Tips for first timer?

Ironheadclark

Awards
Hey everyone, I am making my first real attempt to get "swole". I've always worked out to some extent but I've always carried a little bit of the spare tire, as it's called. When I first decided this a month ago or so I was at 30% body fat and I was pretty upset with myself. I worked pretty hard for the last several weeks and even got a personal trainer who is really well known in my area and builds some very competitive people. I'm down to about 26% at the moment and he says that he trusts that I really want to make a change so he got me some test e. My diet for the last month has been high protein and a handful of rice and a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter a day for carbs essentially. At this point I am simply trying to cut fat, I'm not too worried about losing a little bit of muscle because I'm a pretty large framed guy as it is. I'm at about 231 lb and 6 ft 2. Been in construction my whole life so I have a broad chest and a relatively large back so.. any tips? Any feedback is appreciated. Hope you all have a great day.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Welcome to the boards. Make sure you only click to the post button once, otherwise we get multiple threads and replies in threads. You should go to your other thread and change the title to delete. That being said, welcome!

You might get a lot of different responses here, but from what I've seen I expect the majority will advise you to put off any steroid use for a few years while you focus on diet, exercise and getting proper rest. If I were you, I would politely decline the testosterone for now and tell your trainer that you want to see how well you do naturally.

Many people want to start taking steroids as soon as possible because they want to feel like they are getting the absolute most out of their training and time in the gym, but right now you really don't need them.

Focus on getting lean and burning off that body fat. Give your tendons and ligaments time to build up and become accustomed to the stresses and volume of exercise you'll be doing. Dial in that diet. Make sure you are getting enough rest each day. Enjoy the ride, and stay dedicated to your routine and your plan. Take measurements, don't just use the scale, log your workouts, take progress photos.

Most importantly: read. If you are really interested in steroids then you need to realize that you know nothing about what you could be getting yourself into. These compounds can change your hormones permanently and can effect your health, and fertility, for the rest of your life.

You definitely picked a great place to come and gain knowledge. You can learn a LOT here and the guys who frequent these boards can answer your questions and give you guidance and advice; but it would be a real bummer if you just decided to start injecting testosterone because your trainer gave it to you and then a year from now you come back here looking for help because your natural testosterone is at the same level as an 80 year old's, you have developed gyno, and you're no longer able to have kids without medical intervention.

Glad you found these boards, I wish you the very best and hope you'll continue to post, start a log to track your progress, and ask tons of questions.

Last edited:

Ironheadclark

Awards
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the fact that there are people in here that want to help guide newbies through their process. I guess I should have said that I've been trying to get rid of this spare tire for about 10 years now. I'm 37 years old and my entire rest of my body is pretty lean and fact. My mom come and God rest her soul, ran gyms and was a health nut her entire life and it always was part of my life as well. I've done, or attempted to do, heavy lifting but I just never got dedicated I've always done some form of cardio including boxing and other martial arts. I didn't want to give the impression that I was some guy that has never been to the gym that wants to take steroids to hurry the process along. I will say that I definitely am totally new to the supplement world and especially the steroid world. I've already taken two milliliters of test e. At the hands of my trainer. He says we're gonna do it for 6 weeks at first to see how my body reacts to it. Any other questions I should ask him? Any other suggestions on what I should stack on top of this? I've started doing a lot of reading but there is just so much information out there I don't really know where to start. 🤯

Attachments

Ironheadclark

Awards
Best advice I can give you is to find a new trainer. Telling you to take test to help you lose your spare tire is idiotic and irresponsible.
Wow that's a little harsh. I mean, this guy has built national champions and definitely knows what he's doing. Sure it's a little aggressive but to call it idiotic is a little extreme. Thoughts from anyone else?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm kinda agreeing with @CasperKValentine If your trainer suggested test for 6 weeks, that's about when it starts to kick in.. Test is not the answer for weight-loss. Diet and exercise will take care of that.
Running test if overweight can cause more harm than good as far as side effects go.
I don't know what 2mm of test equates to, but I'm sure you could stop right now with no problem and just continue on with the training and get that diet dialed in..

Thanks for joining the board. There is definitely a huge wealth of great information here to learn from.

Slow and steady wins the race. Test is not the answer for everything.

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Wow that's a little harsh. I mean, this guy has built national champions and definitely knows what he's doing. Sure it's a little aggressive but to call it idiotic is a little extreme. Thoughts from anyone else?
My reply was curt and I wasn't trying to be mean or negative toward you. I'm glad you joined the board and are reaching out for advice! There are a lot of good folks here. I think you got some great advice above from Math. You stated "At this point I'm simply trying to cut fat". Nobody needs test to cut fat! It's not a fat burner it's an anabolic steroid.

I made some assumptions and I'll admit more facts needed to say 100% irresponsible. Did they talk to you about how it will shutdown you normal test production? Ask you if you plan on trying to have children? Did they talk about Post Cycle Therapy when you come off? What about Estrogen conversion? Did they talk about getting blood work done? This is the only way to know for sure that your estrogen levels are in check as well as other health markers such at Hemoglobin and Hematocrit levels? These levels rise as a side effect of test and lot of us need to donate blood in order to keep these levels under control. This happens even on low TRT doses. If this was all brought up I take back my comment about being irresponsible. I still think its a terrible idea and unnecessary risk at the point you are at.

All this being said I'm not against gear use. It's just serious business and has it's place. Whatever you decide to to I do wish you luck man! Keep at it and remember its a marathon not a sprint. Results will come it just takes time and commitment. If it was easy there be a lot more swole dudes walking around!!

Ironheadclark

Awards
My reply was curt and I wasn't trying to be mean or negative toward you. I'm glad you joined the board and are reaching out for advice! There are a lot of good folks here. I think you got some great advice above from Math. You stated "At this point I'm simply trying to cut fat". Nobody needs test to cut fat! It's not a fat burner it's an anabolic steroid.

I made some assumptions and I'll admit more facts needed to say 100% irresponsible. Did they talk to you about how it will shutdown you normal test production? Ask you if you plan on trying to have children? Did they talk about Post Cycle Therapy when you come off? What about Estrogen conversion? Did they talk about getting blood work done? This is the only way to know for sure that your estrogen levels are in check as well as other health markers such at Hemoglobin and Hematocrit levels? These levels rise as a side effect of test and lot of us need to donate blood in order to keep these levels under control. This happens even on low TRT doses. If this was all brought up I take back my comment about being irresponsible. I still think its a terrible idea and unnecessary risk at the point you are at.

All this being said I'm not against gear use. It's just serious business and has it's place. Whatever you decide to to I do wish you luck man! Keep at it and remember its a marathon not a sprint. Results will come it just takes time and commitment. If it was easy there be a lot more swole dudes walking around!!
Right on. I'm definitely gonna bring it up with him today wheni go in. Thanks for all the input. Super cool.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Did they talk to you about how it will shutdown you normal test production? Ask you if you plan on trying to have children? Did they talk about Post Cycle Therapy when you come off? What about Estrogen conversion? Did they talk about getting blood work done? This is the only way to know for sure that your estrogen levels are in check as well as other health markers such at Hemoglobin and Hematocrit levels? These levels rise as a side effect of test and lot of us need to donate blood in order to keep these levels under control. This happens even on low TRT doses.
This is all really important stuff. The guys here know their stuff, and sometimes you'll get some tough love here, but please understand that anyone taking the time to type what Casper did isn't doing so with an agenda, or to hurt your feelings, but out of concern for your health and well-being (as well as the dozens or hundreds of others who will read these threads weeks or years from now who might also be considering making similar choices).

I am no expert when it comes to steroids. I've been coming here for around 6 months, and I still have a TON to learn. When I originally came here it was to learn more about Anavar because I was trying to get some to use it and speed up my gains in the gym. Two things happened: I realized that I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I did about steroids and hormones, and the doctor I was trying to get a prescription from declined to let me get a hold of the stuff. I'm thankful those things happened, and I have been making great progress through just diet, exercise and supplements.

I'm very hopeful that you'll decide to stop (or at least pause) your test use until you get more info, and get your bloods done. It's really important to know what your natural levels are with all of the things listed previously before you start injecting. Otherwise you won't know what the injections are doing to you, or where you need to try to get back to when the injections stop.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m going to echo what’s already been said. If you’re just getting back in the gym and your BF is that high, your trainer is an f-ing idiot. Get another one and don’t even think about gear until you’ve been lifting for a while and your BF is about half or more of what it is now.

chunkymunkey

chunkymunkey

Awards
Hey mate. I can relate to your situation; ballooned beyond 30% bf and ~115kgs (about 250ish pounds) and felt like **** day-to-day. I can tell you that getting it off is so much harder than putting it on, especially for us blokes closing in on 40!
I'm making progress, but it's been an 18 month journey so far. I lost 15kgs, and have put on muscle, but I've still got a long way to go -- especially before I start even thinking about steroids.
If you want to take supplements to help, there are plenty of other natural options to help you along your way without resorting to the extremes of anabolics. Most importantly, though, you want to look at your routines and your diet first. Ensure you're getting enough quality sleep, controlling your stress levels, eating the right foods at the right serving sizes. Build a foundation of good habits and strong routines, and only then should you really start to look at fat burners or performance enhancers. You can't build a house on sand.
For me, I just started with protein powders and creatine + multivitamins and fish oil for general health. I'd take some magnesium and melatonin before bed and started with improving my sleep -- I'd stretch and meditate at night, minimise my screentime, and get to bed at the same time every night. This had a profound impact on how I felt.
I started meal prep so I had clean meals conveniently available, which helped immensely. I would slow cook chicken, boil some sweet potato and smash it with cinnamon and make a cottage pie; or I would slow cook beef cheeks and then just boil some wholemeal pasta and mix it through before serving. High quality beef mince with kidney beans and mexican seasoning, which I'd do with single serve microwave brown rice and top with some avocado or natural yoghurt. Even my chocolate protein shakes with wholewheat oats, bluberries and a tsp of PB. All easily accessed and set me up for a day of good choices. Take away the decisions so you don't get lazy and do something easier and less healthy because you can't be bothered. Just keep grinding away.
I dropped my alcohol consumption gradually from drinking every day to the occassional zero carb/sugar beer every few weeks at most. I'd aim for a minimum of 10k steps a day -- this was big for me as I work at a desk, it started with a few shorter walks and increased to hour long walks where I could do 10k at once.
I feel like a different man to what I did a year ago, and I am looking like one too. But it's only now, after 18 months of grinding away at my improved routine, and hours of reading on this forum, have I started adding in things like Follidrone, Reduce XT and M-test which have taken my training to another level. I feel like I can appreciate them more because 1) part of me believes I earned them, and 2) I'm in a much better position to take advantage of them because I won't piss it away once the bottle is finished by returning back to old habits.
I know it's probably what you don't want to hear, but there's no quick fix, especially as a 37 year old with a spare tyre! It's hard work, a strong will, and an unrelenting desire to be better than you were the day before that will get you results. Get a trainer who is in it for the long haul and will help you with every step (and they won't always be forward steps, either. Sometimes you take one step back, but then take three forward. That's OK, just keep moving!). Surround yourself with positive influences, work on your mindset, and set yourself mini goals. Take some progress pics and measurements now -- record a baseline. Do it every 4 weeks and compare. You'll be surprised at how much you're changing even when you don't think you are.

You got this!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hey everyone, I am making my first real attempt to get "swole". I've always worked out to some extent but I've always carried a little bit of the spare tire, as it's called. When I first decided this a month ago or so I was at 30% body fat and I was pretty upset with myself. I worked pretty hard for the last several weeks and even got a personal trainer who is really well known in my area and builds some very competitive people. I'm down to about 26% at the moment and he says that he trusts that I really want to make a change so he got me some test e. My diet for the last month has been high protein and a handful of rice and a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter a day for carbs essentially. At this point I am simply trying to cut fat, I'm not too worried about losing a little bit of muscle because I'm a pretty large framed guy as it is. I'm at about 231 lb and 6 ft 2. Been in construction my whole life so I have a broad chest and a relatively large back so.. any tips? Any feedback is appreciated. Hope you all have a great day.
Your not going to like what I have to say but I'm going to give my honest opinion. I don't feel like any reputable personal trainer on the planet would give someone steroids, especially when they only have been working with the person for such a short period of time. I'd be more willing to bet he gave you steroids hoping to speed up results and make you keep coming back.

Here's the downsides to taking steroids when your bodyfat is that high, the more fat you have typically=more negative side effects, particularly estrogen related side effects. You will be way more likely to get bad acne and gyno. Also did he have you do bloodwork before giving you this? Because no trainer with a half of a clue what there doing would put someone on gear without checking there health first. Someone with bf over 20% and closer to 30 could have bad cholesterol problems, insulin sensitivity is probably terrible, estrogen is probably already high.

I know you think it's awesome that he gave you testosterone but I don't even remotely think he did it because he thinks your dedicated, I'd bet my house he did it to make himself look like he's a better trainer then he really is.

I'm not being a dick, I answered that question the same way I would have for a personal friend and if I was to give my buddy gear, first I would diet him down to around 15%bf and then I would tell him to go get basic bloodwork done. Having some basic info on your natural health will be very beneficial to you after your testosterone cycle when you come off to see if things went back to normal

beefyfan

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the fact that there are people in here that want to help guide newbies through their process. I guess I should have said that I've been trying to get rid of this spare tire for about 10 years now. I'm 37 years old and my entire rest of my body is pretty lean and fact. My mom come and God rest her soul, ran gyms and was a health nut her entire life and it always was part of my life as well. I've done, or attempted to do, heavy lifting but I just never got dedicated I've always done some form of cardio including boxing and other martial arts. I didn't want to give the impression that I was some guy that has never been to the gym that wants to take steroids to hurry the process along. I will say that I definitely am totally new to the supplement world and especially the steroid world. I've already taken two milliliters of test e. At the hands of my trainer. He says we're gonna do it for 6 weeks at first to see how my body reacts to it. Any other questions I should ask him? Any other suggestions on what I should stack on top of this? I've started doing a lot of reading but there is just so much information out there I don't really know where to start. 🤯
You look like an extremely off season version of Colby Covington. Now fire your trainer and start reading about bodybuilding nutrition, keto, carb cycling, cardio, etc. Unless you have tested for low T, save that **** for a much later date.

Just breaking your balls a little. Seriously though, your trainer should get **** canned.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Aside from all that, You are what you eat, even on steroids you are what you eat. Diet is the key to success. It's the hardest part to consistently get right too.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Don't let any of this stuff discourage you and don't take it to personal. **** takes time, even on steroids it's gonna take years to reach your goals, that goes for everyone not just you. Only the genetic elite get jacked off 1-2 cycles. The rest of us still need years

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I agree with whoever said it's idiotic, would you mind sharing what he charged you for a bottle of testosterone, how many bottles he sold you and how he explained to you how to use it. Also did he sell you anything else to go along with it. How frequently did he tell you to inject it, stuff like that. Oh and like I said before, did he have you do bloodwork? This will tell a lot about the guy, if I was gonna put someone on gear and they had never used anything before these are all things we would have to sit down and talk about.

Ironheadclark

Awards
I agree with whoever said it's idiotic, would you mind sharing what he charged you for a bottle of testosterone, how many bottles he sold you and how he explained to you how to use it. Also did he sell you anything else to go along with it. How frequently did he tell you to inject it, stuff like that. Oh and like I said before, did he have you do bloodwork? This will tell a lot about the guy, if I was gonna put someone on gear and they had never used anything before these are all things we would have to sit down and talk about.
He did me one 10 mg bottle, 50 dollars. One ml twice a week. Didn't mention getting blood work done. I do 30 minutes of cardio a day. Eat clean. He did my meal plans which are five meals a day with 60 carbs and 200 protein.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
He did me one 10 mg bottle, 50 dollars. One ml twice a week. Didn't mention getting blood work done. I do 30 minutes of cardio a day. Eat clean. He did my meal plans which are five meals a day with 60 carbs and 200 protein.
So 250mg per week for 10 weeks. That's pretty safe. Did he mention anything about how to control estrogen, did he mention anything about post cycle therapy, I'm assuming no. The diet and cardio is irrelevant right now.

You said he knows his stuff but I highly doubt it. He gave a completely inexperienced person a bottle of test... Red flag, I'm guessing no talk about controlling potential side effects and how to properly do pct... Red flag, no talks about getting blood work and checking on your health which is extremely important someone who's overweight and I'm not taking a jab at you I'm talking because I genuinely care about People's health.... Red flag.

Just a heads up do not expect some kind of miracle results out of taking testosterone for 10 weeks because you're not going to see that much bigger of an improvement than you would have without the testosterone. There will be a greater improvement but not something miraculous.

I am not a personal trainer but I do help people out with their diets and stuff like that, I've got someone right now who's down 35 lb in 8 weeks and they're doing fantastic. Find myself constantly go up and wait and then cut back down and it does not take a terribly wrong amount of time with good exercise and a diet.

You're a grown ass man and you can do whatever you want I am not going to sit here until you not to take testosterone because I think every man on the planet should actually take testosterone. Especially in low doses like you're going to be doing.

But, you should learn how to eat and train properly till you reach a healthy bf%, somewhere below 15% would be ideal but even a little above 15 wouldn't be too far fetched.

This trainer does not sound like someone who has his clients best interest in mind, sounds like someone who's looking to give them what they want in order to keep them coming back

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I was using talk to text and there's a couple of typos in there I'm well aware of it but I think you get the point

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So 250mg per week for 10 weeks. That's pretty safe. Did he mention anything about how to control estrogen, did he mention anything about post cycle therapy, I'm assuming no. The diet and cardio is irrelevant right now.

You said he knows his stuff but I highly doubt it. He gave a completely inexperienced person a bottle of test... Red flag, I'm guessing no talk about controlling potential side effects and how to properly do pct... Red flag, no talks about getting blood work and checking on your health which is extremely important someone who's overweight and I'm not taking a jab at you I'm talking because I genuinely care about People's health.... Red flag.

Just a heads up do not expect some kind of miracle results out of taking testosterone for 10 weeks because you're not going to see that much bigger of an improvement than you would have without the testosterone. There will be a greater improvement but not something miraculous.

I am not a personal trainer but I do help people out with their diets and stuff like that, I've got someone right now who's down 35 lb in 8 weeks and they're doing fantastic. Find myself constantly go up and wait and then cut back down and it does not take a terribly wrong amount of time with good exercise and a diet.

You're a grown ass man and you can do whatever you want I am not going to sit here until you not to take testosterone because I think every man on the planet should actually take testosterone. Especially in low doses like you're going to be doing.

But, you should learn how to eat and train properly till you reach a healthy bf%, somewhere below 15% would be ideal but even a little above 15 wouldn't be too far fetched.

This trainer does not sound like someone who has his clients best interest in mind, sounds like someone who's looking to give them what they want in order to keep them coming back
This ^^^^

Get away from your trainer and find someone else.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'll devil's advocate for steroid trainer a little. if he's low t, it might be a good idea to do some trt right? however I definitely don't like the setup. handing someone a vial without any PCT plan or blood tests seems pretty dangerous.

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'll devil's advocate for steroid trainer a little. if he's low t, it might be a good idea to do some trt right? however I definitely don't like the setup. handing someone a vial without any PCT plan or blood tests seems pretty dangerous.
Tough to really cut the trainer much slack here. Without bloods there's no way he would know if the OP needed any TRT, and the point that's been made by a few others still stands: the OP's main goal should be to lose more bf% and injecting test isn't going to directly do that (in addition to probably not even being necessary at this stage, especially compared to diet and exercise).

One thing is for sure: we definitely don't know the whole story; I'd actually love for @Ironheadclark to convince his trainer to join the boards and explain himself in this thread. That would be fantastic.

Ironheadclark

Awards
Tough to really cut the trainer much slack here. Without bloods there's no way he would know if the OP needed any TRT, and the point that's been made by a few others still stands: the OP's main goal should be to lose more bf% and injecting test isn't going to directly do that (in addition to probably not even being necessary at this stage, especially compared to diet and exercise).

One thing is for sure: we definitely don't know the whole story; I'd actually love for @Ironheadclark to convince his trainer to join the boards and explain himself in this thread. That would be fantastic.
Got all your comments. So yeah I'm definitely not going to be taking any more until I do blood work. I'm also going to bring up the post-cycle therapy with him. I'm guessing I'm not low testosterone just because I know myself but I will definitely get it checked out. By the way I'm down 10 lb in 3 weeks without test.. 🤙 I'm not new to the gym and I know how to diet and cut weight when I need to I'm definitely just new to these kinds of supplements and stuff. I'll ask if he would like to chime in. Now that I'm thinking about it he may have mentioned something about something that I should do after this cycle if I decide to continue.

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Great job man, look at the belly going away. Whatever you are doing is working. Now just stay consistent and keep on trucking.

AntonyDiaz

AntonyDiaz

Awards
Agree