Use or Freeze By Date

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anyone else, for one reason for another, miss the use or freeze by date on meat/chicken and still eat it anyway? I hate when I do this and although it’s rare I do, I always battle whether it’ll be fine and eat it anyway or my anxiety roars and wins instead. What spurs this today is chicken I bough from Walmart Pickup Friday, and just looked today and the use by date was literally the day after I picked it up. Guess meat shortages are over!

GreekTheBrick

GreekTheBrick

Awards
  • Established
Well, it happens often. Most times I am fine, very few, I camp in the toilet.(not a bad thing from time to time). Many pay money to supps and drugs for that colon cleanse, no?

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Those dates are just guesses. You are normally fine a couple days after just be sure to keep it cold. Just make sure it's not turning colors or smelling funny etc. I have cooked meat 2-3 days past no problem and some can go even longer. Also with all the partial salt/water solutions they inject now days too it keeps it preserved a bit more (unless you buy pure organic stuff).

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks guys. I ate it; still alive lol.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I know it's late - but if meat goes bad, it usually starts to smell pretty quickly. If I have serious questions, I won't risk it and I do try to use it or freeze it by the date - but I've had times where I've even gone 4-5 days past the date and been fine. I have found that, at least around here, Aldi's meet seems to last WELL beyond the date on the packaging. I don't know why or how. In contrast, the Stop & Shop meat may go bad the day of or even in rare occasions, the day before the date.