Vegan/Raw lifestyle, need diet help!

heatherh

heatherh

Awards
Hi, I recently started living a fully vegan and 80% raw lifestyle and I've notice I've been gaining weight like crazy. Most people lose weight and I'm the opposite. Any one experience this?? I've also been slacking on going to the gym which I'm sure that play into part but I've been lacking so much energy and motivation most of the time :( can anyone recommend a good vegan/raw diet to lose weight?!

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
I was vegetarian for 20+ years and vegan for ~2. The trouble with that dietary choice is the protein to carb ratio. You are gaining weight (fat most likely and not muscle) because of your tremendous carbohydrate consumption. The other problem with this is chronic inflammation. I severely damaged my body by doing this, and now at age 35, though I have a solid understanding of nutrition, I am still struggling to overcome the damage I did (unknowingly) to myself.
I understand that this lifestyle is your choice, however, I would never ever recommend this to anybody ever. Especially those who are fitness oriented. It may work for some people, but ruined me.

heatherh

heatherh

Awards
I was vegetarian for 20+ years and vegan for ~2. The trouble with that dietary choice is the protein to carb ratio. You are gaining weight (fat most likely and not muscle) because of your tremendous carbohydrate consumption. The other problem with this is chronic inflammation. I severely damaged my body by doing this, and now at age 35, though I have a solid understanding of nutrition, I am still struggling to overcome the damage I did (unknowingly) to myself.
I understand that this lifestyle is your choice, however, I would never ever recommend this to anybody ever. Especially those who are fitness oriented. It may work for some people, but ruined me.
Well I'm 22 and I'm trying to start this holistic living with vegan/raw, and so far I enjoy eating this way but I don't want to damage my body. How did you treat you chronic inflammation and why did you have it while on this diet? I do know it's the high level of carbs because in the past I've done ultra low carb diets and they worked amazing for me, but I still want to eat healthy and no animal products, I honestly feel that our bodies aren't meant for them. Any advice you would recommend?

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Well I'm 22 and I'm trying to start this holistic living with vegan/raw, and so far I enjoy eating this way but I don't want to damage my body. How did you treat you chronic inflammation and why did you have it while on this diet? I do know it's the high level of carbs because in the past I've done ultra low carb diets and they worked amazing for me, but I still want to eat healthy and no animal products, I honestly feel that our bodies aren't meant for them. Any advice you would recommend?
I didn't know about inflammation until a few years ago, long after the damage. Now, lots of fish oil and less inflammatory foods. Grains are real bad for inflammation...
You should research athletes and vegan diets and see what you get. I honestly can't help too much because there are few vegan complete protein sources.
Something else to think about though...genetically modified fruit/veg/grains probably aren't meant for us either :)
But if weight loss is your goal, it really comes down to carbohydrate consumption. But you also need to understand that there is a difference between WEIGHT loss and FAT loss. I have a feeling much of the weight you lose if any, will be lean tissue, making you "skinny fat"
Sorry to be harsh but I know more about vegetarian/vegan than many people since I lived it for so many years

heatherh

heatherh

Awards
Nooo your not harsh at all! This is the info I'm looking for and yes the "skinny fat" is exactly what's happening and I hate it! Ill try to do some more research on my own but I just can't find a lot out there, but thanks so much if you have any other info/opinions I'd love to hear it all!

heatherh

heatherh

Awards
Oh and GMO foods are a huge concern of mine, I only buy organic :)

Ballesteri

Ballesteri

Awards
Oh and GMO foods are a huge concern of mine, I only buy organic :)
Don't go vegan,, If you are active...Buy organic Eggs & eat the whites, buy organic whey or free range from New Zealand, buy Shelton's free-range, their turkey jurky is great for snacks, or http://www.nogii.com/superprotein.html--....
buy Vitamineral Green

Remember it is not so much the little SPLUGES you make that cause ill heath as it is having an unhealthy lifestyle.

Taking something like Vitamineral will offset a whole host of health issues even if you were to eat a good but not great diet.

Have a balanced diet & try your best to eat Organic- Free Range-non GMO- but also include lots of organic veggies....Join a Co-op.
Plant a Garden...Shop at Your local Health Food Store.

Just remember that it is all the good stuff you are putting in your body that really counts as opposed to the bad thing every now & then...

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Hi, I recently started living a fully vegan and 80% raw lifestyle and I've notice I've been gaining weight like crazy. Most people lose weight and I'm the opposite. Any one experience this?? I've also been slacking on going to the gym which I'm sure that play into part but I've been lacking so much energy and motivation most of the time :( can anyone recommend a good vegan/raw diet to lose weight?!
you say your vegan and 80% raw and you have low energy and weight gain. just throwing it out there but many cruciferous veggies contain goitrotens in their raw form and when consumed in large quantities can interfere with your thyroid which would cause low energy and weight gain. again just a shot in the dark but wanted to throw that out there.

Hansel

Hansel

Banned
Awards
I'm confused threeFs. Did you predominantly eat grains on your vegetarian diet? I just don't know how you got so inflamed eating fruits and veggies, while vegetarian/vegan advocates such as Drs. Esselstyn and Campbell have literally documented inflammation levels practically disappear on a plant-based diet. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, I'm seriously just interested in how your inflammation levels climbed when in reality they should have plummeted.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dales raw protein bars

Vegan and amazing

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You "feel" that our bodies aren't meant to consume animal products? Heather, I recommend much research on your end from reputable sources, not what you read on the internet. What you're feeling is ultimately not what is the most healthy thing for your body as an omnivorous being. You should consult a dietitian, pay for one session and have them direct you on where to start you're research.

A good place to research would be pubmed. Look at health effects of what you're trying to accomplish here etc... There is sooooo much misinformation on the internet it's nauseating. There is a good chance you could like threef really end up damaging yourself by malnutrition.

You may be experiencing some weight gain due to digestion issues as well. It's best to try and ease into a new eating pattern than to jump both feet first. That's not the most beneficial way to get your body accustomed to a new diet.