Thoughts on bloods - TRT, maybe????

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
My primary pulled my test and said I had low T, he ref me to an urologist (about to see him). He was concerned about my free test % being so low.
What do you guys think, do you think the results warrant TRT? Main symptom I notice is I am often tired and not as built as my 20s, but I thought it was part of getting older lol Not sure if I am 100% ready for a lifetime commitment on test cypionate.

Total - 542 ng/dl (Range 300-890_
Sex hormone globulin - 68 nmol/L (Range 11-80)
Testosterone, bioavailable - 204 ng/dL (Range 131-682)
Testosterone, free - 60 pg/ml (Range 47-244)
Testosterone, % free - 1.1 <<<<<<<<<<< This is what my doc was worried about (Range 1.6-2.9%)

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your total test is "ok"
Your free t is low. I would not hop on trt if it's not something you want to commit to. A good Dr. Would try to raise your natural testosterone before putting you on trt. Something as simple as diet changes and a boron supplement 3mg 2x per day could potentially put everything back to a healthy range. There's also symptoms to consider. Lack of energy and not as muscular may or may not be related to the problem, tho it definitely could be. How's sex drive and erection quality. As weird as it sounds those would be a bigger factor to me. Try the boron First

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Your total test isn’t low at all. Low free t is something a good doctor would try and fix try many many other ways other than trt. You’d basically go on trt and be dependent of an injection like me for the rest of your life for what... ending up with the same total test levels almost?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your total test isn’t low at all. Low free t is something a good doctor would try and fix try many many other ways other than trt. You’d basically go on trt and be dependent of an injection like me for the rest of your life for what... ending up with the same total test levels almost?
That's a great point, and going on a real trt dose of testosterone is not a gurentee to raise free test. I've seen people on full blown cycles with tree t still in the normal range and ppl on trt with low free test

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That's a great point, and going on a real trt dose of testosterone is not a gurentee to raise free test. I've seen people on full blown cycles with tree t still in the normal range and ppl on trt with low free test
Yeah that was my initial though too. Usually if someone’s low t and low free t then yes trt and the raised TT often ends up raising free t as well but in his case I wouldn’t be surprised it wouldn’t change much. Whoever he’s going to see soon will probably look more deeply into bloodworks, lifestyle and whatnot and will try several things before trt (as you mentionned) I don’t even think a good doctor (that’s not there for your money) would prescribe trt because someone has low free t. Highly doubt that

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah that was my initial though too. Usually if someone’s low t and low free t then yes trt and the raised TT often ends up raising free t as well but in his case I wouldn’t be surprised it wouldn’t change much. Whoever he’s going to see soon will probably look more deeply into bloodworks, lifestyle and whatnot and will try several things before trt (as you mentionned) I don’t even think a good doctor (that’s not there for your money) would prescribe trt because someone has low free t. Highly doubt that
Most primary care physicians don't even test your free t or estrogen. The look at total t and if it's above 300 they send you on your way lol

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the feedback guys. I specifically asked my doctor to pull my total and free test, which is why I ended up with more detail. I'll keep boron in mind as a way to raise free test.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thanks for the feedback guys. I specifically asked my doctor to pull my total and free test, which is why I ended up with more detail. I'll keep boron in mind as a way to raise free test.
For natural ways to fix that boron is probably as good as it gets. And it's cheap. 2 bottles of 3mg pills will cost you between $4.00 and $25.00 usd depending on the brand. Worth a shot.

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
For natural ways to fix that boron is probably as good as it gets. And it's cheap. 2 bottles of 3mg pills will cost you between $4.00 and $25.00 usd depending on the brand. Worth a shot.
I'm going to get jacked lol

For real, I just snagged a bottle from amazon. $8 investment is well worth a shot.

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm going to get jacked lol

For real, I just snagged a bottle from amazon. $8 investment is well worth a shot.
Absolutely, 3mg in the morning and 3mg before bed, give it at least a month before testing again. If it hasn't raised your free t by the end of the second month then it's probably not going to. But 4 weeks of consistent dosing should be enough to see if it's rising or not

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like boron, but did not notice anything until taking 10-12mg, however, in my experience the king for increasing free test and lowering SHBG is tongkat ali. Nothing has come close to as effective for me.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I like boron, but did not notice anything until taking 10-12mg, however, in my experience the king for increasing free test and lowering SHBG is tongkat ali. Nothing has come close to as effective for me.
I've seen some protocols that use 10mg nolva per day to raise free testosterone on cycle, I don't have any experience or bloodwork to look at tho. Just throwing it out there. I'm gonna dive deeper into it when I get some time and see what I can find

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
Went to the urologist, it was pretty much pointless. He basically said my total T is too high and he can't recommend anything for me. I asked him if there was anything natural he could recommend and he said he knew of nothing. I asked him about boron and he had no clue what it was.

You guys in this forum have given me more to look into than my urologist did lol

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Went to the urologist, it was pretty much pointless. He basically said my total T is too high and he can't recommend anything for me. I asked him if there was anything natural he could recommend and he said he knew of nothing. I asked him about boron and he had no clue what it was.

You guys in this forum have given me more to look into than my urologist did lol
Welcome to the wonderful world of low T! The high majority of guys on TRT have been through what you’re going through now. I was given Androgel by my primary care Dr and sent on my way. No follow up blood work no talk about estrogen sides or anything else. I began reading posts on this forum and ended up going to a urologist. The urologist was no more help than my primary care Dr. I ended up going to an integrative medicine dr and the entire practice is well versed in hormone replacement among other things. Try to find an integrative medical practice in your area.

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the wonderful world of low T! The high majority of guys on TRT have been through what you’re going through now. I was given Androgel by my primary care Dr and sent on my way. No follow up blood work no talk about estrogen sides or anything else. I began reading posts on this forum and ended up going to a urologist. The urologist was no more help than my primary care Dr. I ended up going to an integrative medicine dr and the entire practice is well versed in hormone replacement among other things. Try to find an integrative medical practice in your area.
Funny part is I was warned about this process and the insurance criteria associated with it. I didn't want to go to some internet doctor, I wanted to do it the "right" way, but following the proper protocol hasn't provided anything.

I'm sure I could take my results to any TRT practice and get prescribed whatever I want. However, at this point it's not really impacting me enough to jump on for life. However, I might take your advice and search out and integrative medical practice just to hear what they have to say. I know there's got to be more than, "sorry I don't have anything for you" 😂😂

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You don’t need trt as already mentionned above. Find natural ways to raise your free test a little. Your TT is in a good healthy range.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You don’t need trt as already mentionned above. Find natural ways to raise your free test a little. Your TT is in a good healthy range.
I'm going to agree with this, there's a good possibility it can be fixed without going on trt. You should spend some serious time working on it and at least attempt to do it naturally before going hormone replacement route

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
More sleep or recovery time, some stress management, healthy fats and a boron supplement, 3-6mg 2x a day. That's a nice easy way to get started. And you can pick up a boron supplement for about $6

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
More sleep or recovery time, some stress management, healthy fats and a boron supplement, 3-6mg 2x a day. That's a nice easy way to get started. And you can pick up a boron supplement for about $6
Absolutely, I ordered it the day after you originally recommended it and have been taking it since.