Training Fasted and Building Muscle

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Ben Pakulski recently uploaded a new Youtube video where he answers the question "can you build muscle if you train fasted?" His immediate answer is "no". What are your thoughts on this? Here's the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0OHCKLXn0A

TestMe24

TestMe24

Awards
I wouldnt see why not... if you train fasted but still eat enough calories/macros throughout the day? training fasted would probably affect performance, but if you power through it anyway, why couldnt you?

am i missing something here?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt see why not... if you train fasted but still eat enough calories/macros throughout the day? training fasted would probably affect performance, but if you power through it anyway, why couldnt you?

am i missing something here?
That's exactly what I thought, I was just surprised to hear it from someone who's so high up and knowledgeable in the sport. Ben gives a lot of great info and advice on topics of body composition and performance, so I was shocked to hear him say that. I was just posting to see what others thought about the idea, and about his response. I agree with you 100% though

TestMe24

TestMe24

Awards
That's exactly what I thought, I was just surprised to hear it from someone who's so high up and knowledgeable in the sport. Ben gives a lot of great info and advice on topics of body composition and performance, so I was shocked to hear him say that. I was just posting to see what others thought about the idea, and about his response. I agree with you 100% though
and he's huge on exercise science. i remember seeing his training lab from Generation Iron.

so its hard to question a guy like him

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
and he's huge on exercise science. i remember seeing his training lab from Generation Iron.

so its hard to question a guy like him
exactly. so i was really thrown off when i heard him say that. but i feel like if you're eating in a surplus and your consistently eating enough protein and taking in adequate calories, why wouldn't muscle growth be possible? dammit ben

TestMe24

TestMe24

Awards
exactly. so i was really thrown off when i heard him say that. but i feel like if you're eating in a surplus and your consistently eating enough protein and taking in adequate calories, why wouldn't muscle growth be possible? dammit ben
thats like saying if you train fasted, youre body will no longer be bound by the laws of thermodynamics and you will not gain in a surplus.

brb, gonna go train fasted and eat 20 cheat meals. unless it only applies to muscle.

DAMN YOU BEN!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm surprised he doesn't say we need 6-8 meals a day to build muscle.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
oh yeah, I just lost a pound of muscle typing this because I didn't eat before using my forearms

TestMe24

TestMe24

Awards
oh yeah, I just lost a pound of muscle typing this because I didn't eat before using my forearms
i wasted a whole workout because i forgot to drink a BCAA shake intraworkout.

not to mention i didnt front load creatine for a week like you are supposed to...

brb gonna go post in the beta-noob forum

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He is very bro science from what I remember. Also, it might be different for him since he uses better supps. Don't know if that has any merit though, just a thought.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm sure he knows gaining muscle is possible, but I believe he was basing his answer more on being able to gain serious size and if he thinks it's optimal for growth. I personally don't know anyone who is truly BIG and ripped that regularly trains fasted or follows any type of fasting diet. Those who do carry a ton of muscle really can't afford to hold off on food if they want to hit their required calories for growth as well, which is also a big reason many bbers eat/recommend 5-10 meals per day...they aren't small portions either.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have trained fasted in the am for years, I am no monster but I am bigger than the average Non Trainer ??

jeffreyv90

jeffreyv90

Awards
I know a majority of everyone that trains in the military trains fasted. There isnt much time to wake up and eat before PT, and besides you would probably throw it up if you did. We gain muscle all the time...

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm sure he knows gaining muscle is possible, but I believe he was basing his answer more on being able to gain serious size and if he thinks it's optimal for growth. I personally don't know anyone who is truly BIG and ripped that regularly trains fasted or follows any type of fasting diet. Those who do carry a ton of muscle really can't afford to hold off on food if they want to hit their required calories for growth as well, which is also a big reason many bbers eat/recommend 5-10 meals per day...they aren't small portions either.
He should probably be specific because it just sounds like someone that is out of touch. Unless he is talking about a very specific group of people, namely top BBs, then it simply isn't true.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He should probably be specific because it just sounds like someone that is out of touch. Unless he is talking about a very specific group of people, namely top BBs, then it simply isn't true.
Yeah, I don't really follow him, but think he's smarter than that. I'm guessing he just doesn't think it's ideal and may have gone into more detail as to why if it wasn't a rapid fire Q and A format.

SLW2

SLW2

Awards
I have trained fasted in the am for years, I am no monster but I am bigger than the average Non Trainer ??
Same here.

I'm sure if I could workout later in the day performance would be better and I might be a bit stronger on my lifts, but I still build muscle training fasted.