Training help with limited weights

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Can you guys help me out with some push/pull/leg routines or full body with this limited equipment. My boy got to borrow some stuff while his gym is closed.
2 barbells
Bumpers pair of 45 and 25...more on the way hopefully
50lb Dumbbell
50lb kettle
Plyo box
Jump rope

We’re just trying to come up with different workouts to train outside in the south Florida sun while our respective gyms are shutdown. Oh yea he does CrossFit and I’m more into strength/ powerlifting but we’re going to switch it up for the sake of gains

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is more of a google search than a thread topic. Essentially simple movement you can imagine, plus weight. With limited weights, consider german volume training. 10 sets of 12 will have in a nice agonizing pain with medium-low weight.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can always either do pullups on a tree branch or buy a doorway pull-up bar.

Also, TRX style bands are great for several exercises.

I love TRX rows, triceps extensions, curls, and rear delts.

TRX bands can be expensive, but I made one real cheap out of steel chains and quick links from Home Depot (with PVC pipes for handles).

Anyway, without the TRX bands:

Back you can do pull-ups (assuming a place to do them), chin ups, various barbell rows (overhand and/or underhand), and dumbbell pullovers on the box, assuming it’s a suitable height. Maybe one-arm dumbbell rows too, supporting on the box, if it’s a suitable height. Also maybe rows with plates on one end of the bar and the other propped in a corner if you have a corner you don’t mind potentially scuffing up a bit.

Biceps you always have barbell curls. No idea if the only plates you have are 25s and 45s. If so, then your only options for barbell curls are 45, 95, and 135. You can always also hold a 25 lb Plate in each hand and do curls with them, or hold 1 45lb Plate and do two-arm curls with them.

Same for triceps extensions; either bar with 45 or 95, or just holding the 25 or 45 Plate.

You may also be able to set up the plyo box to do skull crushers with, if you have your friend hand you the bar before and take it after the set. Same with light close-grip or reverse grip bench press if you trust him to spot you and set up and take it.

Shoulders you have shoulder press, push press, clean and jerks, shrugs, and front raises with a 25 or 45 lb Plate. Should be more than sufficient.

Chest you have all sorts of push-up variations. Normal, close grip, diamond, one-arm, feet up, clapping, one hand up on a medicine ball or dumbbell, etc.

Legs you can do front squats if you’re comfortable cleaning a weight up into position and squatting like that. Same with lunges, with a light weight. Or you can just hold plates and do squats or lunges. Depending on the height of your box, you can do split squats too. Then you have deadlifts and RDLs. And you can do those things where you get on your knees and your partner holds your feet down while you lower and raise your upper body up and down with your hamstrings. You can always do controlled negatives and push yourself back up if they’re too hard.

Then for forearms you can do barbell wrist and reverse wrist curls.

As for putting these exercises into a logical and coherent workout plan, that’s a little more work. Maybe see which ones work well and feel good/safe first for a workout or two before going all out and making an actual routine?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
F109CA5F-0C94-4A4C-BCF2-302D21F458E5.jpg

Here you can kind of see how it works.

One chain wraps around a horizontal overhead support and is held in place by a quick link. Then another quick link is placed at the bottom of that chain, from which two more chains are attached; one for each arm. A piece of PVC pipe is then used for a handle on each arm cable, and is held in place by using one more quick link for each arm cable to attach back into itself in such a way that it forms what looks like your normal triangle grips for cable exercises. You can adjust the length of the cables as needed by moving the center quick link (connecting to the two arm cables) up or down as needed. Make sure to count the number of links you move, and that each arm is the same length. Also be sure when you make the arm cables at first (get them cut at a store), be sure that they are the same length. Make sure to tell the store worker how long you want it, and to be sure they’re the same number or links. And check to make sure you’re getting heavy-duty cables and links, and thick enough PVC pipes, and that your overhead support is sturdy and sufficient.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is more of a google search than a thread topic. Essentially simple movement you can imagine, plus weight. With limited weights, consider german volume training. 10 sets of 12 will have in a nice agonizing pain with medium-low weight.
True I was just getting some ideas and figured most have nothing going on some maybe they’d be will to throw out some ideas

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You can always either do pullups on a tree branch or buy a doorway pull-up bar.

Also, TRX style bands are great for several exercises.

I love TRX rows, triceps extensions, curls, and rear delts.

TRX bands can be expensive, but I made one real cheap out of steel chains and quick links from Home Depot (with PVC pipes for handles).

Anyway, without the TRX bands:

Back you can do pull-ups (assuming a place to do them), chin ups, various barbell rows (overhand and/or underhand), and dumbbell pullovers on the box, assuming it’s a suitable height. Maybe one-arm dumbbell rows too, supporting on the box, if it’s a suitable height. Also maybe rows with plates on one end of the bar and the other propped in a corner if you have a corner you don’t mind potentially scuffing up a bit.

Biceps you always have barbell curls. No idea if the only plates you have are 25s and 45s. If so, then your only options for barbell curls are 45, 95, and 135. You can always also hold a 25 lb Plate in each hand and do curls with them, or hold 1 45lb Plate and do two-arm curls with them.

Same for triceps extensions; either bar with 45 or 95, or just holding the 25 or 45 Plate.

You may also be able to set up the plyo box to do skull crushers with, if you have your friend hand you the bar before and take it after the set. Same with light close-grip or reverse grip bench press if you trust him to spot you and set up and take it.

Shoulders you have shoulder press, push press, clean and jerks, shrugs, and front raises with a 25 or 45 lb Plate. Should be more than sufficient.

Chest you have all sorts of push-up variations. Normal, close grip, diamond, one-arm, feet up, clapping, one hand up on a medicine ball or dumbbell, etc.

Legs you can do front squats if you’re comfortable cleaning a weight up into position and squatting like that. Same with lunges, with a light weight. Or you can just hold plates and do squats or lunges. Depending on the height of your box, you can do split squats too. Then you have deadlifts and RDLs. And you can do those things where you get on your knees and your partner holds your feet down while you lower and raise your upper body up and down with your hamstrings. You can always do controlled negatives and push yourself back up if they’re too hard.

Then for forearms you can do barbell wrist and reverse wrist curls.

As for putting these exercises into a logical and coherent workout plan, that’s a little more work. Maybe see which ones work well and feel good/safe first for a workout or two before going all out and making an actual routine?
Thank you, this is what I needed to get me thinking more

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You can do a decent bit with that.

I’m having people do a lot of controlled tempo and pause work for now.

Going to be some high rep stuff for awhile tho, embrace the change for a bit!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
1. order bands
2. search for "mountaindog bands" on youtube