Trainer Dies after drinking PWO equivalent to 200 cups of coffee

WesleyInman

WesleyInman

Well-known member
Awards
4
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Trainer Dies After Drinking Pre-Workout Drink Equivalent To 200 Coffee Cups




KEY POINTS
  • Thomas Anthony Mansfield, 29, died in January after consuming 5 grams of caffeine powder
  • He had 392 milligrams of caffeine per liter of blood or the equivalent of drinking nearly 200 cups of coffee
  • The caffeine powder brand used by Mansfield has since made some alterations to its product
A 29-year-old man in Wales died after consuming caffeine powder equivalent to 200 cups of coffee because of an inaccurate weighing scale, an inquest heard Monday.

Thomas Anthony Mansfield, of Colwyn Bay, died on Jan. 5 at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd after he miscalculated the amount of caffeine in his pre-workout drink, NorthWalesLive reported.

The father of two was "likely aiming for a mid-range serving" of caffeine powder he had bought from Blackburn Distributions, a United Kingdom-based sports supplement company, according to WalesOnline.

However, he ended up consuming around 5 grams (0.18 ounces) of the supplement since his digital scale had a starting weight of 2 grams (0.07 ounces) — exceeding the powder's 300 milligrams (0.01 ounces) recommended daily serving size, the inquest at Ruthin County Hall heard.

Mansfield, a "really healthy" security guard and personal trainer started to clutch his chest and lay down on his home's sofa after taking the pre-workout drink, his wife, Suzannah, said.

He then allegedly started to froth at the mouth and was taken to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd with a "grossly abnormal" heart rhythm. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.


Mansfield's cause of death was determined to be caffeine toxicity, with a postmortem examination revealing he had 392 milligrams (0.013 ounces) of caffeine per liter of blood or the equivalent of drinking almost 200 cups of coffee.

Having at least 78 milligrams (0.002 ounces) of caffeine per liter of blood can result in caffeine toxicity.

Mansfield's death was a misadventure due to the unintended result of his actions in consuming the caffeine powder, senior coroner John Gittins concluded.

The provision of a scoop and an A4 instruction sheet in the all-new packets of the caffeine powder brand Mansfield used has "massively reassured" Gittins that action has been taken to prevent similar cases from occurring in the future.

Mansfield would likely still be alive today had the scoops been available at the time of the incident, the coroner noted.

The instruction and warnings on the caffeine powder packet were not in breach of regulations at the time, Gittins said.

Well-wishers reportedly rallied together to raise funds for Mansfield's wife and the couple's two children.
 
GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
4
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
so sad :(

im against caffeine bulk powders ( i know in this case the scale wasnt reset
 
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
4
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
so sad :(

im against caffeine bulk powders ( i know in this case the scale wasnt reset
Almost any bulk powder (of a type that this group might use), if misweighed in that manner could kill someone, though...
 
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
6
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Almost any bulk powder (of a type that this group might use), if misweighed in that manner could kill someone, though...
years ago i had a similar experience with bulk yohimbine when it was for sale by the gram.
 
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
4
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
years ago i had a similar experience with bulk yohimbine when it was for sale by the gram.
WOW.
Yeah, that could be bad.
I've seen other guys do it with other powders, as well.
So dangerous, if you aren't very careful.
 
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
6
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Did you have to go to the Hospital?
no, but i was lying on bed with heart pounding and sweating so bad i soaked the sheets--my wife wanted to call ambulance but i told her not to. it was pretty bad.
 
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
4
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
no, but i was lying on bed with heart pounding and sweating so bad i soaked the sheets--my wife wanted to call ambulance but i told her not to. it was pretty bad.
WOW.
I'm glad it turned out ok
 

scump

Member
Awards
2
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do hate when bulk powders like this don't include a scoop. I understand its to reduce cost but obviously its a potential hazard.

Relying on consumers to purchase their own accurate micro-scales and to use them competently isn't really a safe measure for companies.

Definitely a shame what has happened, an offensive example of when people don't understand what they're actually using. (to identify the difference between 5g and 300mcg)
 
KvanH

KvanH

Well-known member
Awards
4
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do hate when bulk powders like this don't include a scoop. I understand its to reduce cost but obviously its a potential hazard.

Relying on consumers to purchase their own accurate micro-scales and to use them competently isn't really a safe measure for companies.

Definitely a shame what has happened, an offensive example of when people don't understand what they're actually using. (to identify the difference between 5g and 300mcg)
Well, it isn't rare for a pwo powder for example to include a scoop, that does not measure correctly. I allways measure the full scoop on scale and compare to the directions on the label before first use, to see how much the scoop actually holds. Usually if it's incorrect, it's less, than said on the label, which is less harmful, but have had scoops that hold a couple grams more, than is said on the label.

But I agree a scoop of somekind at least close to the instructed measurement provided with the product is most times better, than no scoop at all. Just wanted to point out (to anyone reading), that you can't blindly trust the scoop provided along with the product. Which is kind of weird and lowsy production quality by the manufacturer of the product.
 
Last edited:
Lumalux

Lumalux

Member
Awards
2
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
no, but i was lying on bed with heart pounding and sweating so bad i soaked the sheets--my wife wanted to call ambulance but i told her not to. it was pretty bad.
This practically happens to me on just a regular dose of yohimbine. I have to be really careful with it.
 
Kronic

Kronic

Well-known member
Awards
5
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
very sad. ya I've avoided straight caffeine powder for this reason. though I've had a slightly bad time once with dmaa powder. don't mess with dmaa powder either
 
Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Well-known member
Awards
3
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Poor guy. But the general rule applies; anything in excess can kill you.
 
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
6
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This practically happens to me on just a regular dose of yohimbine. I have to be really careful with it.
AMEN, BROTHER!!!
 

Similar threads


Top