trans-Resveratrol mega dose in OL Sup3r PCT?

jp_x_type

jp_x_type

Awards
  • Established
ok so i have experience with resveratrol so I know what it does to me, but i never went above 500 mg of trans-res. i found my optimal dose to be in the 300-400mg range, but i do take it with other polyphenols, like grape seed etc etc. so i dont take it alone.

i realize resveratrol has poor bioavailability, and that pure trans-res extracts taken alone might have different effects in the body than partial extracts (20-30% whole plant extracts) or those coupled with other polyphenols (see info attached below)

Now i see OL's Sup3r PCT supplies a whopping 1000mg of trans-res per recomended serving size. Isn't this overkill?
What's the reasoning behind this mega dose? Benefits? Or was this dosed so high due to its poor bioavailabilty?

Please chime in!

id like to know peoples experiences with high doses of trans-res and/or with sup3r pct by ol at the recommended 10 cap serving. results? side effects?

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(11)00386-X

Highlights
Resveratrol reduced sleeping metabolic rate in human, mimicking calorie restriction
Resveratrol improved mitochondrial metabolism through the AMPK-SIRT1-PGC-1α axis
Resveratrol decreased hepatic and increased muscle lipid content
Resveratrol reduced inflammation markers in plasma and muscle

Summary

Resveratrol is a natural compound that affects energy metabolism and mitochondrial function and serves as a calorie restriction mimetic, at least in animal models of obesity. Here, we treated 11 healthy, obese men with placebo and 150 mg/day resveratrol (resVida) in a randomized double-blind crossover study for 30 days. Resveratrol significantly reduced sleeping and resting metabolic rate. In muscle, resveratrol activated AMPK, increased SIRT1 and PGC-1α protein levels, increased citrate synthase activity without change in mitochondrial content, and improved muscle mitochondrial respiration on a fatty acid-derived substrate. Furthermore, resveratrol elevated intramyocellular lipid levels and decreased intrahepatic lipid content, circulating glucose, triglycerides, alanine-aminotransferase, and inflammation markers. Systolic blood pressure dropped and HOMA index improved after resveratrol. In the postprandial state, adipose tissue lipolysis and plasma fatty acid and glycerol decreased. In conclusion, we demonstrate that 30 days of resveratrol supplementation induces metabolic changes in obese humans, mimicking the effects of calorie restriction.

The best comment is given by Husam Ghanim in the comments. He says:

Our most current preliminary data (unpublished data), show that the intake of PC extract (600mg/ day) containing 20% RSV (120mg/day) but not pure resveratrol alone (500mg/day) for 12 weeks suppresses mediators of inflammation and improves HOMA-IR in insulin resistant obese subjects. Most of these reductions range between 20-30%. This is of interest since it demonstrates that resveratrol alone is not sufficient to induce metabolic changes even at a dose higher than when compared to that taken as part of the extract or with other polyphenols. It is possible that other components of the PC extract are necessary to either directly induce or mediate the changes observed. This might explain the lack of effect of many pure RSV supplements when used at low doses (1-10mg/kg/day) in animals and the need to use extremely high doses (200-500mg/kg/day) in order to achieve measurable metabolic changes.

While resveratrol investigation in the human is still at an early stage, we need to be cautious in our enthusiasm since most studies, including our own, have not yielded clear cut results with pure preparations even when higher doses (2000mg/day) were used (4). On the other hand, changes observed with plant extracts containing resveratrol are impressive. However, more work is required to confirm these effects in larger studies and to identify the other active compounds in plant extracts.

---------------

From the LEF website

This study found that a low dose of resveratrol combined with grape seed extract was just as effective as a high dose of resveratrol alone, specifically with regards to mimicing calorie restriction

What Dose of Resveratrol Should Humans Take? - Life Extension