Trick id like u to try if u haven't

Country

Awards
Say on bench at say 275lbs u cant get past 8 reps sounds crazy but try counting your reps backwards and ill bet ull get 2 to 3 more reps. What happens is we train our mind at rep 8 its over but count backwards and ull get those extra reps

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Say on bench at say 275lbs u cant get past 8 reps sounds crazy but try counting your reps backwards and ill bet ull get 2 to 3 more reps. What happens is we train our mind at rep 8 its over but count backwards and ull get those extra reps
I like that idea

Country

Awards
Bro a guy told me yrs ago i thought bs but damn if my reps and weight up try it i even split the count like 1-4 8-4 it works

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately doesn't work for me and I was positive going into this. Least I know it's not a psychological limit holding back my performance. That may be as I already use my imagination to put myself in the zone when lifting.
When counting up reps I like to see myself climbing a mountain. It becomes easier for me the closer I get to the top, looking back down at how far I've already come, it wills me on and that perspective makes the summit look far less imposing. The first few reps are usually the toughest while the last are easiest (psychologically)
I have a training partner who is quite inconsistent. Mood tends to dictate his performance in the gym so I'm willing to bet this may work for him.