Vegan

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
I'm probably late to this as with everything, but I'm learning more about it now. Anyone going to plant based diet or just 100% vegan, and notice any differences?

I've just watched a couple documentaries on Netflix and hearing from other people that it's much more beneficial than eating so much animal products.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm probably late to this as with everything, but I'm learning more about it now. Anyone going to plant based diet or just 100% vegan, and notice any differences?

I've just watched a couple documentaries on Netflix and hearing from other people that it's much more beneficial than eating so much animal products.
I'm not against it, but I have no interest in eliminating animal products. All those vegan movies and documentaries are backed by vegans, the studies are cherry picked in there favor.

All the studies that specifically link meat to cancers and heart disease are also financially backed by Peta and vegan organizations.

I definitely eat tons of fruits and vegetables, but I eat my meat and dairy too.

I have 3 very close friends that went vegan and all of them lost a ton of weight, but they also have very little muscle and are not very strong either.

You absolutely can make a vegan diet work to build muscle and loose fat and have high performance, but it's much more challenging then someone who doesn't have to eliminate whole food groups. There's a few vitamin deficiencies you should keep a eye on and combine multiple plant based protein sources at every meal to make sure you're getting all your essential amino acids, and count your calories, it's very easy to under eat on a vegan diet because so many of the foods are not calorically dense yet filling.

I don't think your going to find more then 2-3 vegans on this forum tho so I wouldn't expect a lot of responses

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
I'm not against it, but I have no interest in eliminating animal products. All those vegan movies and documentaries are backed by vegans, the studies are cherry picked in there favor.

All the studies that specifically link meat to cancers and heart disease are also financially backed by Peta and vegan organizations.

I definitely eat tons of fruits and vegetables, but I eat my meat and dairy too.

I have 3 very close friends that went vegan and all of them lost a ton of weight, but they also have very little muscle and are not very strong either.

You absolutely can make a vegan diet work to build muscle and loose fat and have high performance, but it's much more challenging then someone who doesn't have to eliminate whole food groups. There's a few vitamin deficiencies you should keep a eye on and combine multiple plant based protein sources at every meal to make sure you're getting all your essential amino acids, and count your calories, it's very easy to under eat on a vegan diet because so many of the foods are not calorically dense yet filling.

I don't think your going to find more then 2-3 vegans on this forum tho so I wouldn't expect a lot of responses
Can't trust anyone these days. This cynical world we live in. When Beyond Meat came out a few years ago, that was the exact thought I had. That it's just animal lovers trying to get people off meat. That and the food seemed to be full of sodium.

I was actually thinking all of what you said to be the case as well though. It was a girl telling me how good she feels after being a Vegan for 2 years. I mean I'm not expert, but it does just make sense to think about how much harder it is to break down animal meat and digest it. But I don't see the need to be completely vegan, and not just incorporate more plant based foods mixed in with a little meat and dairy.

So much for being able to do actual research on much of anything, especially nutrition. There's always an ulterior motive.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Can't trust anyone these days. This cynical world we live in. When Beyond Meat came out a few years ago, that was the exact thought I had. That it's just animal lovers trying to get people off meat. That and the food seemed to be full of sodium.

I was actually thinking all of what you said to be the case as well though. It was a girl telling me how good she feels after being a Vegan for 2 years. I mean I'm not expert, but it does just make sense to think about how much harder it is to break down animal meat and digest it. But I don't see the need to be completely vegan, and not just incorporate more plant based foods mixed in with a little meat and dairy.

So much for being able to do actual research on much of anything, especially nutrition. There's always an ulterior motive.
I'm not against veganism, especially when ppl do it for ethical reasons. But I almost find it cult like, most of the ppl who go vegan treat it like it's some high class club. Many of them look to convert others to it and they dive head first into all the studies that are specifically picked out because they were done by vegans and vegan organizations or Peta.

I'm sure there are lots of health benefits but it's more likely because of the massive amount of micronutrients from all the fruits and vegetables, not because you eliminated meat.

I've personally tried it for 30 days on a bet that I couldn't. I lost about 10lbs and my strength definitely went down in the gym. My overall energy was completely fine and my skin looked better. I noticed that I got full really fast but never felt satisfied with my meals. Twords the end I started making 1000 calorie smoothies every day to add to the 4 meals I was already eating and that helped.

Berry vegan protein powder, bananas, dates, spinach and peanut butter.

I felt like the extra calories and specifically the extra fat really helped.

But overall it's not for me.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I do love my vegetables tho, this was my dinner tonight. 1 chicken breast, half those raw vegetables, Greek yogurt, humus and a cup of rice

Attachments

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
I do love my vegetables tho, this was my dinner tonight. 1 chicken breast, half those raw vegetables, Greek yogurt, humus and a cup of rice
Wow I gotta up my cooking game...

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
I'm not against veganism, especially when ppl do it for ethical reasons. But I almost find it cult like, most of the ppl who go vegan treat it like it's some high class club. Many of them look to convert others to it and they dive head first into all the studies that are specifically picked out because they were done by vegans and vegan organizations or Peta.

I'm sure there are lots of health benefits but it's more likely because of the massive amount of micronutrients from all the fruits and vegetables, not because you eliminated meat.

I've personally tried it for 30 days on a bet that I couldn't. I lost about 10lbs and my strength definitely went down in the gym. My overall energy was completely fine and my skin looked better. I noticed that I got full really fast but never felt satisfied with my meals. Twords the end I started making 1000 calorie smoothies every day to add to the 4 meals I was already eating and that helped.

Berry vegan protein powder, bananas, dates, spinach and peanut butter.

I felt like the extra calories and specifically the extra fat really helped.

But overall it's not for me.
Makes sense, I was worried about the losing weight thing as well. That's not what I'm looking to do. Although I have been reading on all the diseases it can help with... it was kind of the right time for me for someone to bring it up as I've been looking for other diet ideas because I've been bored with eating the same meat all the time, so I was more open to the idea. And the girl that was trying to convert me is also a veterinarian, so, although she didn't mention it to be for the idea of saving animals or the planet, she talked about the benefits of feeling better and better workouts, maybe the motive was for the animals.

I think I'll just replace 1 meal a day with a plant based for now and go from there.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Makes sense, I was worried about the losing weight thing as well. That's not what I'm looking to do. Although I have been reading on all the diseases it can help with... it was kind of the right time for me for someone to bring it up as I've been looking for other diet ideas because I've been bored with eating the same meat all the time, so I was more open to the idea. And the girl that was trying to convert me is also a veterinarian, so, although she didn't mention it to be for the idea of saving animals or the planet, she talked about the benefits of feeling better and better workouts, maybe the motive was for the animals.

I think I'll just replace 1 meal a day with a plant based for now and go from there.
I see now way it's going to give you better workouts, but there are health benefits, it's just not the be all end all. I do eliminate some of my meat for other non meat protein sources, like instead of 6 ounces of chicken in a meal I might eat 3oz and use some low fat cheese and fat free Greek yogurt to make up the rest. I still occasionally will have the shake I mentioned earlier that is vegan.

But I will say this, the better workouts is nonsense. If going vegan gave better performance then all the top athletes that make there living off performance and there body would go vegan because they want every edge they can get. There are a very select few high level athlete that are vegan, but if you do some research on them, none of them got where they are following a vegan diet, every one of them switched to veganism late in there career with the exception of the Diaz brothers.

High level vegan athletes make up less then 1% of the population.

I'm not trying to convince you not to try going vegan. What I am trying to get across tho is it's definitely harder to get big and strong on a vegan diet in comparison to a meat eaters diet.

Count your calories, get your protein from various sources and cover all the bases with your micronutrients and you can definitely be successful on a vegan diet

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
One more thing you might want to take into consideration is that vegans and vegetarians have lower testosterone then meat eaters, that's a medical fact. Vegans are typically against saturated fat, and saturated fats are extremely important for testosterone levels. I'm not saying you need to eat a ton of saturated fat. But a typical vegan diet is 80% carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat and that's a recipe for low testosterone

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
But a typical vegan diet is 80% carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat and that's a recipe for low testosterone
Totally agree…and from what I’ve seen that’s a recipe for the common, “skinny fat” look…
Not one serious fitness enthusiast and up, would rock those macros…

On the rare occasion that someone has shown me a pic of guy that’s clearly juicing and they say “look he’s vegan too…” I just nod and walk away…I’m not about to get into it with someone that doesn’t understand any of this….but we here understand the “jacked, shredded vegan” is getting an outside source of test and other compounds. It doesn’t matter that he doesn’t eat all the foods that raise testosterone…

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
A lot of those vegan foods made to emulate ‘regular’ food, use soy….that’s something to definitely avoid!

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
I'm relieved to hear all this lol

But sometimes I feel like I'm eating too much meat and feel like crap. I've tried counting my macros and it's damn near impossible.

Why is Soy bad?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

But sometimes I feel like I'm eating too much meat and feel like crap. I've tried counting my macros and it's damn near impossible.

Why is Soy bad?
It's not that soy is bad, but too much soy lowers testosterone and raises estrogen

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It's not that soy is bad, but too much soy lowers testosterone and raises estrogen
And if eating too much meat makes you feel crappy then eat less meat it's not a big deal.

Eggs, cheese and Greek yogurt are very high in protein. I don't see any reason why you can't reduce your meat intake and replace it with some of those. Or like I said if you want to eliminate me completely go for it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Why is Soy bad?
try hunting....bow season starts next week and i can't wait.

fresh deer meat is way more healthy than any meat you can buy in a grocery store. same for fish :)

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've watched the one documentary on there as well... I've been told that it was largely exaggerated and manipulated by several people.

My coworker has been on a plant based diet for over 3years and his take is that it's alot of work cooking and finding restaurants that support it where he lives but he sticks to it and is working his way up to becoming "alkaline vegan"...

He says his energy is always up, and he is very active outside of work playing soccer etc.