UFC or Boxing

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Totally. Dudes touching each other is so gay, makes me uncomfortable as well - which, by the way, is a totally normal, heterosexual response to watching an athletic event involving two men.

Personally, I prefer watching two men wearing knee-high latex boots and satin boxer shorts repeatedly hug one another. (Particularly, I love it when they have masculine nicknames like, "Sugar," "Marvelous," "Pretty Boy," "Winky," and "Golden Boy.") I mean, come on, the only thing more hetero than that is posting on a forum where 90% of the users (such as myself and Southpaw, here) display semi-nude photos of themselves for other men to see. AM I RIGHT!?

Condescension aside - which you deserve, by the way, for not only coming off as unfortunately uncomfortable with your own sexuality and homophobic, but ignorant as well - these characterizations are trite and silly. I can understand not enjoying the sport from an athletic standpoint, disagreeable as I may find the possible arguments for it, but reducing the argument to, "So gay, bro" makes you come off like a petulant frat boy.

More than that, it makes both boxing and MMA fans appear as if we are one-dimensional caricatures incapable of appreciating athletics in general. From my perspective, that is untrue: the majority of people with whom I watch MMA also watch boxing, and vice versa. Finally, the 'Affliction bro' is as or more annoying to me than it is to you, mostly because it is an inaccurate and unfair characterization.
Still fighting the good fight?

Is it that you dislike boxing, or when people take the stance that boxing is great and MMA is awful?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm only semi-nude from the waist down, according to Google that definitely doesn't qualify as gay.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You have one poster who criticized the Hopkins/Dawson fight and rightfully so. But just a few months prior, Hopkins had an amazing performance against a younger stronger foe in Jean Pascal. To me the litmus test will be whether or not MMA is embraced years from now, building up the same type of tradition that boxing has for so many years, whether you like the sport or not. It's all a matter of perception. Pop culture has taken to boxing, in the form of movies like Rocky and Raging Bull which are iconic. You have movies like "Warrior" which domestically has grossed $13,631,942. MMA is fairly young and we shall see if if withstands the test of time.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
You have one poster who criticized the Hopkins/Dawson fight and rightfully so. But just a few months prior, Hopkins had an amazing performance against a younger stronger foe in Jean Pascal. To me the litmus test will be the whether or not MMA is embraced years from now, building up the same type of tradition that boxing has for so many years, whether you like the sport or not. It's all a matter of perception. Pop culture has taken to boxing, in the form of movies like Rocky and Raging Bull which are iconic. You have movies like "Warrior" which domestically has grossed $13,631,942. MMA is fairly young and we shall see if if withstands the test of time.
Can I ask why you quoted me when I proposed a question directly to someone else?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I meant to take your quote out, but I was responding from phone. My apologies.
No worries, I get confused easily.

So are there any gray area in here?
(I'm not reading through 6 pages)

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No worries, I get confused easily.

So are there any gray area in here?
(I'm not reading through 6 pages)
Not really. Both sides of the equation just defending their respective sport. I'm not an MMA fan but I can appreciate some of the Brazilian athletes and their striking ability.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Totally. Dudes touching each other is so gay, makes me uncomfortable as well - which, by the way, is a totally normal, heterosexual response to watching an athletic event involving two men.

Personally, I prefer watching two men wearing knee-high latex boots and satin boxer shorts repeatedly hug one another. (Particularly, I love it when they have masculine nicknames like, "Sugar," "Marvelous," "Pretty Boy," "Winky," and "Golden Boy.") I mean, come on, the only thing more hetero than that is posting on a forum where 90% of the users (such as myself and Southpaw, here) display semi-nude photos of themselves for other men to see. AM I RIGHT!?

Condescension aside - which you deserve, by the way, for not only coming off as unfortunately uncomfortable with your own sexuality and homophobic, but ignorant as well - these characterizations are trite and silly. I can understand not enjoying the sport from an athletic standpoint, disagreeable as I may find the possible arguments for it, but reducing the argument to, "So gay, bro" makes you come off like a petulant frat boy.

More than that, it makes both boxing and MMA fans appear as if we are one-dimensional caricatures incapable of appreciating athletics in general. From my perspective, that is untrue: the majority of people with whom I watch MMA also watch boxing, and vice versa. Finally, the 'Affliction bro' is as or more annoying to me than it is to you, mostly because it is an inaccurate and unfair characterization.
I am willing to throw out the homophobic aspect of it,but stand by my observation that their is very few skilled fighters in MMA.Most of the one`s I see are no more than barroom brawlers who want to take it to the ground as soon as they get tagged hard.
You are a large man and could wear an opponent out just by getting him on the ground and wallowing all over him.Is there any skill in that?No,just a matter of you having size advantage.I also maintain that there is no honor in hitting someone when they are down.This just comes off as being cowardly and emphasizes a certain fear factor and lack of confidence in one`s fighting ability in that they feel like they have to strike their opponent while he is down.

I will relent to the fact that I do occasionally enjoy a MMA fight when I see two combatants who actually have fighting skills,but they are few and far in between.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
273492_1527589884_4785356_n.jpg
Oh c'mon! You mean you're not into dudes who rock a size "smedium" tap out T, with a ton of bedazzler on it? You should see my Halloween costume. :)
I think these two started Halloween early.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not really. Both sides of the equation just defending their respective sport. I'm not an MMA fan but I can appreciate some of the Brazilian athletes and their striking ability.
Agreed.This is one subject that there is just not much gray area.Most seem to like one and hate the other.I do not know anyone personally who enjoy both.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am willing to throw out the homophobic aspect of it,but stand by my observation that their is very few skilled fighters in MMA.Most of the one`s I see are no more than barroom brawlers who want to take it to the ground as soon as they get tagged hard.
You are a large man and could wear an opponent out just by getting him on the ground and wallowing all over him.Is there any skill in that?No,just a matter of you having size advantage.I also maintain that there is no honor in hitting someone when they are down.This just comes off as being cowardly and emphasizes a certain fear factor and lack of confidence in one`s fighting ability in that they feel like they have to strike their opponent while he is down.

I will relent to the fact that I do occasionally enjoy a MMA fight when I see two combatants who actually have fighting skills,but they are few and far in between.
No skill in getting a man to the ground!? Are you freaking kidding me? Wrestling is one of the oldest martial arts in existence and is one of the toughest sports to train. Contrary to your one-track thinking, you are not helpless once you are on the ground and there are many, many fights that are won with the person on his back. "Fighting" is not something that only occurs with two people on the feet.

Boxing proponents have the same criticism every single time and have since MMA really hit big ~'05. I enjoy them both, but realize that I am watching a different sport while enjoying each of them. I said this a few pages back, but the only reason this whole "debate" exists is money. You cannot say that boxing does not feel partially threatened by MMA in terms of market share. Conversely, there is no great Muay Thai v Boxing arguments because there is not a battle for market share.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed.This is one subject that there is just not much gray area.Most seem to like one and hate the other.I do not know anyone personally who enjoy both.
In that case, you have a very vanilla circle of friends. On almost every MMA blog I frequent, and amongst my circle of 'MMA' friends, there is a considerable amount of overlap: these people tend to lament the poorer striking displays in MMA, as you are now, while lauding those fighters (JDS, Mark Hominick, A. Silva) and the like whose striking technique is crisp and clean.

That said, your position is not all that surprising. I notice this debate crops up far more frequently from 'the boxing side' than it does from the 'MMA side,' which is a sad thing to say.

Beyond that, and as Rodja mentioned, wrestling is one of the oldest martial arts, and something akin to modern mixed combat (Pankration) was in existence as early as 1500 years ago. The notion that a martial art that old has no skill is painfully ignorant.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In that case, you have a very vanilla circle of friends. On almost every MMA blog I frequent, and amongst my circle of 'MMA' friends, there is a considerable amount of overlap: these people tend to lament the poorer striking displays in MMA, as you are now, while lauding those fighters (JDS, Mark Hominick, A. Silva) and the like whose striking technique is crisp and clean.

That said, your position is not all that surprising. I notice this debate crops up far more frequently from 'the boxing side' than it does from the 'MMA side,' which is a sad thing to say.

Beyond that, and as Rodja mentioned, wrestling is one of the oldest martial arts, and something akin to modern mixed combat (Pankration) was in existence as early as 1500 years ago. The notion that a martial art that old has no skill is painfully ignorant.
There is a lot of merit in well performed grappling techniques,sadly I see very little of it in the few matches I watch.Really,for the most part,that is the central part of my dislike of MMA,I see very little well executed fighting techniques.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No skill in getting a man to the ground!? Are you freaking kidding me? Wrestling is one of the oldest martial arts in existence and is one of the toughest sports to train. Contrary to your one-track thinking, you are not helpless once you are on the ground and there are many, many fights that are won with the person on his back. "Fighting" is not something that only occurs with two people on the feet.

Boxing proponents have the same criticism every single time and have since MMA really hit big ~'05. I enjoy them both, but realize that I am watching a different sport while enjoying each of them. I said this a few pages back, but the only reason this whole "debate" exists is money. You cannot say that boxing does not feel partially threatened by MMA in terms of market share. Conversely, there is no great Muay Thai v Boxing arguments because there is not a battle for market share.
I will agree with you on the part that if a person has some legitimate fighting skills,it is hard to get them on the ground and keep them there.
I think my biggest problem with MMA is the whole "Affliction" crowd.You have to admit,they give the sport a bad name.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is a lot of merit in well performed grappling techniques,sadly I see very little of it in the few matches I watch.Really,for the most part,that is the central part of my dislike of MMA,I see very little well executed fighting techniques.
Some of the Brazilian guys, especially the lighter weight guys aren't as bad as it relates to striking. Silva is okay and a lot of that is just raw athleticism, but even still he tends to punch "very" wide and telegraphs a lot his punches, albeit from a boxer's perspective.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The biggest irony in our whole discussion is that my formal training is in mixed Martial Arts.The only training I had as a boxer came from friends who were trained in boxing.I just always loved the "pureness" of boxing.

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Boxing hands down. It is the sweet science, and Money Mayweather is a technically perfect fighter and a joy to watch his defense. MMA is for the ADD generation and the wrestling crowd that needs instant gratification and storylines. Using all styles of martial arts/etc just makes for sloppy fighting...and the crowd goes wild.
I wanna see PAC man beat the crap out of mayweather

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some of the Brazilian guys, especially the lighter weight guys aren't as bad as it relates to striking. Silva is okay and a lot of that is just raw athleticism, but even still he tends to punch "very" wide and telegraphs a lot his punches, albeit from a boxer's perspective.
This is one of the main things that jumps out at me about MMA,most of the guys I see fight telegraph their punches from a mile away.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The biggest irony in our whole discussion is that my formal training is in mixed Martial Arts.The only training I had as a boxer came from friends who were trained in boxing.I just always loved the "pureness" of boxing.
I grew up around boxing, but I also trained alongside MMA guys at various boxing gyms. I'd be the first to say that I couldn't do what they do in terms of a ground game. But I've also seen them spar against pure boxers, one in particular where a guy weighing a little over 200lbs, was matched up against a kid training in the amateurs. The kid weighed around 147lbs (welter), needless to say the kid won easily (boxers are trained to see punches coming from a mile away). The guy's corner ended up capping the sparring at 3 rounds because he was taking too much punishment.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will agree with you on the part that if a person has some legitimate fighting skills,it is hard to get them on the ground and keep them there.
I think my biggest problem with MMA is the whole "Affliction" crowd.You have to admit,they give the sport a bad name.
There are 100's of Olympic/Pan-Am medalists in wrestling (both freestyle and Greco-Roman) and Judo in addition to multiple time ADCC/Mundial champions competing in MMA. I'm not sure which fights you are watching, but nearly every fight is dictated by the wrestling and/or submission grappling. The size thing comes up all the time a though being the bigger man automatically makes you indomitable. How are the careers of Bob Sapp, Ron Waterman, Bobby Lashley, etc. doing right now?

Every sport's casual fans are annoying and are a necessary evil for financial success.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I grew up around boxing, but I also trained alongside MMA guys at various boxing gyms. I'd be the first to say that I couldn't do what they do in terms of a ground game. But I've also seen them spar against pure boxers, one in particular where a guy weighing a little over 200lbs, was matched up against a kid training in the amateurs. The kid weighed around 147lbs (welter), needless to say the kid won easily (boxers are trained to see punches coming from a mile away). The guy's corner ended up capping the sparring at 3 rounds because he was taking too much punishment.
A philosopher I enjoy, Martin Heidegger, once said, "Judging the worth of philosophy by applying to it the standards of science is like judging the power and prowess of a fish by throwing it on land."

Wrestling and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu have significant overlap, so by this rubric, I ought to judge the worth of any given wrestler according to whether or not he knows how to apply an arm-bar correctly. Except that I understand that each sports assumes its own rubric, and is relative only to itself. The same is true for boxing, MMA, gymnastics, basketball, and cricket.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Big weekend for both sports: Pac/Marquez III and JDS/Cain (first show on Fox). I'll be watching both of them.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
LOL Tribal Tats!! hahahaha those are classic
Okies are a different breed for sure.Seems like 75% of the people in this state are wannabe somethings.Every hillbilly in this state thinks a goattee,tattoo of any kind and a mean stare equivocates to automatic bad***.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Okies are a different breed for sure.Seems like 75% of the people in this state are wannabe somethings.Every hillbilly in this state thinks a goattee,tattoo of any kind and a mean stare equivocates to automatic bad***.
If that's how they feel, they should stay right there in that state, anywhere else might be dangerous for them...LOL

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If that's how they feel, they should stay right there in that state, anywhere else might be dangerous for them...LOL
Year after year,this state ranks top 5 in all the bad categories nationally.Divorce rate,sucide,domestic abuse,child abuse,etc.Has to be a reason.The only conclusion I can reach having lived here most of my life is that Okies are some f*****up people.

Sarge911

Awards
UFC by far , boxing used to be my favorite but i think that its really corrupt . I started seeing waying too many rediculous decisions over and over.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Aleksandar37 MMA 8
MMA 2