Unanswered Top quality whey protein out there ?

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking to buy some whey protein and take advantage of any sale of good quality protein ?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If cost is not an issue:
XF 2.0 (LCP, Cinnamon Roll, Mocha, Chocoalte Mint)
MSI Lean Whey (Lean Charms, Oatmeal Cookie etc...)
Ghost Whey
Beverly UMP (CNC is amazing)
Metabolic Nutrition (PB Cookie is GOAT)

A little costly but not breaking the bank:
MTS (Pumpkin, Red Velvet, PB CnC, CnC, Triple Aussie Biscuit)
Nutrabio
Iforce Protean (Blueberry & RV)
Sparta Nutrition (Cinna Crunch and PB Cups)

Cost Effective:
Dymatize Whey (Choc PB, Choc Cake Batter, Snickerdoodle, Chocolate Fudge)
Cellucor (Cinn Swirl, Choc PB, Molten Chocolate)
PES (Vanilla, WCM, PB Cookie, SnickerDoodle)
Animal Whey (Banana, Red Velvet, Cookies & Cream)
Rule 1 (Banana, Fudge Brownie, Red Velvet, Pumpkin)

Isolate:
Xtend Pro (Chocolate and Vanilla are my favorites)
MAN Sports Iso (All the flavors are great I have tried)
Dymatize Iso-100 (Birthday Cake, Orange Cream, PB, Choc PB)
Allmax Isoflex (Choc PB)
Gaspari Precision (Blueberry, Neo, CTC)

Vegan:
Nutrex Vegan
PES Vegan (Choc is best)
AI No Whey (Pumpkin)
SAN Raw Fusion
Ghost Vegan

Egg:
Gaspari Proven Egg

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If cost is not an issue:
XF 2.0 (LCP, Cinnamon Roll, Mocha, Chocoalte Mint)
MSI Lean Whey (Lean Charms, Oatmeal Cookie etc...)
Ghost Whey
Beverly UMP (CNC is amazing)
Metabolic Nutrition (PB Cookie is GOAT)

A little costly but not breaking the bank:
MTS (Pumpkin, Red Velvet, PB CnC, CnC, Triple Aussie Biscuit)
Nutrabio
Iforce Protean (Blueberry & RV)
Sparta Nutrition (Cinna Crunch and PB Cups)

Cost Effective:
Dymatize Whey (Choc PB, Choc Cake Batter, Snickerdoodle, Chocolate Fudge)
Cellucor (Cinn Swirl, Choc PB, Molten Chocolate)
PES (Vanilla, WCM, PB Cookie, SnickerDoodle)
Animal Whey (Banana, Red Velvet, Cookies & Cream)
Rule 1 (Banana, Fudge Brownie, Red Velvet, Pumpkin)

Isolate:
Xtend Pro (Chocolate and Vanilla are my favorites)
MAN Sports Iso (All the flavors are great I have tried)
Dymatize Iso-100 (Birthday Cake, Orange Cream, PB, Choc PB)
Allmax Isoflex (Choc PB)
Gaspari Precision (Blueberry, Neo, CTC)

Vegan:
Nutrex Vegan
PES Vegan (Choc is best)
AI No Whey (Pumpkin)
SAN Raw Fusion
Ghost Vegan

Egg:
Gaspari Proven Egg
Thank u that’s pretty detailed and a lot of options , u know if any of these options on sale for Labor Day ?

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What y’all think of myprotein impact whey quality?

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I only use molk now as it’s the best tasting protein I’ve found and it doesn’t make me feel like **** with the probiotics in it. Also the strawberry isn’t half bad and it’s the best I’ve tasted out of any strawberry powder

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I only use molk now as it’s the best tasting protein I’ve found and it doesn’t make me feel like **** with the probiotics in it. Also the strawberry isn’t half bad and it’s the best I’ve tasted out of any strawberry powder

H

hamdysayed

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I never cared for taste I prefer unflavored , I found 11 lbs of impact whey isolates for 72 bucks , anyone tried ?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I never cared for taste I prefer unflavored , I found 11 lbs of impact whey isolates for 72 bucks , anyone tried ?
Dang 11 lbs for 72 bucks. That’s almost too good to be true!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It was 66$ yesterday cos of Labor Day ! Just not sure if quality is good
The Solutions Rule 1 deal would be better and better quality protein powder.

D

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Really impressed with the Rule 1 blend. It's better than some of the more expensive brands I've bought like AllMax. Highly recommend the Frozen Banana.

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If its not an isolate its not quality
That is just not evenly remotely true.

Concentrate doesn’t mean poor quality, in fact a quality concentrate will contain more growth factors just due to less “stuff” being processed out.

Otherwise it looks like OP has some good advice and options going here.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ill be able to get you 10lbs of Rule 1 Whey Blend for around $52-54 next week :)
Do you mind PMing me whenever you can on that? Never used R1 but I will take your word for it, you know this better than anyone. You are the Protein Shifu.

The Solutions Rule 1 deal would be better and better quality protein powder.
I think Myprotein is pretty good quality, no issues there. I consistently buy their stuff because of price and quality - but I can agree that a lot of the flavors are not as enjoyable, especially with the isolates.

They had a mill protein I really liked because it was a good mix of proteins and had a good protein:calorie ratio. But again, flavor could be improved.

Some of the impact concentrate stuff did taste decent.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think Myprotein is pretty good quality, no issues there. I consistently buy their stuff because of price and quality - but I can agree that a lot of the flavors are not as enjoyable, especially with the isolates.
Agreed. I haven't found an isolate powder where I really love the taste.

ItalOne

ItalOne

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I’ve been using the bb.com signature isolate.
Not very many flavors but the vanilla and chocolate flavors are both proper and it’s on sale almost every week.

U

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is just not evenly remotely true.

Concentrate doesn’t mean poor quality, in fact a quality concentrate will contain more growth factors just due to less “stuff” being processed out.

Otherwise it looks like OP has some good advice and options going here.
Sorry but lactose and sugar is not quality IMO. If your gut can handle it go for it

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just bought some devotion nutrition protein. Looking forward to trying it out.

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sorry but lactose and sugar is not quality IMO. If your gut can handle it go for it
Someone’s personal intolerances doesn’t have any relevance to the actual quality of an ingredient.

I’d avoid it if I had a lactose issue, but if not there’s still hardly any sugar and like I mentioned there’s other growth factors that isolate strips out (not even getting into the different processes of isolate, etc).

That’s fine if it’s your preference though! More power to you and more WPC80 for me. 👍

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
That's not really a quality thing, it is simply more protein per gram with an isolate vs. a concentrate.

Otherwise all milk sources would be considered poor quality when that isn't true.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This brand is all I buy now. The vanilla is solid as well
I really enjoy the rule 1 favoring, not over the top, but still very solid for the price.
BSN IsoBurn Buy 1 Get 1 Free
Redcon1 Protein will be Buy 1 Get 1 Free
Dymatize Protein (Isolate, Whey, Casein, XT) Buy 1 Get 1 Free
Nutrex Vegan Buy 1 Get 1 50% Off

Even if one doesn't like Whey or Whey Blends (which has a lot of scientific backing to them), there is always deals for people's preference out there.

tubzy

tubzy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Someone’s personal intolerances doesn’t have any relevance to the actual quality of an ingredient.

I’d avoid it if I had a lactose issue, but if not there’s still hardly any sugar and like I mentioned there’s other growth factors that isolate strips out (not even getting into the different processes of isolate, etc).

That’s fine if it’s your preference though! More power to you and more WPC80 for me. 👍
Not necessarily true. This study showed whey protein concentrate are inferior to isolate due to the furosine content. I don't think I would consider furosine more beneficial "growth factors."

https://www.ergo-log.com/quality-of-protein-whey-isolate-better-than-that-of-protein-whey-concentrate.html

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not necessarily true. This study showed whey protein concentrate are inferior to isolate due to the furosine content. I don't think I would consider furosine more beneficial "growth factors."

https://www.ergo-log.com/quality-of-protein-whey-isolate-better-than-that-of-protein-whey-concentrate.html
So this is probably one of those situations where it is important to read more than just the abstract and an alarmist blog post.

From the actual study itself, before even digging into it in depth:
Samples with higher levels are suspected of use of low quality milk-based ingredients or inappropriate storage conditions.
What we should take from this is that you probably shouldn't buy super cheap whey protein since it is probably of inferior processing (heat tends to increase Furosine amounts, so it would be increased with heat processing vs cold filtration) and that it is worth paying a little more if you can guarantee a higher quality Whey Protein Concentrate (like the WPC-80 I alluded to).

Thanks for the insight though, it is always good to continue to check and re-check beliefs and assumptions to make sure you don't miss pertinent info. (y)

D

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
This wasnt available when the thread started but like buildfast 80/20 vanilla. Solid profile great taste and intro sale had decent pricing.

I normally use UMP but BF 80/20 may just be my new go to

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
This wasnt available when the thread started but like buildfast 80/20 vanilla. Solid profile great taste and intro sale had decent pricing.

Yes sir
Love hearing this and thanks for the support
Ever need a coupon or discount let me know

D

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar

I wish someone else would attempt their (UMP) angel food cake. The vitacost stuff just doesn't cut it.

I bet BFF could pull it off...

retroscapers

retroscapers

Awards
  • Established
i hate to be this guy....but i’m a shill for Evogen Isoject. Have I bought more than 3 tubs ever? no. i can’t justify their price for a 2lb but it digests EXTREMELYYYYY well.

tubzy

tubzy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So this is probably one of those situations where it is important to read more than just the abstract and an alarmist blog post.

From the actual study itself, before even digging into it in depth:

What we should take from this is that you probably shouldn't buy super cheap whey protein since it is probably of inferior processing (heat tends to increase Furosine amounts, so it would be increased with heat processing vs cold filtration) and that it is worth paying a little more if you can guarantee a higher quality Whey Protein Concentrate (like the WPC-80 I alluded to).

Thanks for the insight though, it is always good to continue to check and re-check beliefs and assumptions to make sure you don't miss pertinent info. (y)
Lol, you are contradicting your points here a bit my friend, but I respect your opinion. First, you make an argument claiming:

"Concentrate doesn’t mean poor quality, in fact a quality concentrate will contain more growth factors just due to less “stuff” being processed out."

I didn't see any sources or references for what these "growth factors" necessarily are. There is significantly less lactose and fat in whey protein isolates compared to concentrates, why would you want more lactose and fat (even sugar) instead of actual pure protein though?

Next statement:

"That’s fine if it’s your preference though! More power to you and more WPC80 for me."

If you are advocating for 80% of WC protein then you are filtering out the other "growth factors" that you claim and that negates your first argument about why WC would be better, which then proves whey protein isolate is superior in terms of protein content.

I don't know which exact WPC 80 brand you are referencing but let's use this one for example as it was the first one on Google I came across:
http://liusa.com/products/wpc80-2/

Easy enough they actually list a pie chart of the total assay but I see nothing that references growth factors or anything out of the ordinary than what standard whey looks like.

I'm still not convinced why someone would chose WC (even WC80) over a high quality whey protein isolate maybe besides for cost saving purposes. There is a reason why whey protein concentrates are significantly cheaper to produce and are usually blended with high quality isolates in order to cut costs (i.e. similar strategy to using a prop blend).

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya I mean honestly it is probably majoring a bit in the minors and isn't a huge factor. I'll try to explain the thought process a bit since sometimes I kind of say things with my own personal assumptions and biases thrown in without explaining to not get too long (I type way too much all the time anyways).

I don't think your opinion is differing from mine too much, but lets dive in a little deeper for some potentially useless speculation (I say that in the sense that what I will lay out may not really have as much impact in the long run but still may serve some importance).

We can view it kind of as a sliding scale with not really these huge hard lines between WPI vs WPC, as WPI is kind of like just saying WPC-90 (we've just continued the processing even further from say WPC-80, which to do does typically require different processes to go further).

We are usually looking at growth factors and subfractions of proteins with things like immunoglobulins, lactoferrin, etc.

These things do tend to decrease with the further the processing that is applied. Keeping in mind that with proper higher end processing we may still keep some intact (probably not all, but "more"), but this also starts to come at a higher cost too.

So the thought does make sense that well maybe if there are more in WPC-80 vs WPI then why don't I just have something like WPC-60 that may have even more? I don't see why that wouldn't be a terrible train of thought.

I view it as a balancing act though between enough processing that we remove some of the lactose, carbs, fat, cholesterol, etc., but not move so far along the processing scale that we still keep some more of those growth factors from being lost, while also keeping cost in mind.

That is why I usually land with WPC-80 as close to my go-to for whey.

That said here is how I would finally break that down.

1) If money isn't an issue and/or you have a lactose intolerance then find the best Isolate you can that uses the best filtration processes that don't denature the proteins/growth factors. Probably won't have as many as lower levels, but possibly a non-issue and if you can't tolerate lactose you'll have to go isolate anyways.

2) If money is a little tighter and you don't have an intolerance to lactose, then I don't feel it is worth getting too worked up over a couple grams of fat and carbs and you probably get more intact growth factors in the whey.

3) At the end of the day I hardly use protein powders anymore anyways and if I do it is a blend to try and get the most out of a range of benefits.

I hope that makes sense. Again I appreciate the discourse, as it did force me to step back reassess some beliefs I've had for a bit and think again. (y)

Also as far as:
I'm still not convinced why someone would chose WC (even WC80) over a high quality whey protein isolate maybe besides for cost saving purposes. There is a reason why whey protein concentrates are significantly cheaper to produce and are usually blended with high quality isolates in order to cut costs (i.e. similar strategy to using a prop blend).
As far as this then yes the bold still is potentially the major issue for some (on my personal scale I just don't see the cost outweighing the decrease in tiny amounts of carbs/fat). The second part is also part of why I look for companies listing the amounts of each protein they use and the source. If a company lists it or a company uses a higher priced whey like WPC-80 I am going to be more likely to believe they aren't cutting corners elsewhere (or if they post labs of protein testing it is an even bigger plus).

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just to stoke the fire:

Two extremes - if processing is bad then why process at all? And if processing is good, why not process it until we have a pile of nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen and oxygen?

I think some of the WPC-80 crowd has been marketed to in a way to make cost savings measures seem like higher quality measures. And isolates have a purpose, but at an added cost. I mean..peptides themselves are super expensive.

But people think too much about it. If it has a macro profile that fits your diet, has reasonable quality (you can never be sure) and tastes good enough to ingest on the regular...it passes muster. People can be very healthy and strong without using powders at all. I once was talking to a young guy who set a squatting record and the only powder he knew about was ON Gold Standard. He didn't give a crap.

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

But people think too much about it. If it has a macro profile that fits your diet, has reasonable quality (you can never be sure) and tastes good enough to ingest on the regular...it passes muster. People can be very healthy and strong without using powders at all.
This haha I spent more time thinking about it in this thread than I probably have all of the last 5 years combined. :LOL: