Trouble sleeping on trt

3djedi

Awards
Since starting TRT cyp injections I've been having a difficult time falling asleep and the quality of sleep is not that great either. I looked up the side effects of cypionate and noticed insomnia as one of the reactions. Do any of you guys on trt have this problem? Any ideas on what might help with this? I've been taking a little benadryl…

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Since starting TRT cyp injections I've been having a difficult time falling asleep and the quality of sleep is not that great either. I looked up the side effects of cypionate and noticed insomnia as one of the reactions. Do any of you guys on trt have this problem? Any ideas on what might help with this? I've been taking a little benadryl…[/QUOTId get your t levels checked to see what they come out to. Also, if your haveing negative side effects, you should get other things checked to make sure this medicine is actually helping your health, and not hurting it. We assume that low test is the devil, but maby there is nothing wrong with natural ageing to begin with.

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Get E2 and DHT tested. Also, try to get someone to watch you while you sleep to see if you snore. You may have sleep apnea.

Shoot, the sleep apnea by itself will lower your testosterone. That may have been a problem all along.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Since starting TRT cyp injections I've been having a difficult time falling asleep and the quality of sleep is not that great either. I looked up the side effects of cypionate and noticed insomnia as one of the reactions. Do any of you guys on trt have this problem? Any ideas on what might help with this? I've been taking a little benadryl…
Most likely can be due to your body adjusting to new levels of testosterone at the receptor sites or the e2 is climbing. When I get an e2 spike then I can not sleep at night time. When my thyroid goes low this also happens. So again it could be multiply factors affecting it. How much are you on and did this occur after 48 hours of first injections. After 5 weeks get e2 sensitive tested with shbg, and total testosteone. Many dr's give adex as saftey measure for e2 which is idiotic because many people with high e2 level when given TRT actually normalize with out adex. I would also look into adrenal issues as well as too much T can strain adrenals if they are weak

3djedi

Awards
Yes. After doc upped the dosage from 200 to 300mg eow I have much more difficulty falling asleep. I plan having e2 tested next time. As well as total and free testosterone. What are the other things that are essential to test for? How do you test adrenals? I feel anxious a lot like I have excessive adrenolin. I was hoping the trt would help with the anxiety but so far not so much.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Yes. After doc upped the dosage from 200 to 300mg eow I have much more difficulty falling asleep. I plan having e2 tested next time. As well as total and free testosterone. What are the other things that are essential to test for? How do you test adrenals? I feel anxious a lot like I have excessive adrenolin. I was hoping the trt would help with the anxiety but so far not so much.
Well you should be doing 100 mgs every week because your levels now are going from 2200 ng/dl 48 hours after your shot then going down to 600 in the trough that is a huge swing. Your also going on an estrogen rollercoaster. Sounds like you need a new dr because this one is a complete idiot and doe not know how to properly adminster TRT. This practice will stress the adrenal thyroid which can result in imbalances that could be avoided in the first place.

3djedi

Awards
Yeah, he doesn't know anything about trt. But he was willing to prescribe it! He was the third doc I went to. I think he is willing to listen and learn though. He's not even a doctor actually. He's a physicians assistant.

How do you figure out how the shot of 300mg converts to 2200 ng/dl? And to 600 after 2 weeks? Thanks!

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I had some insomnia the 1st week on starting injections from being on gel for a while, but my body quickly adjusted.
Sleep quality has improved dramatically since starting shots.

do 100mg per week not 300mg eow, I dont know if I could handle 300mg eow, sounds rough, Im currently doing 75mg e4ds.

The half life of cyp is only 5 days, your getting a massive peak for 5 days followed by very low levels, your body is constantly adjusting back and forth.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I had some insomnia the 1st week on starting injections from being on gel for a while, but my body quickly adjusted.
Sleep quality has improved dramatically since starting shots.

do 100mg per week not 300mg eow, I dont know if I could handle 300mg eow, sounds rough, Im currently doing 75mg e4ds.

The half life of cyp is only 5 days, your getting a massive peak for 5 days followed by very low levels, your body is constantly adjusting back and forth.
After being on TRT for many years and monitoring people I know after 200 mgs average peak hits about 1400-1600 so 300 would hit alot higher and this would put you at increased risk with dht and estrogen issues as well. If he is openminded dr great and he should allow you to do your own shots !!

3djedi

Awards
Ok. I made an appt for Monday to talk to him about letting me do my own shots. Should I try 100mg/wk?when I was doing 200mg every 2 weeks levels were 375ng/dl after 7 days. That's why he agreed to up it to 300mg every 2 weeks. Or should I just start with 150mg/wk?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Ok. I made an appt for Monday to talk to him about letting me do my own shots. Should I try 100mg/wk?when I was doing 200mg every 2 weeks levels were 375ng/dl after 7 days. That's why he agreed to up it to 300mg every 2 weeks. Or should I just start with 150mg/wk?
Blood should be taken at day 4-5 to see where mid line is
That is why you kick in HCG to give you that boost to put you back to 600-700 level . Where is your SHBG? you may burn through it fast.
This is why maybe 60 mgs Bi weekly with hcg day before because it gives a nice 600-700 at trough. I look to see 450-700 at trough

Andalucia

Awards
I know this is an old post, but something worth mentioning. If you have low thyroid then you can have low T. If your metabolic rate is slower, then hormone production is slower. Even when labs show you are in range for TSH, T4 and T3 that doesn't mean there is not a thyroid problem. Just like T, if you fall from levels that were once perfect for you - you will suffer, even though you are in range. I was getting low normal range T results and questionable within range thyroid results. I wasn't sleeping. I was a bit depressed, I was anxious. I had cold hands and feet. I lost fat weight. I looked cut to the bone. I could lift and I wanted to, but I lacked drive and gains. It was all pointing to T. It didn't look like a normal thyroid issue. But especially for the more athletic individual, hypo can also make you lose weight - an efficient mechanism of adrenalin and cortisol jump in to sustain metabolic rate and blood sugar respectively. That adrenalin kept me awake and I had so much cortisol I could not feel the pain of old injuries and knocks.
I experimented with TRT and HCG. Both sent my heart pounding and increased insomnia and weight loss issues in short time. My gut instinct, and previous cycles told me I was lacking something else more immediately important than T - thyroid. I began taking iodine in the form of Lugols solution 12%. After an initial detox few days I began to feel changes. My hands and feet felt warm for the first time in a year. I slept longer and deeper. I had a boner that lasted through the last three hours of my sleep every night! My research was thorough and anyone who thinks iodine is a dangerous, toxic substance needs to see the work of US doctors Abrahams and Bernstein. At my peak I hit 200mg a day then pulledback to 80 - my current dose after 2 months. The feeling of confidence and elation was superb on occasion (like being in my 20's again), though there were hurdles of rebalancing hormones to get through over the weeks. My T levels are up, my sex drive is up and I am putting weight on. My blood sugar issues are resolving. In an iodine deficiency the thyroid can go both hyper and hypo according to the individual. But be sure that many , many people are deficient, especially athletes. I just feel better and will continue with the iodine. 15mg in a large glass of water with every meal and before bed works for me. I take magnesium glycinate all day, selenium and c in the morning - all important thyroid co factors, and plenty of good quality rock salt balanced by potassium in bananas.
This might not be the answer to everyone's TRT insomnia but thyroid issues sneak up slowly and can lower your T. I've done cycles of 750 Sus a week and slept like a baby for nine hours - this is how I knew another hormonal culprit was at large for my 'natural' insomnia. Total repletion could take 6 months to a year, but it probably took over ten years to lose my iodine, so I'm happy to be patient for a few months. Best of all, I can handle all kinds of stress again. I hope this experience is useful to some - not every 'apparent' TRT scenario is that simple.

crankin

Awards
I am experiencing very similar things about the sleep and would love some feedback. On 200mg cypionate every 7 days.

...cold hands
...poor sleep
...snoring
...desire to work out
...muscle building/shaping well
...increased libido
...boners through the night
...weight loss, in a good way
...well balanced mind, happier, peaceable
...much more energy
...confidence is strong
...increased drive/initiative

One experience that has frustrated me; first week on 200mg cypionate, day 6, best hard-on in 15 years. Then, a couple weeks later, day 3 after 200 mg cypionate, erection problem, no so strong. All these things combined, what is it pointing to? Any feedback would be great and thanks in advance.