Training leading into wedding

Tim2018

Awards
Getting married in early June and starting a 4 month cut next week. I normally train 5/3/1 and have been working in low intensity conditioning, often with a weighted vest, 3-4x weekly. I eat approximately maintenance cals with protein at 1g/lb BW and carbs <30g/day. Supplements include whey/casein, creatine (5g daily), fish oil (5-6g omega3 daily), and a multi.

I’m planning on running either 30 Days Out or the Velocity Diet directly leading into the wedding but I’m looking for suggestions on training/diet/supplementation for the ~3 mo between that time and next week. Right now, my comfort zone would be to stick with 5/3/1 while slowly increasing conditioning and decreasing cals.

Does anyone have any other ideas that would help me be more productive during this time period?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
30 grams of carbs a day? are you doing very very low carb on purpose?

whats your fat like?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
For me (and I’m in a similar boat - wedding 1st wk in September) I would spend the first month or so in a recomp mode. Unless you’re over 20% bf there’s no reason you need 4 full months of hard cutting.

Spend the first month with a slightly reduced cal level (like 200 less max) and add in something like Sns x gels and maybe a gda like glycophase or similar. Those two paired with a diet and training you know works should help a nice slow recomp for a few weeks.

rrivers

Awards
I second the X-Gels and GDA comment for recomp. In two months using X-Gels and Slinmax I was able to go from 10.4% bf to 6.6% and gain 3lbs of muscle. I attribute this to my diet as well, cyclic dextrin in my pre/intra/post shakes with very minimal carbs at any other time during the day. However, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years fell into this two month period so Slinmax came in very handy. As far as lifting program, did full body 3x week and ran sprints 2x week. The last week of this cycle I ramped up intensity by doing intraset cardio. Felt kind of beat up towards the end but was well worth it as i was preparing for a Miami bachelor party.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My wedding is this Friday. I’ve been on SlinMax + F95 the past 4 weeks. A few months ago I was taking ArA with MassMax to gain a little size before I went on a “cuttish” recomp.

Tim2018

Awards
Thanks for all of the input. I should have been more clear at the outset. I plan on eating around maintenance for a bit prior to actually "cutting". So I agree with the idea of a "recomp". I'm ~15% BF (guessing, getting checked next week along with RMR measurement).

I hadn't considered adding an ArA supp - I have very little familiarity with them. How did you dose it and what are the best value ArA supps?

Was considering using some Lean Xtreme I have had around for a few years. Also considering using EC stack vs. solo yohimbine. I am really stim sensitive and have never used stim fat burners before. Would F-95 fit into the "cut" portion in order to help hold onto more muscle?

rrivers

Awards
SNS X-Gels is definitely a favorite on the forum for ArA supplementation. Dose 4-5 gels 45 mins preworkout on an empty stomach with 4grams ALCAR and 6grams glycerol mono. There are other protocols too and an extensive thread dedicated to ArA on AM. I also used Lean Xtreme for my recomp. I am sure it aided in my amazing results. Good luck!

Tim2018

Awards
I second the X-Gels and GDA comment for recomp. In two months using X-Gels and Slinmax I was able to go from 10.4% bf to 6.6% and gain 3lbs of muscle. I attribute this to my diet as well, cyclic dextrin in my pre/intra/post shakes with very minimal carbs at any other time during the day. However, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years fell into this two month period so Slinmax came in very handy. As far as lifting program, did full body 3x week and ran sprints 2x week. The last week of this cycle I ramped up intensity by doing intraset cardio. Felt kind of beat up towards the end but was well worth it as i was preparing for a Miami bachelor party.
Did you dose the GDA in the periworkout window with your cyclic dextrin?

rrivers

Awards
Yeah, since I had a shake 15 mins before workout with carbs and protein I dosed X-Gels and ALCAR/GMS after my first or second working set. Then after a few more sets I would start sipping on my intra-shake. Still got a good pump and felt some DOMS initially, but nothing debilitating.

Tim2018

Awards
SNS X-Gels is definitely a favorite on the forum for ArA supplementation. Dose 4-5 gels 45 mins preworkout on an empty stomach with 4grams ALCAR and 6grams glycerol mono. There are other protocols too and an extensive thread dedicated to ArA on AM. I also used Lean Xtreme for my recomp. I am sure it aided in my amazing results. Good luck!
Thank you!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks for all of the input. I should have been more clear at the outset. I plan on eating around maintenance for a bit prior to actually "cutting". So I agree with the idea of a "recomp". I'm ~15% BF (guessing, getting checked next week along with RMR measurement).

I hadn't considered adding an ArA supp - I have very little familiarity with them. How did you dose it and what are the best value ArA supps?

Was considering using some Lean Xtreme I have had around for a few years. Also considering using EC stack vs. solo yohimbine. I am really stim sensitive and have never used stim fat burners before. Would F-95 fit into the "cut" portion in order to help hold onto more muscle?
Check out the "guide" thread: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/246394-arachidonic-acid-help.html

it can answer any and every question you have! SNS Xgels is the go-to brand for sure (there's really only 2 brands that make it as a solo and are deemed "quality"). F-95 is actually a perfect stacker with it too as there is synergy and you can keep it in there past the recomp portion as well. it's a great all-around ingredient.

I would hold off on LX until late in the cut as if it is the OG version, its great for its cortisol effects which don't occur until late in a cut.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Getting married in early June and starting a 4 month cut next week. I normally train 5/3/1 and have been working in low intensity conditioning, often with a weighted vest, 3-4x weekly. I eat approximately maintenance cals with protein at 1g/lb BW and carbs <30g/day. Supplements include whey/casein, creatine (5g daily), fish oil (5-6g omega3 daily), and a multi.

I’m planning on running either 30 Days Out or the Velocity Diet directly leading into the wedding but I’m looking for suggestions on training/diet/supplementation for the ~3 mo between that time and next week. Right now, my comfort zone would be to stick with 5/3/1 while slowly increasing conditioning and decreasing cals.

Does anyone have any other ideas that would help me be more productive during this time period?
Don't be one of the many who quits working out after you get married. Just an FYI thats for losers. Congrats on your wedding and stick to half a gram of carbs per pound of bodyweight to start. 30 is way too low.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
stick to half a gram of carbs per pound of bodyweight to start. 30 is way too low.
not if he's doing a keto plan (which is what he laid out).... derppppp

Tim2018

Awards
Don't be one of the many who quits working out after you get married. Just an FYI thats for losers. Congrats on your wedding and stick to half a gram of carbs per pound of bodyweight to start. 30 is way too low.
I understand that because I am new to AM forum that you may think I'm relatively new to training but that is far from the truth. I have trained for athletic purposes consistently since 2005 and this is the first time I am really focusing on a cosmetic goal. Thank you for the well wishes.

Tim2018

Awards
I plan to keep my carbs where they are - but I am considering adding in some intra- and post-workout cyclic dextrin, esp early on in the recomp.

Tim2018

Awards
Check out the "guide" thread: ]

it can answer any and every question you have! SNS Xgels is the go-to brand for sure (there's really only 2 brands that make it as a solo and are deemed "quality"). F-95 is actually a perfect stacker with it too as there is synergy and you can keep it in there past the recomp portion as well. it's a great all-around ingredient.

I would hold off on LX until late in the cut as if it is the OG version, its great for its cortisol effects which don't occur until late in a cut.
Thanks - I was reading this thread when I saw your post!

Unfortunately the LX is not the OG version but rather the newer with 5-AT. Will still likely use at the end of the recomp.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
What would you recommend then? 0.75?
what? you're going the wrong way there...whatever he needs to stay keto... For me, <50g which is common for keto so I would not start him above 50g for sure and it seems like he already knows what he needs/likes.

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
what? you're going the wrong way there...whatever he needs to stay keto... For me, <50g which is common for keto so I would not start him above 50g for sure and it seems like he already knows what he needs/likes.
Oh I thought you were talking about how much fat per day.

Tim2018

Awards
If adding in carbs to intra-/post-workout only, when would you dose Glycophase? Pre-workout before carb intake?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If adding in carbs to intra-/post-workout only, when would you dose Glycophase? Pre-workout before carb intake?
yes, pre. really not needed post as the workout will do most of the partitioning for you. I know theres a few people that do take it with post to help lower the time it takes to reach baseline blood glucose levels, but really its only necessary pre.