Unanswered Tightest Hamstrings in the World; What To Do?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I seem to have such tight hamstrings. I have tried stretching, etc.

The cause seems to be from sitting a lot, etc. But, I still have it worse than people who sit on the computer all day.

For my whole life, the hamstrings seem excessively tight and weak. Couple that with weak and inactive glutes, tight lower back, weak abs, etc.

What can I do for this problem that I can clearly feel pronounced?

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Have you tried foam rolling?

What does your warm up look like prior to training? What is your training like?

I drive around a lot for work and deal with the same thing. Taking a break and doing some glute activation when you can helps. Or even adjusting how you sit. Having your knee higher than your hip when you’re sitting exacerbates this as well

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Focus on strengthening both them and your glutes. If you strengthen your glutes and realign your pelvis your hamstrings will naturally have less tension on them because the glutes are doing their job in holding your pelvis in a neutral position.

Recommendation: Rdls with a 3-4ct eccentric phase, whatever you like for glutes. Glute bridges, kb swings, etc.

If you have a local gym that does true body tempering (ie. with a Donnie T ex-wife) that could help too. Just lay flat on your stomach and let that bad boy chill out on your pelvis and lower hamstrings just above your knees.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Squats, walking Lunges and RDL's (Romanian Deadlifts). Do RDL's a second time each week (20 rep light sets).
Stretch when your warm.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You sit a lot meaning your low back probably has some tightness as well. They go hand in hand.

In order to release your hamstrings, you should also release your low back
Rumble Roll/Foam Roll IT Bands, Hamstrings, Calves

Limbar 11 before you train

Make it a practice to get up and walk around briefly to get out of your chair instead of sitting for prolonged periods of time this causes very tight IT bands and hip flexors

Stretches from John Meadows recent Leg Training Manual

I would also suggest forms of yoga to help with releasing trigger points and getting ART (Deep Tissue Massages)