TRT and depression/anxiety

vkg1

Awards
Did anyone here go on TRT largely for reasons of the effects of low T on mood and anxiety levels? These days I care much less about my physique than I do about my psychological well being and job performance (which has been down lately due to depression and anxiety), so it's really that area that I am very focused on.

The reason I ask is that I would be interested in hearing some peoples' experiences with TRT addressing depression and anxiety, and also what people thought about how to come off of TRT in order to have children without suffering big setbacks in these areas.

A doctor has suggested I consider TRT for mood symptoms and particularly sexual issues I am having (quite severe). However, I am having a tough time deciding whether or not to go with it because my T really isn't that terribly low (415) and my Free T, though significantly worse -- exactly the bottom number of the range for "normal"), isn't completely disastrous either. I would hate to need to come off of it later (for children) only to discover vastly greater depression, anxiety, and sexual performance problems than I already have due to suppression. I'm basically worried that during the period of being off to have children, my T would be so suppressed that I would become ineffectual at great cost to my career.

Anyone been through these kinds of issues?

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
Did anyone here go on TRT largely for reasons of the effects of low T on mood and anxiety levels? These days I care much less about my physique than I do about my psychological well being and job performance (which has been down lately due to depression and anxiety), so it's really that area that I am very focused on. The reason I ask is that I would be interested in hearing some peoples' experiences with TRT addressing depression and anxiety, and also what people thought about how to come off of TRT in order to have children without suffering big setbacks in these areas. A doctor has suggested I consider TRT for mood symptoms and particularly sexual issues I am having (quite severe). However, I am having a tough time deciding whether or not to go with it because my T really isn't that terribly low (415) and my Free T, though significantly worse -- exactly the bottom number of the range for "normal"), isn't completely disastrous either. I would hate to need to come off of it later (for children) only to discover vastly greater depression, anxiety, and sexual performance problems than I already have due to suppression. I'm basically worried that during the period of being off to have children, my T would be so suppressed that I would become ineffectual at great cost to my career. Anyone been through these kinds of issues?
Subbed for feedback.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are many things that can affect anxiety and mood, testosterone being one of them, but to have this be the direction with levels of 400s seems irresponsible on the doctor's side. Good that you are leery about this and questioning it.

vkg1

Awards
I guess the argument for her point of view would be that Free T is what matters rather than Total T, and that I have all the symptoms of hypogonadism while Free T is at the very bottom of the range of what's acceptable for a man twice my age. Do you have any advice on how to make my decision? I wonder if it's ever sensible to "try" TRT to see if it's the solution you are looking for and, relatedly, how long it takes to recover from the suppression associated with such a trial.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I guess the argument for her point of view would be that Free T is what matters rather than Total T, and that I have all the symptoms of hypogonadism while Free T is at the very bottom of the range of what's acceptable for a man twice my age. Do you have any advice on how to make my decision? I wonder if it's ever sensible to "try" TRT to see if it's the solution you are looking for and, relatedly, how long it takes to recover from the suppression associated with such a trial.
"Trying" TRT is not something you want to consider. You want to do everything you can to treat your problems without TRT. If you end up needing it, then great! But exhaust all avenues first. If you aren't getting what you need from your Dr, then find another one. See 3 or 4 if you have to.

vkg1

Awards
Well, I guess I am starting to lean toward taking Nebido. Much as I dislike the negatives of TRT, I am starting to come to the conclusion that there is no other real treatment for low Free T. If I go only by numbers, then I'm not motivated to treat it. But when I don't have sexual function and my work performance is impaired with other symptoms of hypogonadism, it is necessary to pursue treatment.

I think I'll go see one more doctor first, but can anyone suggest any other avenues that might exist toward increasing Free T enough to overcome significant symptoms of hypogonadism? I guess my issue is that, much as I would prefer not to take it, the only avenue that I seem to find is TRT.

damage007

damage007

Banned
Awards
Well, I guess I am starting to lean toward taking Nebido. Much as I dislike the negatives of TRT, I am starting to come to the conclusion that there is no other real treatment for low Free T. If I go only by numbers, then I'm not motivated to treat it. But when I don't have sexual function and my work performance is impaired with other symptoms of hypogonadism, it is necessary to pursue treatment.

I think I'll go see one more doctor first, but can anyone suggest any other avenues that might exist toward increasing Free T enough to overcome significant symptoms of hypogonadism? I guess my issue is that, much as I would prefer not to take it, the only avenue that I seem to find is TRT.
Does your insurance cover TRT ?
Me and my partner are developing a neuro-endocrine breakthrough that should be a good adjunct to hCG; focusing on libido and natural hormone production on a much stronger scale. If you're interested, I'll let you know when the development process is finished....

vkg1

Awards
I live in a country with a different kind of healthcare system. Fortunately, Nebido will be covered for me and cost is not going to be an issue. Yes I would like to know about what you have described when it is the right time. Sounds very interesting.

damage007

damage007

Banned
Awards
I live in a country with a different kind of healthcare system. Fortunately, Nebido will be covered for me and cost is not going to be an issue. Yes I would like to know about what you have described when it is the right time. Sounds very interesting.
It's always a gamechanger to have good health care/Insurance, definitely fortunate...
I'll keep you posted brother!

damage007

damage007

Banned
Awards
It's interesting how the U.K and USA differ in terms of not just insurance but also the types of treatments and protocols offered.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I felt much better on TRT mentally but it's effects weren't immediate. I had to balance everything properly for my physiology first. Having my DHT values near the top of range really smoothed everything out for me, once E2 was balanced. These were the most important factors I found, personally speaking.

damage007

damage007

Banned
Awards
I felt much better on TRT mentally but it's effects weren't immediate. I had to balance everything properly for my physiology first. Having my DHT values near the top of range really smoothed everything out for me, once E2 was balanced. These were the most important factors I found, personally speaking.
E2 balance, and ratio of test;E2 is incredibly important...and also can mean the difference between high free T and low Free T; depression or no depression.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Becoming fairly lean has helped me balance out my E2 incredibly. Such a HUGE difference. I hardly have need for an AI now, and I feel better than ever and sexual performance is great. Something everyone should keep in mind when trying to find hormonal balance! I no longer follow a 'bulk' and 'cut' routine, and no longer allow myself to gain much fat. Forever recomping :)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Becoming fairly lean has helped me balance out my E2 incredibly. Such a HUGE difference. I hardly have need for an AI now, and I feel better than ever and sexual performance is great. Something everyone should keep in mind when trying to find hormonal balance! I no longer follow a 'bulk' and 'cut' routine, and no longer allow myself to gain much fat. Forever recomping :)
Quoted for total agreement. Once I stopped bulking and cutting, it helped me nail down my protocol and I haven't needed an AI for the last couple years.

I do love me some form for ultimate shredding in the summer though.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
THIS 1000%. I love staying lean year round, I hate being "bulked up" and bloated out.

damage007

damage007

Banned
Awards
Same here brother, lean bulk or no bulk.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
THIS 1000%. I love staying lean year round, I hate being "bulked up" and bloated out.
The only problem I have now is a bit of puffiness in my face/cheeks. I think it's just due to my carb intake atm though? This always disappears during ketosis. I thought this would completely disappear after leaning out...

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The only problem I have now is a bit of puffiness in my face/cheeks. I think it's just due to my carb intake atm though? This always disappears during ketosis. I thought this would completely disappear after leaning out...
I had this problem when I was in a bulk mode, I was eating a huge amount of carbs, about 400+g. Once I dropped my carbs and moved them peri-workout my jaw line came out and became way more defined. My buddy even commented on it. Also it could be an issue of body fat, if you aren't lean already.

I carbed up last night and I had a bit of puffiness in the cheeks, it is gone this morning though.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had this problem when I was in a bulk mode, I was eating a huge amount of carbs, about 400+g. Once I dropped my carbs and moved them peri-workout my jaw line came out and became way more defined. My buddy even commented on it. Also it could be an issue of body fat, if you aren't lean already.

I carbed up last night and I had a bit of puffiness in the cheeks, it is gone this morning though.
Yeah I figured it's my carb intake. Getting about ~ 400g a day atm. I'm pretty lean currently, not super super dry but at least 14%. I've been sick so my fruit intake has been really high (and my double breakfast bagels :D ). Time to up the fats again and lower the carbs. Those carbs and protein helped me maintain during the worst flu of my life though. I even became leaner during it, that's how much I was sweating. Was a pretty potent natural thermogenic.

damage007

damage007

Banned
Awards
Yeah I figured it's my carb intake. Getting about ~ 400g a day atm. I'm pretty lean currently, not super super dry but at least 14%. I've been sick so my fruit intake has been really high (and my double breakfast bagels :D ). Time to up the fats again and lower the carbs. Those carbs and protein helped me maintain during the worst flu of my life though. I even became leaner during it, that's how much I was sweating. Was a pretty potent natural thermogenic.
Seafood drenched in habanero sauce/cayenne should be a "potent thermogenic". ;)
Salmon burgers for life.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Seafood drenched in habanero sauce/cayenne should be a "potent thermogenic". ;)
Salmon burgers for life.
Hahaha very true. I would never suggest someone to get a fever LOL... to be honest though, I eat spice everyday. Cajun & curry.....awwww yeah