Training fasted help

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
So I have a problem with training fasted in the "morning". I work in the oil fields and on rotating shifts so whenever I do my 5pm-5am shift I workout at about 1am after waking up. Having limited food choices in the town I work in really hurts my options of what to eat during the night. My meals are very spread out I have a post workout meal at 330pm, my lunch at 8pm, and I try to eat something at around 2-3am that's still a big gap. There are times I don't eat anything after 8pm and when I workout in the morning I just don't have the power/energy as compared to when I work day shifts.

Right now I'm beginning a recomp so I am avoiding eating random stuff from the gas stations here I have no healthy choices. So what kind of convenient foods can I look into that wont hurt my goals and can help me train in the morning? I'm 6' about 265lbs and I'm decently strong so I know I need some good eating to keep my strength up and help build muscle as I try and burn fat.

One thing I have considered but don't feel like buying another supp to use in the morning since I'll be using a few others already is BCAAs. I've read that BCAAs are good for fasted training and good to fill in gaps where I won't be eating for extended periods of time. Saw on a video that they help promote muscle protein synthesis when used at times when protein is lacking between meals.

So it looks like a good BCAA product would be a good choice but any other thoughts on how I should I go about it? Thanks guys

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been getting up before work to train for about 3 years. I've tried granola, a drink of ground oats/protein, yogurts, Hershey kisses (wth), and all I can think of to get calories in before lifting. To be honest, I don't like the way i feel immediately after eating that early. I'm just not hungry first thing in the morning.

So, I have up on foods. I have a little almond milk or Fairlife milk with some coffee before going to the gym and while I'm at the gym I drink Gatorade powder mixed with my Active Amino BCAA's. A 7g scoop of Gatorade on hypertrophy and accessory only days, and whatever the large scoop is on days I squat or deadlift. Gatorade is loaded with carbs, so it helps with fuel but still doesn't make me feel like I'm forcing in another meal.

You could also keep Gatorade by the bed and drink some every time you wake up.

JG93

JG93

Awards
So I have a problem with training fasted in the "morning". I work in the oil fields and on rotating shifts so whenever I do my 5pm-5am shift I workout at about 1am after waking up. Having limited food choices in the town I work in really hurts my options of what to eat during the night. My meals are very spread out I have a post workout meal at 330pm, my lunch at 8pm, and I try to eat something at around 2-3am that's still a big gap. There are times I don't eat anything after 8pm and when I workout in the morning I just don't have the power/energy as compared to when I work day shifts.

Right now I'm beginning a recomp so I am avoiding eating random stuff from the gas stations here I have no healthy choices. So what kind of convenient foods can I look into that wont hurt my goals and can help me train in the morning? I'm 6' about 265lbs and I'm decently strong so I know I need some good eating to keep my strength up and help build muscle as I try and burn fat.

One thing I have considered but don't feel like buying another supp to use in the morning since I'll be using a few others already is BCAAs. I've read that BCAAs are good for fasted training and good to fill in gaps where I won't be eating for extended periods of time. Saw on a video that they help promote muscle protein synthesis when used at times when protein is lacking between meals.

So it looks like a good BCAA product would be a good choice but any other thoughts on how I should I go about it? Thanks guys
Or after your safety meeting run down to the derrickhands MudPits and walk from the pill tank to the sand trap and back for an hour!

I'm in the patch too, makes it real hard sometimes.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
dont stress it big guy, do what you can with the resources you have... dont worry about meal timing right now, just try your best to get enough calories in when you can... fasted training is always my weakest part of the day too

Warthog13

Awards
Have you given thought to something like Carb Boom! or Clif Shots? They're around 100 calories, easily digestible, and designed to provide workout energy.

I use them pre-cardio. I never thought about (until now) pre-strength training since I always do that later in the day (after work).

Just a thought.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
My go-to easy digesting carb source is rice cakes. I usually keep 2-3 next to my bed and eat them upon waking with 1/2 scoop of whey. Then I throw my gym clothes on, mix up my preworkout, and hop in the car to head to the gym. I also drink a carb/protein shake intra workout as well

bwdill

bwdill

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My go-to easy digesting carb source is rice cakes. I usually keep 2-3 next to my bed and eat them upon waking with 1/2 scoop of whey. Then I throw my gym clothes on, mix up my preworkout, and hop in the car to head to the gym. I also drink a carb/protein shake intra workout as well
To me this is a perfect pre workout meal. The only other route for a quick and easy digesting carb source would be liquid carbs like Carbolic or Carbotein.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
To me this is a perfect pre workout meal. The only other route for a quick and easy digesting carb source would be liquid carbs like Carbolic or Carbotein.
I strive for perfection :)

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
I've been getting up before work to train for about 3 years. I've tried granola, a drink of ground oats/protein, yogurts, Hershey kisses (wth), and all I can think of to get calories in before lifting. To be honest, I don't like the way i feel immediately after eating that early. I'm just not hungry first thing in the morning.

So, I have up on foods. I have a little almond milk or Fairlife milk with some coffee before going to the gym and while I'm at the gym I drink Gatorade powder mixed with my Active Amino BCAA's. A 7g scoop of Gatorade on hypertrophy and accessory only days, and whatever the large scoop is on days I squat or deadlift. Gatorade is loaded with carbs, so it helps with fuel but still doesn't make me feel like I'm forcing in another meal.

You could also keep Gatorade by the bed and drink some every time you wake up.
Sorry I should have been more clear but I'm looking for stuff to eat before bed and see if it will help by the time it's time to workout. I go to sleep at 630am and wake up at noon so maybe if I eat something after 4am to load me up for a workout.

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
Have you given thought to something like Carb Boom! or Clif Shots? They're around 100 calories, easily digestible, and designed to provide workout energy.

I use them pre-cardio. I never thought about (until now) pre-strength training since I always do that later in the day (after work).

Just a thought.
I'll check them out thanks

raul87

raul87

Awards
  • Established
Or after your safety meeting run down to the derrickhands MudPits and walk from the pill tank to the sand trap and back for an hour!

I'm in the patch too, makes it real hard sometimes.
Yeah eating healthy much less leaving often is a bitch in this line of work. I'm usually in a shop though I only go put on the field to fix **** but a 15 min job can turn into a 5hr job and then all the driving time to get into the middle of nowhere

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've actually been keeping a container of rice cakes and some protein in my car recently for snacks. Quick, easy, and good.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I've actually been keeping a container of rice cakes and some protein in my car recently for snacks. Quick, easy, and good.
You can never go wrong with rice cakes. They go great with anything, digest easily, and they make tracking calories/macros easy. One of my favorite carb sources for sure.