Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have been training my Traps for 30+ years and they still are not where I would like them to be. What is your "Go Too" - favorite Trap movement. @Studhorse & @MrKleen73 have great traps !!

I would love to hear how everyone trains their's ???

Trap Bar Stand.jpg

I recently bought a Hex Bar to train traps and I really like it. I also welded up a pair of jack stand to keep the bar from rolling across the gym floor.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That hex bar should work well for deadlifts and farmers carry. Both should hit traps fairly well

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That hex bar should work well for deadlifts and farmers carry. Both should hit traps fairly well

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Check out Josh Bryant's "Tactical Shield Training." It's a book pretty much dedicated to the neck and traps.

John Meadows also has some good exercises you can find on his YouTube.

Hit the area in different angles other than your typical vertical shrugs. Try holding the contraction for a second or two as well. Also, exercises like Facepull variations and T3 raises also work the traps.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
At the end of my shoulder workout I always do behind the neck press with lower weight. I definitely feel the burn in my traps

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have recently started trying to hold my shrugs for a count between reps and I have like it so far.

Rear Presses are out I screwed up my shoulder years ago trying to do Rear Presses with 225lbs. (Young and Dumb) now I am older and still dumb!!

Funny you should say about Traps and Neck, I'm like the only person I know that has a Trap & Neck day !!

My Neck Machine

Neck 2.JPG

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Check out Josh Bryant's "Tactical Shield Training." It's a book pretty much dedicated to the neck and traps.

John Meadows also has some good exercises you can find on his YouTube.

Hit the area in different angles other than your typical vertical shrugs. Try holding the contraction for a second or two as well. Also, exercises like Facepull variations and T3 raises also work the traps.

I may have to buy this book, I just did a little research and it sounds interesting...

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I may have to buy this book, I just did a little research and it sounds interesting...
I got it for under 5 bucks. I'm not sure if it's still that cheap but Josh Bryant typically has some good reads. It will have a lot more example exercises. Everyone wants tall upper traps but don't neglect the lower traps either. That could benefit your shoulders some. Eric Cressey and Tony Gentilcore have some great articles as well on shoulder health.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do a youtube search for John Meadows + traps or mountaindog + traps and you'll find some great videos. I personally love these that he does with bands
You can't argue, John Meadows has great traps !!

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t do any additional trap training since my traps is connecting in everything I do, I have hard time to disconnect my traps, but nothing gets my traps as sore as 1 arm barbell carries. I feel the bar is a lot different than a dumbbell or the trap bar. I also seen ppl do 1 arm shrugs with the bar or in the smith machine.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don’t do any additional trap training since my traps is connecting in everything I do, I have hard time to disconnect my traps, but nothing gets my traps as sore as 1 arm barbell carries. I feel the bar is a lot different than a dumbbell or the trap bar. I also seen ppl do 1 arm shrugs with the bar or in the smith machine.

I have seen these but have never tried them, may give them a go next trap day !!

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think it’s certainly genetic...Look at how quick Tom Hardy blew his up for Bane etc.
(On cycle of course)

-

Behind the back barbell shrugs with #185 for sets of 8-10 are my secret, set up in a rack. (in addition to plenty of rows, hex bar dl’s and shrugs, regular deadlifts etc)

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Josh Bryant's "Tactical Shield Training

Traps.png

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My Traps grow pretty easy. from years of powerlifting.
I hit my trapz once a week. 4 sets of D-bell shrugs (ea. Rep. Hold at the tap for 3 sec. lower somewhat slow and get a good stretch.
The other exercise is on a hammer strength Shrug machine. Only way to have your hands in close and do a shrug with heavy weight and not jack up your package. I place my hands on the very end.

I also get a pump in my trapz when I do my 3 way Delt raises.
I do them leaning my chest into a high incline bench. otherwise I get lower back cramps. You would understand. Its an old man thing.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Unfortunately I think traps are a fairly genetic thing (like calves)... I personally avoid all direct trap work but still have rather large traps myself just due to structure (I have narrower shoulders too).

I actually have more trouble NOT using them, especially when doing shoulder raises and upper back work.

The thing I feel the most though are DB shrugs with a hold... burns like a mofo ha

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Loving all these tip. I just hope I don't have to buy a hammer strength trap machine !

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Loving all these tip. I just hope I don't have to buy a hammer strength trap machine !
I actually feel that one of the least because the distance between the handles may not be perfect for your body width (it def isn’t for me). If it’s not just right you’re working in a forced, suboptimal plane of motion

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have new used any Hammer Strength Equipment, but I hear mostly good things about it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@kisaj Now we need a picture !

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I feel like my traps really grew when I started to take deadlifting seriously.

Another movement that I get a really good squeeze in my upper back is behind the back upright rows. I was introduced to it in one of Jim Stoppani’s workouts.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I feel like my traps really grew when I started to take deadlifting seriously.

Another movement that I get a really good squeeze in my upper back is behind the back upright rows. I was introduced to it in one of Jim Stoppani’s workouts.
I just googled that lift and it seems interesting. Most of what I saw was done on the smith machine. Looks a little awkward, but I might try it out

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The biggest my traps have been were when I trained them following deadlifts. Once a week I did deadlifts, paused deadlifts, barbell shrugs with a lighter weight and 3 second pause at top 12-15 reps, and finished with heavy shrugs no pause 10-12 reps. My traps were huge.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just googled that lift and it seems interesting. Most of what I saw was done on the smith machine. Looks a little awkward, but I might try it out
I just use a barbell since I workout at home. I think you'll like the movement, it's not awkward like you might think nor does it hurt the shoulders like a standard upright row might. The squeeze is pretty sweet - TRY IT!

Another unique exercise I got from Stoppani for the LOWER traps is the Y raise. He's got a video of it on youtube. I like the standing banded version.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@f4iguy That is a very nice back !!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I just use a barbell since I workout at home. I think you'll like the movement, it's not awkward like you might think nor does it hurt the shoulders like a standard upright row might. The squeeze is pretty sweet - TRY IT!

Another unique exercise I got from Stoppani for the LOWER traps is the Y raise. He's got a video of it on youtube. I like the standing banded version.
I tried these today in my home gym with a barbell. It took me a few reps to get the mind muscle connection right. Once I really focused in on my traps, it was a great lift. I could see this being better on a smith machine simply because it takes some of the stabilizing muscles out of the equation. Definitely works with just a barbell as well

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I feel like any slow controlled movement does not work for traps. Heavy power exercises I think work best. Stuff that gives a stretch overload. Deadlifts, powercleans, farmers walks, rack pulls, power shrugs.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My traps are huge after 25 yrs of marriage.
i train them several times a day.
everytime my wife asks me something...i shrug...i dunno
Funny, because its true !!

Dagron

Dagron

Awards
Funny, I just posted on this in a FB group yesterday. Forget the rack pulls, barbell shrugs and other ego lifts. These are all you need to grow massive traps:

shrugs.PNG

Upright Rows (w/ ez-curl bar)
Cleans
DB Shrugs Yates style

Yates on how to properly perform DB shrugs:

For this routine, start with a relatively lightweight warm-up set of 12 repetitions. Begin by standing upright with the dumbbells hanging at your sides and your shoulders straight — not hunched forward or pulled back. Pull your shoulders up as high as possible, as if you were trying to pin them against your ears. Rotate your shoulders back, squeezing the traps in the process, and then lower the shoulders back to the starting position. I find that keeping my chin tucked into my chest helps to achieve maximum contraction of the trapezius muscles. After the warm-up set, I usually launch into a single working set of 10-12 reps with a heavier weight. Then, when I don’t have the strength to perform another full rep, I start knocking out half — and even quarter — reps, until I can’t possibly move the weight another inch.

A note of caution: do not attempt to keep your arms perfectly straight. Locking your elbows can put severe stress on your joints and lead to injury. If your elbows bend a little as you raise the dumbbells, so be it. If you can bend them enough to turn the movement into a dumbbell raise, it’s an indication that you need heavier weights.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That dude does have some traps !!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Shrugs.jpg

I have read so many ideas of "The Best Way" to Shrug so this morning I did them all 6 sets of 30, Regular Shrug 10 - Shrug and Roll Shoulders 10 - Shrug and Hold 10 = I got it covered ??

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
View attachment 195326

I have read so many ideas of "The Best Way" to Shrug so this morning I did them all 6 sets of 30, Regular Shrug 10 - Shrug and Roll Shoulders 10 - Shrug and Hold 10 = I got it covered ??
That hex bar your holding?

If so take it for a walk with as much weight as you can handle without risking injury.

A exercise I really like that no1 mentioned, or idk if anyone does it but it hits the traps and rear delts. Get the Smith machine, with your back to the bar, palms facing the bar and grab it, do a upright row behind your back

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My Knee does not want to take it for a walk..

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How old are you rocket? Also its creepy how much you look like my dad, you could be his brother
62 years young, your father must be a very handsome man !!!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
62 years young, your father must be a very handsome man !!!
O my God lol. If I told him there's a guy on the workout forum that I use, and he looks like you. My dad would say he must be a good looking guy. That's hilarious. Hes a little older then you and not in quite as good of shape but the resemblance is very close. Il have to snap a picture of him next time i see him

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
O my God lol. If I told him there's a guy on the workout forum that I use, and he looks like you. My dad would say he must be a good looking guy. That's hilarious. Hes a little older then you and not in quite as good of shape but the resemblance is very close. Il have to snap a picture of him next time i see him
I would like to see it.