Unable to maintain same reps throughout squats?

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
I start off with 315 for 10 reps on squats and then by the end of the workout I can only get 6! What am I doing wrong and why do I keep getting fatigued during squats ever since i started squatting past 300!i feel like I’m gonna fall asleep between sets!

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you start off with 315 by 10 it is 100 percent normal to not be able to hit 10 for the 2nd set. With each set your reps will be less. This is why I keep a log to ensure that if I do 4 sets of lets say 10 8,7,6. The next time I’m in the gym I want to aim for 10,9,8,7. Might not get it but if I increase even 1 rep I’m doing ok

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you start off with 315 by 10 it is 100 percent normal to not be able to hit 10 for the 2nd set. With each set your reps will be less. This is why I keep a log to ensure that if I do 4 sets of lets say 10 8,7,6. The next time I’m in the gym I want to aim for 10,9,8,7. Might not get it but if I increase even 1 rep I’m doing ok

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
Bro you just made my day! I don’t remember this happening when I squatted 2 plates I could easily maintain reps! Is it because I am squatting heavier now??

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I start off with 315 for 10 reps on squats and then by the end of the workout I can only get 6! What am I doing wrong and why do I keep getting fatigued during squats ever since i started squatting past 300!i feel like I’m gonna fall asleep between sets!
What do you expect to happen if your training to failure? That should happen. One way to fix would be lightening up your load and doing more volume, of continue the way you are. There is nothing wrong with that.

If you are trying to hit a certain number of reps and sets, for instance 5x5 you need to pick a weight that you can probably do for 8 reps, then you do sets of 5. Most will not be to failure, maybe the last rep of the last set if you do it right.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you go all out on sets you will lose the ability to repeat the performance. You can repeat the effort, but will likely fall short on the performance.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Exactly why I don’t like straight sets like these. In order to finish with a set of ten you have to start out way too light. Way too much energy burned with the first sets which could better be used. Same with 5X5. Not trying to start debate and I know many have success with it. If your first set of ten is max effort drop weight for following sets to allow the numbers you’re trying to hit or just realize each set is going to drop in reps if you keep weight the same.

NATURALLYHARD

Awards
  • Established
Exactly why I don’t like straight sets like these. In order to finish with a set of ten you have to start out way too light. Way too much energy burned with the first sets which could better be used. Same with 5X5. Not trying to start debate and I know many have success with it. If your first set of ten is max effort drop weight for following sets to allow the numbers you’re trying to hit or just realize each set is going to drop in reps if you keep weight the same.
Igor how come I could maintain reps when I was squatting 2 plates to failure??

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Much lighter weight and not near as taxing on the muscles.
Also could have extremely long rest times and not to actual failure.

Lots of people don’t actually go to failure...and honestly with squats absolute failure shouldn’t happen often at all imo. Accessories yes, compound really hard sets with maintaining form.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Look at your total volume. Each workouts loads leads somewhere. Maximize more sets if you cannot reach the desired rep range right away. It all adds up later down the road.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Look at your total volume. Each workouts loads leads somewhere. Maximize more sets if you cannot reach the desired rep range right away. It all adds up later down the road.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are currently closer to your 1RM at 315 than at sub-300. Deep squats tax the CNS which why you are becoming more fatigued.
Answer: Squat more as in more sets until that 315 feels like sub-300lb weight.
That really is it. If no injury then we all gradually become stronger.
Progression is incremental once experienced. 315 is experienced level.