Trying to gain weight.

Porky101

Porky101

Awards
I am new to this and hope I’m going about this the correct way and on the right topic.

I am a 44 yr old male at 160lbs. I was around 190-200lbs and then got hit with Covid or whatever and it took a toll on my appetite and digestive system and dropped me to 160ish. I’ve been supplementing calories with a mass gainer (Naked Mass - less sugar than other mass gainers which is easier on my gut). My calorie intake is around 2500.

Trying to get to around 175lbs. I use resistance bands at home 4x a week. I looked through some of the other threads and got some great ideas but thought maybe I should post my details. Any advice and or suggestions on how to increase my weight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

composner

Awards
Welcome! First set of questions: do you measure macronutrient intake? Do you have an accurate estimate of your basal metabolic rate? Are you looking to build muscle or just literally gain weight? What is your resistance band program like? Have you ever done weights/strength training at a gym? Do you do any cardio? Has your weight been changing at 2500kc?

I'm a good bit younger than you but I'd definitely be losing weight or barely maintaining at 2500/day. An easy 1st step would be to add a protein shake (30-40g whey protein, low sugar milk - fairlife is the best if you can get it and dairy agrees with you - fruit, peanut butter or something similar) each day and step up the intensity of whatever strength training you're doing so more of those calories go to building muscle rather than fat.

Glad you're here and wishing you good luck on your fitness journey!

Porky101

Porky101

Awards
Welcome! First set of questions: do you measure macronutrient intake? Do you have an accurate estimate of your basal metabolic rate? Are you looking to build muscle or just literally gain weight? What is your resistance band program like? Have you ever done weights/strength training at a gym? Do you do any cardio? Has your weight been changing at 2500kc?

I'm a good bit younger than you but I'd definitely be losing weight or barely maintaining at 2500/day. An easy 1st step would be to add a protein shake (30-40g whey protein, low sugar milk - fairlife is the best if you can get it and dairy agrees with you - fruit, peanut butter or something similar) each day and step up the intensity of whatever strength training you're doing so more of those calories go to building muscle rather than fat.

Glad you're here and wishing you good luck on your fitness journey!
Thanks for responding! I really have not started keeping records or tracking any numbers yet, just roughly estimates of calories and protein. Which is around 2500 calories and 100-125g of protein. My resistance band training is basic, try and do about 20-30 minutes 3x a week. I do have some weight training experience, but nothing recent. No cardio. Weight has not changed. My appetite is very low.

So should I add protein shake on top of mass gainer too? Also, is there a best time to take the mass gainer? Sometimes I think I wasting it drinking it during work but it helps with giving me calories.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks for responding! I really have not started keeping records or tracking any numbers yet, just roughly estimates of calories and protein. Which is around 2500 calories and 100-125g of protein. My resistance band training is basic, try and do about 20-30 minutes 3x a week. I do have some weight training experience, but nothing recent. No cardio. Weight has not changed. My appetite is very low.

So should I add protein shake on top of mass gainer too? Also, is there a best time to take the mass gainer? Sometimes I think I wasting it drinking it during work but it helps with giving me calories.
One of the questions that he asked you was, Are you trying to just gain weight, or are you trying to gain muscle weight?

If you are trying to gain muscle weight, you really need to start weight training.
If you don't care what kind of weight you gain (guys, as weird as it may sound, some people don't care what kind of weight they gain. They just want to gain weight)... You should add a shake to your other food and supplements.
If possible, it should include weight gainer powder, peanut butter, milk (preferably whole), and ice cream.
You'd want to drink it after your final meal, before bed.
And keep the rest of your calories as high as possible.
You'll almost certainly gain weight.
But you'll need to keep an eye on it, because you could get sloppy pretty fast.

composner

Awards
One of the questions that he asked you was, Are you trying to just gain weight, or are you trying to gain muscle weight?

If you are trying to gain muscle weight, you really need to start weight training.
If you don't care what kind of weight you gain (guys, as weird as it may sound, some people don't care what kind of weight they gain. They just want to gain weight)... You should add a shake to your other food and supplements.
If possible, it should include weight gainer powder, peanut butter, milk (preferably whole), and ice cream.
Renew gives great advice here, as always -- also, increasing exercise intensity will increase your appetite. 20-30mins resistance band training 3x week isn't nothing, but it's very unlikely you're going to push yourself with just bands to make long term fitness progress. If you were to start a weight training program at a gym that would work for your body, whatever your situation is, that would be a big help to your overall health as well as improve your appetite and lead to weight/muscle gain. And you could do it in 45 min 3 days a week to start. Look up "Starting Strength" and/or some beginner videos from the Fit Father Project, I like both of them a lot for beginners, or you could ask more about programs on this site.

If you're not interested in building muscle with weight training, for whatever reason, that's your choice - just pound that protein shake every day and report back if you're still having issues gaining weight.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
In addition to what has already been said, liquid fats like olive oil added to your meal(s) is one easy way to add calories. If you're looking to add muscle mass, then shooting for about 1 g of protein per lb of bodyweight is generally a pretty good amount for protein intake.

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If your eating 2500 calories and your not gaining weight then you need to eat more. It's as simple as that. There's really no other way around it. 2500 calories is not much food if your moderately active and do some regular exercise

Porky101

Porky101

Awards

I would like to gain muscle weight preferably. I figured the calories and the bands were not going to be enough and I would need more calories and weights too. I was hoping that the mass gainer and resistance bands would do something.

I usually drink a mass gainer shake during my break at work to help me with calories. Is it okay to drink more than one mass/protein drink a day? I will start adding a shake in evening and add peanut butter and ice cream.

What are some of the better mass gaining supplements out there now? It’s been about 20 years since I’ve been in the gym and I’m sure a lot has changed.

Thank you all for your support and advice! I need all the help I can get.

Porky101

Porky101

Awards
If your eating 2500 calories and your not gaining weight then you need to eat more. It's as simple as that. There's really no other way around it. 2500 calories is not much food if your moderately active and do some regular exercise
I agree, it’s just hard for me to get that many calories on a regular basis with my gut issues. I’m having to re-figure my whole diet. I had to completely cut out caffeine and as much sugar as I can. I’ve tried quite a few mass gainers but most of them have too much sugar in them. The only one that doesn’t tear my stomach up is Naked Mass.

I’m going to drink a shake at night time before bed and also get a membership to the little gym up town and hit some weights. I’m trying to get to at least 175lbs. Thank you for your advice! Much appreciated.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would like to gain muscle weight preferably. I figured the calories and the bands were not going to be enough and I would need more calories and weights too. I was hoping that the mass gainer and resistance bands would do something.

I usually drink a mass gainer shake during my break at work to help me with calories. Is it okay to drink more than one mass/protein drink a day? I will start adding a shake in evening and add peanut butter and ice cream.

What are some of the better mass gaining supplements out there now? It’s been about 20 years since I’ve been in the gym and I’m sure a lot has changed.

Thank you all for your support and advice! I need all the help I can get.
No problem brother.
Yeah man, there's (effectively) no limit on the amount of protein and weight gainer shakes and drinks that you can drink in a day.

I'm going to send you a Personal Message....

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Brother I believe your first step is to join a gym, get around some likeminded people and get under some real iron….Start slow, keep a log book…Follow a good program!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
All good info here, Just my add I have found a Food / Nutrition counting App to be a must have and a must use. I like the one called "Lose It" pretty simple and easy to use. The more tools in your tool box the easier to complete the project !

Porky101

Porky101

Awards
Started eating more and drinking 2 gainer shakes and adding ice cream to the one right before bed. Got the contact info for the little gym in town and going to check it out Wednesday on my day off. Thank you all for the advice.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It is funny life style we live, some of up are always trying to lose weight and the other half is trying to gain. I know no one that looks in the mirror and say "Yes I Have Achieved Perfection" Keep at you are getting better everyday !!

Porky101

Porky101

Awards
Just a little update. Been hitting the gym average of 4x a week for about 45 minutes of intense workout. Been eating as much as I can. Feeling good. Weight is at 168lbs. Thanks for all the advice and help from everyone. Very much appreciated!!! Goal is 175-180lbd

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just a little update. Been hitting the gym average of 4x a week for about 45 minutes of intense workout. Been eating as much as I can. Feeling good. Weight is at 168lbs. Thanks for all the advice and help from everyone. Very much appreciated!!! Goal is 175-180lbd
since it looks like you are pretty serious about your endeavor, you should fire up a log over here:

If you just want to gain weight I've never met anyone who can't gain weight on GOMAD lol.
Personally, I'm partial to maintaining the 1g / protein per lb of body weight. (so like 170-200g of protein for you probably) and adding calories via carbs with a balanced fat intake.

That's my personal preference though because I respond incredibly positively to high CLEAN carbs. I get swole, pumped, strong and the weight gain is slow and mostly muscular. I can gain weight incredibly fast when I increase fats and I get FAT fast.

it's funny that some people can't gain weight at 2500 calories. I have to bust my ass in terms of NEAT/output to maintain at 2500 calories. that's the brink of bulking for me. anything at 2500+ and I'm gaining weight. (which is crazy cause I'm younger than you and weigh 30lbs more at only 5'9") I just don't have a fast metabolism compared to many. probably my own fault.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great to see things are headed in the right direction !

mark031111

Awards
If you're not gaining at 2500 calories, consider increasing your intake slightly. Including more healthy fats like avocados and nuts can boost your calories without much volume. Ensure you're getting enough protein for muscle growth, especially since you're exercising. Resistance bands are good; make sure to vary exercises and increase resistance as you improve. Check out this 10 must try resistance band exercises for a total body workout.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A great go to is PB and J sandwiches. Unless you're allergic or don't like them of course. Great way to add carbs, fats and protein and per sandwich is around 250 calories. You can get a scale, put the bread on and zero it and weigh the peanut butter as you spread it on etc. To ensure calories are accurate.

Basically it's simple, moreish, makes a great post workout snack/meal and compared to relying on supplements is cheap as hell. You can buy a week's supply of pb and j sandwiches for about £5. Weight gainers and protein powders are usually over £1 per serving and if your having two or three servings per day it adds up. When weight stalls add another sandwich between meals.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
A great go to is PB and J sandwiches. Unless you're allergic or don't like them of course. Great way to add carbs, fats and protein and per sandwich is around 250 calories. You can get a scale, put the bread on and zero it and weigh the peanut butter as you spread it on etc. To ensure calories are accurate.

Basically it's simple, moreish, makes a great post workout snack/meal and compared to relying on supplements is cheap as hell. You can buy a week's supply of pb and j sandwiches for about £5. Weight gainers and protein powders are usually over £1 per serving and if your having two or three servings per day it adds up. When weight stalls add another sandwich between meals.
One of My first bulk was a 3x week full body workout
6-8 PBJ and 6-8 cups of whole milk every day and they were spaced out between my normal 3 meals. 17-18years old so very high calories high carbs

So breakfast was a protein shake over cereal and then off to the gym, 2 PBJ and 2 cups milk, large turkey grinder and a powerade, 2 PBJ and 2 cartons od milk, steak or chicken with rice, potatoes or pasta, 2-4pbj and cups of milk.

I wish I could still bulk like that lol.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's crazy how a lot of people wouldn't dream of eating pbj because it doesn't sound cool but won't hesitate to eat a protein bar that has almost the same macros at much higher cost. Don't get me wrong I currently eat grenade protein bars cos they taste amazing and we sell them at my work so I get a discount but there are guys that will eat a protein bar and wish it tasted like a mars bar. I tell them that they may as well mix a quick protein shake and eat a mars bar. Macros end up the same as a lot of dedicated protein bars. Sugar levels usually a bit higher in the mars but overall carbs around the same.

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's crazy how a lot of people wouldn't dream of eating pbj because it doesn't sound cool but won't hesitate to eat a protein bar that has almost the same macros at much higher cost. Don't get me wrong I currently eat grenade protein bars cos they taste amazing and we sell them at my work so I get a discount but there are guys that will eat a protein bar and wish it tasted like a mars bar. I tell them that they may as well mix a quick protein shake and eat a mars bar. Macros end up the same as a lot of dedicated protein bars. Sugar levels usually a bit higher in the mars but overall carbs around the same.
One of my go to sandwiches. Curbs my sweet tooth and is high in calories.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It's crazy how a lot of people wouldn't dream of eating pbj because it doesn't sound cool but won't hesitate to eat a protein bar that has almost the same macros at much higher cost.
I agree with you, I love PB, I just don't eat a lot of PB or the protein bars because the fat content doesn't match my goals.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I was 125lbs at 31...
Best thing I ever did was buy a book on Nutrition..and taught myself how to eat properly and changed nearly everything I was doing..
Your gains are made in the Kitchen..
There's a science too it..
What to eat..when..how much..
But..More Quality Food..Period..!!
Z...

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was 125lbs at 31...
Best thing I ever did was buy a book on Nutrition..and taught myself how to eat properly and changed nearly everything I was doing..
Your gains are made in the Kitchen..
all of that is true but holy cow 125lbs, how tall are you? I haven't weighed under 130 since I was like 11 or 12.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
all of that is true but holy cow 125lbs, how tall are you? I haven't weighed under 130 since I was like 11 or 12.
I'm 5'9"....
My mother was a terrible cook..nobody wanted to eat her food growing up..
My childhood was a Nightmare..to put it lightly..
After, I became a single parent, I started to learn about Good Nutrition..because of the young kids..3 and 4 when I got custody..
Started gear at 31...Hell that was 26 yrs ago..
Got really close to my lifetime goal of 200lbs...
I was 198.6lbs about 3 yrs ago..then got sick again..
I'm currently Fighting two C's..one is terminal..
But, I don't Bow..!!
In April I was in the Best Shape of my Life..
I took everything I learned in the last decades and put it into a great Trest Cycle..
Concentrated on Nutrition, Great Recovery Protocols and Training...not so much on the Gear..
Best Cycle Ever...
Just to Prove to Myself I could still do It, with everything else going On..

I'm into week 3....
After being knocked to the Ground from C...
Lost almost all my Gains..
I don't care..I've already beaten the Odds..
No One gets 10 yrs out of MCL...No One..!!
Sorry about the Rant..lol
Z...

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That's my Wolf-Hybrid service dog as my avatar..He's probably saved my butt around 10 times in since he's been on the Job..lol
Z...

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Grenade bars are the shyt! 🤤 I've had quite varying relationship with protein bars over the years. Initially as a young buck I fell for the marketing and thought that those are good for you (for the gainz), before learning more about nutrition and stuff and realised, that most protein bars are basically just candy bars with a little added protein. And not as good tasting usually. So I didn't eat them at all for years and kind of thought, that only suckers eat them. Nowadays though, with the huge selection of different protein bars to choose from and the improved tastes I actually like some of them more, than the classic candy bars and so if I feel like having something sweet, I might grab a Grenade bar for example and treat it like candy and the extra protein is just a little something nice to have.

Snickers still great though. And the Snickers ice cream bar is the way to really be happy/ok with getting diabetes, lol.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I remember decades ago when the protein powder wouldn't dissolve and tasted like A**....LOL

antony.white

Awards
I was in the same situation as you, I was advised to take growth hormone, I got in great shape in half a year.