that’ll cook 64 chickens and 30 pork butts at the same time. A big green egg will do nothing but be in my way.
Doesn't make sense for a restaurant at all. I know a few people that have one, but they are usually the type that like to have every grilling/smoking toy possible. Traeger pellet grills seem to be a similar obsession.