Tips on cutting off eating at night time?

ikeNball

ikeNball

Awards
  • Established
Self-explanatory. Once I'm home and relaxing from the work grind, I start eating and I really just cannot seem to stop.

What are you the best things you guys do to help make a certain cut off point or time?

(Besides eat lots of veggies, and drink water!!!) I have those covered.

JL85

Awards
Tape your mouth lol...
joking when you think your hungry drink some water if your full than great most times your just thirsty, if not I usually grab an orange at night depends on how
Many calories I have left

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rice cakes are a solid choice or a glass of water with pysluim husks in it
My night hunger is insane too so I know those feels

Fitfactory

Fitfactory

Awards
I have the same issue. Eat perfect all day, then get hungry after 9 pm. I usually have a protein bar and some olives

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Brush your teeth
This, brushing your teeth after dinner is a surefire way to prevent night time snacking. I would also suggest tea or brewing some decaf coffee, which is usually what I do after dinner to blunt nighttime cravings

corinthians

Awards
make a vegetable shake. all raw and large water. Is healthy and takes away your hunger.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not sure on your calorie intake throughout the day but you could eat more during the day. Also chew gum when you think you should be full. I do this a lot when I'm restricting calories and anecdotally it seems to help for me. I also do the brush teeth suggestion sometimes.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Save some calories for night time eating. Obviously is best to no eat late a night but if u know u probably will, plan on it. I religiously eat a meal before bed. Keeps me from looking for ice cream and donuts a midnight

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Self-explanatory. Once I'm home and relaxing from the work grind, I start eating and I really just cannot seem to stop.

What are you the best things you guys do to help make a certain cut off point or time?

IF... I only really get a chance to relax and eat in the evening anyways due to my schedule... So I fast all day and then I can pretty much eat until stuffed at night (clean food obviously) and be both happy, well fed, and healthy.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Get a fiber supplement and throw in some apple cidar vinegar

After that go brush your teeth and you will be full AND have a healthy set of chompers!!!!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

After that go brush your teeth and you will be full AND have a healthy set of chompers!!!!
do fiber supps even help anyone? I've tried them before and literally notice no difference than if I had just drank the same amount of liquid in plain water...

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
do fiber supps even help anyone? I've tried them before and literally notice no difference than if I had just drank the same amount of liquid in plain water...
I notice a difference when I take it and when I don't. PLUS it helps me out first thing in the morning....ya dig!!!!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I notice a difference when I take it and when I don't. PLUS it helps me out first thing in the morning....ya dig!!!!
Haha well it looks like I'm out of luck then since that's my standard timing anyways ;)

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
I'm a horrible night eater myself. I try to eat only casein protein sources before bed: cottage cheese or plain Greek yogurt. When I'm cutting, I'll buy a tub of casein and only have a shake right before bed.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Usually a few slices of pizza or a quick run to Taco Bell curbs my nighttime cravings

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
With the fiber supplements I notice that if I use them through the day it helps me. If I use it as a stop gap not as much. Also i fill myself with brocoli during the day and lot's of protien and a small potato or some rice I notice my night cravings haven't been as intense. I'm also maintaining at 3200 so i am typically stuffed by the time I am home from work and forcing a shake down.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

All this. Fiber supplement with a good amount of water will definitely do the trick.

Also in the past I have relied on gum through some of those difficult nights

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nopalina in Miami is famous. I find eating a bunch of carrots and a glass or two of water does the same.

Either will make you defecate like a champ the next morning once that cup of Joe hits your system.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like others have said chewing gum or brushing teeth before sitting down to relax has helped me. Otherwise I get snacky.

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Lately me and popcorn having been having quite the relationship vs me + donuts

kjkitzman

kjkitzman

Awards
  • Established
Casein protein powder in oats is my go-to night time snack, right before bed. I also practice IF from (fast 16 hours and eat for 8 hours) It is the easiest when cutting! Makes it feel like a breeze... :veryhappy:

I also find Powerade Zero helps curb my appetite, with 0 calories and 0 caffeine.

Gorgoroth

Gorgoroth

Awards
I'm sure IF has been mentioned in here. But when you have a designated window, psychologically it is easier to stop.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Go to bed early, play some video games, stay distracted essentially

UnicornDrpns

UnicornDrpns

Awards
Go to bed early, play some video games, stay distracted essentially
Video games is the only way I successfully fast. Sleeping and competitive video gaming is the only time I don't feel hungry or think of my next meal.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
That would work for me if I didn't have a wife and daughter complaining about the light at night. >.<

rodherm

Awards
  • Established
You need to find a way to entertain your mind and not being obsessed about food.
A movie, a serie, drinking too much water, chewing gum...all helps!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Consider to workout at night, this way it becomes beneficial to eat late.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wise advise here.
Wise? Nah, more like self defense. :)

Tried ALL and everything to figure out how to keep fat at bay without "suffering".
A good steady source of cals is most important, IMHO.
Here what I'm doing:

During the day I eat:

-1 regular meal
-in between I'm "snacking" on "bulking bread" with coffee.

Bulking bread
-28 oz oats
-1 quart yogurt (self made, no sugar, no flavor)
-1 cup milk -or fruit juice
-12 eggs
-6 oz mixed nuts
-5 scoops casein -or whey (scoop that comes with the casein), taste vanilla
-2 oz dried fruits -or sliced fresh fruit

bulkbread.jpg

mix all up

Oven @ 230 C for 30min

At night I train until 10pm.

Then comes the "big meal", mostly pasta -or rice with meat, up to 300-350gr of carbs.
Even snacking on nuts and dry fruits, some times pieces of bitter chocolate.
Everything goes -besides potato chips, candy or soda.

Am I lean? No. For that it's "suffering" again, LOL.
But I did not gain fat in a year -and upped muscle mass.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Thank you so much for that recipe. I am going to put that to use!

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
hairygrandpa, I put this in myfitnesspal and this is going to be great for me to finally start eating something pre workout early am. Made a batch today. Slightly altered for what I had on hand.

bulking bread.PNG

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hairygrandpa, I put this in myfitnesspal and this is going to be great for me to finally start eating something pre workout early am. Made a batch today. Slightly altered for what I had on hand.

View attachment 146179
Awesome!

The consistency of the dough has to be like cookie dough. Not too moist -not too dry. If it's too moist, use more oats -or protein powder.
You can interchange a lot of the ingredients. Do not use whole peanuts, they get mushy. Almonds -or any other nut is fine.
Protein powder is not necessary but gives it some taste (and more protein, LOL).

Not good as a pre-workout, as it needs time to digest, think of it as fuel for the whole day.
230C (celsius) for 30 min -or until it gets a brown crust.

The first few weeks it can cause gas, will go away after that. (My wife slept in my daughters room for awhile, lol)

jpadworski

Awards

Eat more protein during dinner. Protein keeps you full and satiated for longer. Or eat all your protein at the end of your meal

hamzazaidas

hamzazaidas

Awards

To be completely honest with you, dieting is all about self-control.. you can do a million things, or follow some of the tips people give you on here.. but if you cannot just say NO, you will not be able to stop this habit.

Tearbear

Awards
Fill up on water. I don't care to eat anything at that point