USC Loss......

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, with the loss of USC, what do you guys think? Someone else going to win the Bowl? or is it possible for them to come back? Too early to predict?

please discuss........

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, with the loss of USC, what do you guys think? Someone else going to win the Bowl? or is it possible for them to come back? Too early to predict?

please discuss........
I think they have about a 75% chance to play for the national championship. This only happens as long the rest of the top 5 teams screw up, which is how things played in LSU's favor last year. I am not holding my breath though, b/c the Pac 10=rediculously weak schedule, and they need to beat another strong team to go up in the BCS ratings.

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Losing to a un ranked team hurts their chances a lot. As previously noted the Pac 10 is weak and that's pretty much who they play the rest of the year. I'd say no shot

:bruce3:

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
Losing to a un ranked team hurts their chances a lot. As previously noted the Pac 10 is weak and that's pretty much who they play the rest of the year. I'd say no shot

:bruce3:
its funny how penn state pummeled oregon state and a so-called no.1 usc team lost to them. oh well..the bcs has its favorites. i bet usc does not fall below #10 over this..while penn state will be stuck at #12. just my 2 pennies.:think:

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If USC goes undefeated the rest of the way... they have a good shot at getting in. The SEC and the Big 12 are likely to beat the hell out of each other from here on out. Plus they both have conference championships, in which the underdog always has a shot.

Here's what SHOULD happen: USC should be dismissed. They had their shot. Ditto for Ohio State, even if they don't lose again. Penn State is the ONLY school from a major conference outside of the SEC and Big 12 that should even be talked about (Happy, plenny?). If someone mentions BYU, Boise St., or Utah... I'm going to reach through the internet and slap you.

My prediction: The BCS Championship Game will be the winner of the Oklahoma-Texas game vs. the winner of the LSU-Alabama game. Then again... can't sleep on Penn State either.

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
If USC goes undefeated the rest of the way... they have a good shot at getting in. The SEC and the Big 12 are likely to beat the hell out of each other from here on out. Plus they both have conference championships, in which the underdog always has a shot.

Here's what SHOULD happen: USC should be dismissed. They had their shot. Ditto for Ohio State, even if they don't lose again. Penn State is the ONLY school from a major conference outside of the SEC and Big 12 that should even be talked about (Happy, plenny?). If someone mentions BYU, Boise St., or Utah... I'm going to reach through the internet and slap you.

My prediction: The BCS Championship Game will be the winner of the Oklahoma-Texas game vs. the winner of the LSU-Alabama game. Then again... can't sleep on Penn State either.

As far as the Big 12, you are already counting out on Texas Tech?

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As far as the Big 12, you are already counting out on Texas Tech?
Yes. Why wouldn't I? It's the same story every year. They throw the ball all over the place against pathetic teams until they meet up with a real defense or another potent offense. Which wins am I supposed to be impressed by? Eastern Washington? Massachusetts?

They will lose at least 3 of their last 4 games, when they have to play Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma St., and Oklahoma.

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
Yes. Why wouldn't I? It's the same story every year. They throw the ball all over the place against pathetic teams until they meet up with a real defense or another potent offense. Which wins am I supposed to be impressed by? Eastern Washington? Massachusetts?

They will lose at least 3 of their last 4 games, when they have to play Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma St., and Oklahoma.

We do have to give them credit that their running games has been upped since last year. Also, their defense is a whole lot better than last year. Well Texas comes into town, which is a advantage for Tech.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I think USC can still be in the big game but they'll need some help. I think they can get in as long as there's just one undefeated team coming out of the SEC or the Big 12. It would still be hard to justify their spot if Alabama, LSU, or even Georgia get through their schedule with 1 loss to a top SEC opponent.

I still think Cal has a 25% shot at beating USC but they'd have to play the game of their lives. Cal's running game is deadlier than Oregon State's. Cal would be undefeated had they not had that 35-27 letdown at Maryland early in the year.

I expected more competition out of Arizona St. but they were simply overrated at the beginning of the year.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
It would still be hard to justify their spot if Alabama, LSU, or even Georgia get through their schedule with 1 loss to a top SEC opponent.
Right on. The SEC schedule is razors compared to any other. Any SEC team that can get thru the season and the SEC championship and "only" suffer one loss deserves a crack at the BCS.
One loss Florida (2006) and one loss LSU (2007) both destroyed OSU.

Don't be too fast to rule out the Gators in the SEC East just yet either. They play #6 LSU in The Swamp Saturday night.
Ahh, SEC football. Nothin' comes close.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right on. The SEC schedule is razors compared to any other. Any SEC team that can get thru the season and the SEC championship and "only" suffer one loss deserves a crack at the BCS.

Don't be too fast to rule out the Gators in the SEC East just yet either. They play #6 LSU in The Swamp Saturday night.
Well said my fellow gator! :D

It should be some quality SEC football in the swamp this saturday night. It doesn't get any better.

I'm hoping florida can come out firing on all cylinders, and playing in sync on offense. Tebow looks uncomfortable in the pocket at times. I think he's having some difficulty in adjusting to the new mindset they want him to have. He's overthrown and underthrown far too many wide open receivers already. I hope to see it click for him this weekend, and the offense as a whole with it.

GO GATORS!!

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We do have to give them credit that their running games has been upped since last year. Also, their defense is a whole lot better than last year.
No... we don't. Dude, how do you even know they're better on ANY level? Have you seen their schedule thus far? They haven't played a decent team this year.

Eastern Washington W 49-24
at Nevada W 35-19
SMU W 43-7
Massachusetts W 56-14
at Kansas State W 58-28

So, giving up 24 points to Eastern Washington and 28 to K-State is an improvement on defense?

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We do have to give them credit that their running games has been upped since last year. Also, their defense is a whole lot better than last year. Well Texas comes into town, which is a advantage for Tech.
Now I'm absolutely convinced Tech is a pretender. Nebraska, a team Missouri destroyed 52-17, scored 31 and took them to overtime. Nebraska's QB Ganz was 38-46 for 357 yards passing. Yeah, Tech has really improved their defense. :lol:

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I think Texas Tech is one of those teams that are good enough to cause excitement (like BYU) but not a realistic threat. It's hard to say that the BIG 12 has tough defenses after watching the Texas-Oklahoma game. Missouri's defense is pretty soft too.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Florida 51 LSU 21

Told you not to rule out the Gators.

You are right "Trauma 1" if this team is firing on all cylinders they are scary good. Last night they beat the #4 team in the country by 30 points!!

If Florida keeps getting better I see them running the table and heading into SEC championship with 1 loss - probably meeting Alabama.
Winner of that should have a great shot getting into Championship game (even if that team has one loss) because the last 2 years have proven a one loss SEC team can destroy any other undefeated team in BCS (usually someone from the weak schedule Big Ten). This year that team could be Penn State who could go undefeated. But they just don't really play anybody that's ranked except OSU (which was OSU's downfall the last 2 years; weak schedule - undefeated - BCS - blown out).

But if you go undefeated in the Big Ten I guess you'll get a ticket which stinks because there will be sooo many great one loss teams still standing at the end of this season in much harder divisions.

All of which, of course, means WE NEED A BCS PLAYOFF SYSTEM!!!! Just 4 teams in the playoff round (3 stinking games) would solve a thousand arguments.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Florida 51 LSU 21

Told you not to rule out the Gators.

You are right "Trauma 1" if this team is firing on all cylinders they are scary good. Last night they beat the #4 team in the country by 30 points!!

If Florida keeps getting better I see them running the table and heading into SEC championship with 1 loss - probably meeting Alabama.
Winner of that should have a great shot getting into Championship game (even if that team has one loss) because the last 2 years have proven a one loss SEC team can destroy any other undefeated team in BCS (usually someone from the weak schedule Big Ten). This year that team could be Penn State who could go undefeated. But they just don't really play anybody that's ranked except OSU (which was OSU's downfall the last 2 years; weak schedule - undefeated - BCS - blown out).

But if you go undefeated in the Big Ten I guess you'll get a ticket which stinks because there will be sooo many great one loss teams still standing at the end of this season in much harder divisions.

All of which, of course, means WE NEED A BCS PLAYOFF SYSTEM!!!! Just 4 teams in the playoff round (3 stinking games) would solve a thousand arguments.
They came out firing on all cylinders my gator brother! :clap2:

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This was a great weekend if you're a Trojan fan... 69 points on offense, 0 points allowed on defense, and Ohio State wins big against a ranked opponent. If the Buckeyes beat Penn State next week, their stock rises even more.

Sadly enough, USC is sitting pretty right now.

bigzach1234

bigzach1234

Awards
  • Established
penn state will be too much for the buck eyes

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, inexplicably enough, USC is #5 in the BCS standings. If they win out in convincing fashion, they've got a great shot at playing in the championship game.

Sad but true.

This system really sucks, and that's coming from a fan of the current #2 team.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
USC skates again

Sadly enough, USC is sitting pretty right now.
Makes no sense.

Oh, that's right - USC beat OSU - who beat who?? The USC rank is almost as bizarre as the one-loss OSU rank - another strength of schedule pansy.

Not to worry though rubberring, the computer that kicks in at season's end will weigh Strength of Schedule which is how Florida jumped USC and Michigan in '06 (remember that some actually called for a OSU-Michigan rematch in the BCS??) Not to mention that you (ALABAMA) still control your own destiny.

In the end, any one loss SEC team will jump a one loss USC or OSU or PSU after the entire strength of schedule evaluation.

You worry about USC though - being such media darlings.

WE NEED A PLAYOFF SYSTEM.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Posted 2 months ago:
Winner of that should have a great shot getting into Championship game.
Well what do ya know...
Florida 31 Alabama 20
Florida goes to BCS Championship

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established

Posted 2 months ago - old and retarded with the same arguments made the last few years.

Please consider the hierarchy of SEC teams now. UF/Bama - top notch. Ole Miss - very good.

Rest of conference - not so good.

Please stop with this superior talk. The middle and bottom of the SEC are pretty bad.

Hell look at LSU. They have NO quality wins. NONE.

Anyway - back to rooting for Texas to stay #2...

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Posted 2 months ago - old and retarded with the same arguments made the last few years.

Please consider the hierarchy of SEC teams now. UF/Bama - top notch. Ole Miss - very good.

Rest of conference - not so good.

Please stop with this superior talk. The middle and bottom of the SEC are pretty bad.

Hell look at LSU. They have NO quality wins. NONE.

Anyway - back to rooting for Texas to stay #2...
Cane fan.
That explains the anger/frustration.
UF will be tops in FL as long as Meyer is coach.
Could be a long wait.
Don't despair - Miami figures into this year's BCS Title Game. You'll be hosting UF and OU.:lol:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Cane fan.
That explains the anger/frustration.
UF will be tops in FL as long as Meyer is coach.
Could be a long wait.
Don't despair - Miami figures into this year's BCS Title Game. You'll be hosting UF and OU.:lol:
Gator fan.
Not angry.

We'll see, brah. Ask Turban what happened when Ramon Buchanon signed with Miami last year. (Safety from Gator territory.) ;)

We need a better OC and the kids need time.

We'll see you after Tebow and Harvin are gone.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Old Man Gator,
Perhaps I should explain. Mom works for UF in the college of medicine. Brother goes to Santa Fe.
Thusly I'm in G'ville at least a few times a year. Was there for Thanksgiving.

If I really and truly hated the Gators that much - ala Woody Hayes and Michigan - I wouldn't even go near the town.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Gator fan.
Come on.
The "Canes" stuff all over your avatar and signature obviously points to your sentiments.
Didn't think it possible to be both Cane and Gator fan. One or the other, much like 'Noles and Gators.

Anyway, I graduated UF '79. My oldest daughter UF grad '07. My middle daughter is senior there now. Actually we are from Pennsylvania. Makes for interesting family "discussions" - Dad and brother both went to Penn State. Half the family bleeds Blue and White, the other half Blue and Orange. Very unusual situation. Big Ten versus SEC debates all the time. SEC has certainly done my "side" right the last 2 Title games vs Ohio State.

Does your mom teach at college of medicine?? My daughter is pre-med.