Veggie Bloat

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
So I have had moments where I am getting bloated like crazy

I have noticed that it is the most prominent AND most painful after I eat broccoli, was doing about 4lbs a week (Sam's club has 4 lbs of it, in 1lbs steam fresh bags for $5).

This week I have decided to cut out broccoli for the most part and replace it with spinach, asparagus and zucchini

Does anyone else get crazy bloated from veggies? I am on a lower carb-carb back loading eating plan at the moment and it's just one of those things I have noticed these past few weeks

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Food intolerance or build up over time. I recently had to cut out broccoli and have the last 6 months. I like you use to eat it almost everyday and a few pounds a week. It got to the point where after meals it was instant indigestion. Therefore listen to your body and swap it out. I have then switched to green beans and asparagus and boom no issues at all.

This can happen, our bodies are creatures of nature, but if we continually pound the same thing day in and day out there can be consequences. A few other food sources that happened to me was oatmeal (eating it almost everyday) had to ditch it totally due to bloat.

That is not uncommon at all, and it is seen a lot in competitors that go through preps for years and build up some tolerances to food.

hamzazaidas

hamzazaidas

Awards
So I have had moments where I am getting bloated like crazy

I have noticed that it is the most prominent AND most painful after I eat broccoli, was doing about 4lbs a week (Sam's club has 4 lbs of it, in 1lbs steam fresh bags for $5).

This week I have decided to cut out broccoli for the most part and replace it with spinach, asparagus and zucchini

Does anyone else get crazy bloated from veggies? I am on a lower carb-carb back loading eating plan at the moment and it's just one of those things I have noticed these past few weeks
Yes. Without a doubt. Broccoli can bloat you like crazy if eaten in large amounts. Unless it is making you uncomfortable, like really uncomfortable, I wouldn't cut it out fully but maybe just decrease the amount that I have.. otherwise yes, you can try and replace it with other Greens that won't bloat you as bad.. green beans, asparagus, spinach etc.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Great responses in here. I would 100% agree, eating a lot of broccoli always makes me bloated. I've had much better success with sticking to salads and leafy greens like spinach, romaine, and iceberg to add in volume without the bloat. Asparagus is another solid option.

Broccoli is great for keeping you feeling full, but too much can often be difficult to digest and it can have you feeling uncomfortable and bloated

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Great responses in here. I would 100% agree, eating a lot of broccoli always makes me bloated. I've had much better success with sticking to salads and leafy greens like spinach, romaine, and iceberg to add in volume without the bloat. Asparagus is another solid option.

Broccoli is great for keeping you feeling full, but too much can often be difficult to digest and it can have you feeling uncomfortable and bloated

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Yes. Without a doubt. Broccoli can bloat you like crazy if eaten in large amounts. Unless it is making you uncomfortable, like really uncomfortable, I wouldn't cut it out fully but maybe just decrease the amount that I have.. otherwise yes, you can try and replace it with other Greens that won't bloat you as bad.. green beans, asparagus, spinach etc.
Keeping in a food source that is bloating him may not be a wise option.
He can try and reduce it and take notes, but most likely if he has been eating so much so often the intolerance of the food is building up in here. Again very common with competitors and veggie intake when they abuse things. Eat so much over time = it may backfire

Just like anything in life .. there is a fine line of moderation .. Use too much of something and in the end it may come back to haunt you
Law of diminishing returns.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Right on, LOVE all the responses in here and yesterday I left out broccoli completely and had no issues. I think I am going to go the rest of the week without it and just see how I feel. It sucks because it's SO CHEAP, but the cheapest route isn't always the best route to take.

Thanks for the input everyone!!! Truly appreciate it

FitAngie

FitAngie

Awards
I used to eat a lot of broccoli with my meals every day and noticed a lot of bloat also. To the point where it was painful to continue eating it. I tried cauliflower also, but same thing happened. I now eat green beans and asparagus as my main veggies and I feel a heck of a lot better. no more bloat.

deanX

Awards
Our bodies react differently. Agree with just decreasing the amount of brocolli with other green leafy that will not make you bloat.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I used to eat a lot of broccoli with my meals every day and noticed a lot of bloat also. To the point where it was painful to continue eating it. I tried cauliflower also, but same thing happened. I now eat green beans and asparagus as my main veggies and I feel a heck of a lot better. no more bloat.
Yup! I cut it out completely last week and noticed a huge difference. It sucks because I like broccoli but I guess it'll have to be a sometimes food

FitAngie

FitAngie

Awards
Yeah I love it too but it wasn't worth the gassy pains. Glad you feel better

MMKELS

MMKELS

Board Sponsor
Awards
I found the same happens with me. Now I do a lot of green beans, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, and my favorite is fresh spinach, microwaved with a bit of sea salt.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
UPDATE

Since the writing of this thread to now (2 weeks) the bloat has gone down tremendously AND I have more energy. I do miss my broccoli from time to time, but it is worth dropping it and feeling better day in day out!!!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
UPDATE

Since the writing of this thread to now (2 weeks) the bloat has gone down tremendously AND I have more energy. I do miss my broccoli from time to time, but it is worth dropping it and feeling better day in day out!!!
I have dropped broccoli for over 6 months now. As much as I love it. I prefer to have my digestive tract in check and not deal with the bloating.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
I get gas/boating when eating broccoli and cauliflower also. Personally, I have found that adding a homemade vinegrette/dipping sauce (ACV, EVOO, Soy sauce) helps to eliminate the gas and adds additional flavor. Since I have started doing this I have had no problems whatsoever.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I get gas/boating when eating broccoli and cauliflower also. Personally, I have found that adding a homemade vinegrette/dipping sauce (ACV, EVOO, Soy sauce) helps to eliminate the gas and adds additional flavor. Since I have started doing this I have had no problems whatsoever.
Drop those problem foods and I bet you will even find better relief. If you know the red flag, Don't continue to abuse it, eliminate it and focus on proper digestion. my 2 cents.

I can still eat broccoli but I still get gas and bloating to a degree even with gut health and digestive enzymes. Without broccoli my tract works so much better, I feel so much better, and you don't have to worry about feeling like a ticking time bomb.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Food intolerance or build up over time. I recently had to cut out broccoli and have the last 6 months. I like you use to eat it almost everyday and a few pounds a week. It got to the point where after meals it was instant indigestion. Therefore listen to your body and swap it out. I have then switched to green beans and asparagus and boom no issues at all.

This can happen, our bodies are creatures of nature, but if we continually pound the same thing day in and day out there can be consequences. A few other food sources that happened to me was oatmeal (eating it almost everyday) had to ditch it totally due to bloat.

That is not uncommon at all, and it is seen a lot in competitors that go through preps for years and build up some tolerances to food.
When this thread initially came up, I saw this post and was in the same boat; pounds of broccoli a week.

This is my fourth week without why. Why have I stopped, partially because of this thread, but also because it hasn't been on sale. I thought this whole food intolerance thing was BS. Since I have cut out broccoli, for green beans and brussel sprouts, I have seen a reduction in bloating when I have a lot of veggies in one sitting or throughout the day.

I have been rotating between two different veggies daily since. I am going to add broccoli back in and see if not consuming it for a month helped.

All in all, I agree with Bob. Even though veggies are good for you, too much of a single one may not be over an extended period of time. I would rotate the type of veggie weekly, if possible.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
When this thread initially came up, I saw this post and was in the same boat; pounds of broccoli a week.

This is my fourth week without why. Why have I stopped, partially because of this thread, but also because it hasn't been on sale. I thought this whole food intolerance thing was BS. Since I have cut out broccoli, for green beans and brussel sprouts, I have seen a reduction in bloating when I have a lot of veggies in one sitting or throughout the day.

I have been rotating between two different veggies daily since. I am going to add broccoli back in and see if not consuming it for a month helped.

All in all, I agree with Bob. Even though veggies are good for you, too much of a single one may not be over an extended period of time. I would rotate the type of veggie weekly, if possible.
I have not touched broccoli since I started this thread (maybe a little here and there if the wife cooks something up) but not to the extent I was doing

I feel a 1000 times better. Mostly my rotation of veggies are zucchini, asparagus and spinach

FlyingHanuman

Awards
Clean up your broccoli before you eat it!
The little leafy parts that attach to the main stem (look like tiny spinach leaves, not the top of the plant) are known to cause bloating, gas and digestive issues.
Nutritionists catering to large groups or people that aren't in good health like at hospitals, etc are trained to ensure that broccoli is prepared properly in those situations - yet, to most people it seems instinctual to just throw em in as extra greens!
And buy local organic produce - Broccoli is not well protected from pesticides!
Otherwise, of course - Switch it up! Have a group of different veggies that you know are good, buy them all and use a combination of at least 1 or 2 of them in a meal, rather than having a go-to veggie for every day.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
This is an interesting read. I drink a few pounds of raw broccoli a week. Never had a problem digesting it but perhaps I should back off to prevent a tolerance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
GreenMachineX Nutrition / Health 23
ItalOne Cycle Logs 161
Jm88888 Recipes 0
jramoska Nutrition / Health 19
Chrisehyoung Nutrition / Health 9