Thinking of taking steroids. Should I and is it really harmful?

iconclast

Awards
I been training for 6 years now natural and still haven’t build much muscle. I’m in my late 20s and thinking of getting on steroids like Primobolan or Deca Durabolin. I really want to build but then cut it down. My hopes for building a body naturally is gone. There’s two sides to the steroids story some say is bad and others been taking it for years up into their 60s and their still strong and going. My question is, should I do it? I always wanted to build up.i would also want to ask what steroids would you guys recommend. If you want to know how I’m built now il post pics of me.

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, I have no experience with them, nor plan on it, but from the side effects I have heard and from people I know that have taken then, they would never truly be worth taking unless you plan on competing

iconclast

Awards
Honestly, I have no experience with them, nor plan on it, but from the side effects I have heard and from people I know that have taken then, they would never truly be worth taking unless you plan on competing
I do not plan on competing, but I want to build decent size. Naturally I’m not building it’s not coming in for me.

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
I do not plan on competing, but I want to build decent size. Naturally I’m not building it’s not coming in for me.
Is it that you are hitting plateaus on lifts or the growth isn't coming? You can always change up your training to hit your needs, but I understand the level steroid can bring you to that other things can't, j would just think about future, but again, talk to the really experienced people, in just saying what I know from steroid users

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
what do your calories look like?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I been training for 6 years now natural and still haven’t build much muscle. I’m in my late 20s and thinking of getting on steroids like Primobolan or Deca Durabolin. I really want to build but then cut it down. My hopes for building a body naturally is gone. There’s two sides to the steroids story some say is bad and others been taking it for years up into their 60s and their still strong and going. My question is, should I do it? I always wanted to build up.i would also want to ask what steroids would you guys recommend. If you want to know how I’m built now il post pics of me.
Have you tried any natural anabolics?

Basic Information Request
  • What is your age? 20...
  • Weight:
  • Body Fat %:
  • Programming: (What is your routine?)
  • TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure to maintain current weight) TDEE Link
I've got a few ideas, but what do you think is the reasoning for your lack of growth?

Have you taken supplements of any sort?
What does your diet look like?

iconclast

Awards
ATM my diet isn’t the best. I use to track macros. But don’t anymore. I’m 27, I’m 170 I don’t know my bf% but I’m at a point were I’m stuck. I always wanted to be muscular but I’m weak. And think I have **** genetics. Just feel like it’s never gonna happen for me with out the juice.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
ATM my diet isn’t the best. I use to track macros. But don’t anymore. I’m 27, I’m 170 I don’t know my bf% but I’m at a point were I’m stuck. I always wanted to be muscular but I’m weak. And think I have **** genetics. Just feel like it’s never gonna happen for me with out the juice.
Stats
Weight: 170
BF? You're going to have to give us a guesstimate: *10 ; *12 ; *15 ; 20 ; 25 ; 30
Use this link to estimate

Nobody's genetics are that bad.

If I had to guess, you trained too hard; did not rest enough; and ate much less than needed.
You need to study up on how things work. You would know your body fat percentage for instance and TDEE.
You don't have to break down the macros, just have a general idea. Take advantage of your young age and *metabolism.

I'm a big fan of a 3 on 1 off program

3 on 1 off

Day 1 : Chest/Arms

• Flat Barbell Bench 3x6-8
  • Incline Dumbbell Bench 3x6-8
  • Flat Dumbbell Flye 3x8-10
  • Dips 3x10-12
* Cable Crossover performed every 2nd-3rd session *

• Barbell Curl 3x6-8 / Lying French Press 3x6-8
  • Incline Dumbbell Curl 3x8-10 / Tricep Pressdown 3x10-12
  • Preacher Curl 3x8-10/ Overhead Extension 3x8-10
Workout Duration : Approximately 45-60 minutes

Day 2 : Legs/Calves

• Back Squats 3x6-8 (alternate with Front Squats)
  • Leg Press 3x8-10
  • Leg Extension 3x10-12
  • Romanian Deadlift 3x6-8
* Leg Curls performed every 2nd-3rd session *

• Calf Press 3x15-20
  • Standing Calf Raise 3x15-20
  • Seated Calf Raise 3x6-10
Workout Duration : Approximately 40-50 minutes

Day 3 : Back/Delts

• Barbell Row 3x6-8
  • Lat Pulldown 3x10-12
  • Cable Row 3x8-10
  • TBAR Row 3x6-8 (Dumbbell Row if heavy enough DB's)
* Shrugs performed every 2nd-3rd session *

• Military Press 3x6-8
  • Side Lateral / Rear Lateral 3x8-10
  • Upright Row 3x6-8
*Face Pulls performed @ end for shoulder health

Workout Duration : 45-60 minutes

You don't list any supplements used so I'm assuming you've not taken any.

• Creatine
  • Protein (Powder)
  • Pre Workout
  • Natural Anabolics (i.e., Follidrone 2.0)
I would not suggest delving into any synthetic anabolics as you can work smarter and make gains in 2-3 months without them.
This is my advice with the information you've given.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but have you had your natural test levels checked out?

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Come to the dark side..lol. I was 30 when I started. At 6'6, I weighed 225 at the time and probably had a max bench of of 250. I'm now 44 and have a 600+ bench and weigh 320. Run Test E at 500 a week, 250 twice a week for 16 to 20 weeks with a solid PCT (a real one, not that GNC crap). Eat your ass off (think chicken rice veggies 8 to 10 times a day) and train like a madman...limit your cardio to like 30 easy minutes 3 times a week. You should be able to pack on 20 to 30 pounds. Nothing to worry about, its not like your shooting dope. A lot of guys on here talk out of their ass and give advice with no first hand knowledge. This has been my life for 20 years. No worries, if you like some no BS advice, just ask. Its really not rocket science or as scary and complicated as many people make it.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely get baseline testosterone levels checked before ever touching anything though. Training for 6 years without any real progress means either a) your natural test levels could be low b) your training / eating regimen needs work (before ever touching gear)

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Competing has nothing to do with weather or not someone decides to use, they were not created for bodybuilding and if used intelligently the sides are minimal and easily controllable. That being said if someone has to ask weather or not there worth using they need to do a little more research. Also you said your diet isint that good. With or without steroids your diet is a major factor in building muscle

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Let's revisit planet earth for a moment.

27 year old has been exercising for 6 years and has built little muscle.
No. That's not true. You've been lifting something, but where I'm thinking is you have not really been dedicated in the gym or the kitchen.

Steroids, as noted in other posts will not magically change your approach or your results, only potentially cause you harm.
My suggestions above are solid and I would add, spend your money on a coach to give you the edge you need moving forward.

Summary

1. Fix your diet
2. Learn the importance of rest and recuperation
3. Focus on a program and a plan of action with realistic achievable results
4. Act on your plan
5. Log it (Here or privately) and the journal will help you look back where you began, and mark your milestones achieved
6. Read and become a student of physiology and exercise
7. Get a coach that deals in natural bodybuilding

When you succeed in your goals or on your journey.
Help someone else.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Let's revisit planet earth for a moment.

27 year old has been exercising for 6 years and has built little muscle.
No. That's not true. You've been lifting something, but where I'm thinking is you have not really been dedicated in the gym or the kitchen.

Steroids, as noted in other posts will not magically change your approach or your results, only potentially cause you harm.
My suggestions above are solid and I would add, spend your money on a coach to give you the edge you need moving forward.

Summary

1. Fix your diet
2. Learn the importance of rest and recuperation
3. Focus on a program and a plan of action with realistic achievable results
4. Act on your plan
5. Log it (Here or privately) and the journal will help you look back where you began, and mark your milestones achieved
6. Read and become a student of physiology and exercise
7. Get a coach that deals in natural bodybuilding

When you succeed
Help someone else.
Yep, there's a huge difference between training hard for 6 years or really any years then there is by just going to the gym. A few dedicated years of eating and training right will pack pounds of muscle on anyone

iconclast

Awards
Yep, there's a huge difference between training hard for 6 years or really any years then there is by just going to the gym. A few dedicated years of eating and training right will pack pounds of muscle on anyone
You saying like i didn’t put in any work. I went in put in work use to track macros but it just wasn’t coming in

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
OP - how long have you been lifting for? And how long have you been consistently lifting for?

There is and will always be two sides to this one - those who have used anabolics and loved them, and those who have never used them or used them and had a bad experience. The choice is ultimately up to you.

As others have mentioned, I would dig a little deeper and focus more on your diet and training, and keep in mind that with or without anabolics these gains don't just happen over night. I truly believe that you can build a strong and aesthetic physique without anabolics whether you have great genetics or trash genetics. Consistency is the driving factor for your success - consistent training, consistent nutrition, and consistent rest/recovery

AloB

AloB

Awards
To be Honest I'm not a fan of Supplements it's all down to good diet and motivation to take yourself from A To B if you have a goal set in your mind for example put on solid muscle you have to take your whole lifestyle into consideration..like what the guy above said these things don't happen over night look I'd prefer lean natural muscle mass over the Bulky Steroid look any day it varies by person really.

Natural gains are possible it just takes Time and Dedication to achieve this I hope you Choose Wisely , best of Look man.

DarkWarrior

Awards
if your dedicated to working out and have done your research etc, then I dont see why not. I plan to start in a couple years as well once I build my foundation.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Steroids or not..training and diet determine what your body looks like. Truth, gear will help you achieve your goals faster and build a body you could not build without them. That is truth...no matter what kind of body or what your goals are. Truth...if you abuse them, or do not know what you are doing, they can be dangerous. Many athletes use gear to achieve their goals and only a small percentage of them look like blocky body builders...lance Armstrong, sprinters, boxers, marathon runners, etc. It's all about how you train and your purpose for training. If you don't have a legitimate reason, don't use use them. If you just want to look good with your shirt off to pull more women, do more abs and cardio and make more money.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Eat more, then lift more, then eat even more and lift even more...
steroids or not you need to get your head around this.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
I would suggest looking into what most here stated in terms of training, nutrition and supplements if you want to add them. I’m 6’5 and began my journey as a basketball player, very little weightlifting. High school weighed 190. Freshman through Senior in college landed me at 240-260. Fluctuations through military and crap food and found a guy on my ship to train with and I gained even more weight topping at 315. Then life after college and military maxed at 365, almost solid. Now cutting through a long process leaving muscle and strength in tact @ 44. It’s a process. I gained it all between bad nutrition and focusing on the big three. Dead/Squat/Bench. You focus on the big three for a two to three year period, you’ll put on size without a problem. 3 days a week only, 3 lifts. Focus on 5x5. No worries you don’t have to believe me or do it. Bottom line My Bench isn’t 500 or 600+ but it’s 400 and I can hit it anytime regardless of any workout I done in that week. I can hit a 405 incline, on video. Yesterday I hit 245 in a Bench competition @ 44 Reps. Do I know my test levels, absolutely. Below 300. Do I care, hell no because it hasn’t affected me in the sense everyone believes. It all starts and ends in your mind. Do I look like your average 300+ powerlifter, no. I have more muscle than bf. Again I’ll put myself up against any lifter on anything. Why? I use nothing in terms of support, wraps, straps, belt, nothing. All raw. I’ve pulled 565, no straps or chalk. All raw power. It’s possible, as long as you research and dig deep every time you hit the gym. No worries, I’m sure this will not sink in. Good luck on your journey.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow! Below 300 testosterone levels and you are feeling OK? Interesting that you don’t have low T symptoms.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Wow! Below 300 testosterone levels and you are feeling OK? Interesting that you don’t have low T symptoms.
Feel great and no symptoms that I know or anyone says they have at that level. It’s all good.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ever listen to Ben pakulsky (not sure on spelling) on his podcast where he talks about trying to loose to be more fit and whatever he says his test levels are under 100 and he feels great.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Here for comments

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OP - TBH I've been using gear for years, but I don't use gear to bulk up much. More for cutting/recomping because I don't like losing muscle and cutting sucks. Bulking is easy comparatively. So if you're not able to bulk naturally, then something is wrong. Fix that first, before you end up relying on gear to bulk, which is a bad cycle to get into (can get addictive if you feel it's the only way - and at that point, you're screwed).

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
It is my opinion that if you've been lifting for 6 years and haven't gotten significantly.stronger you are lifting and eating wrong. Supplements wont fix that. Women get stronger when they lift, what are their test levels?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You're not eating or sleeping / resting / recuperating enough.
Negative on any steroids.

Pay for a coach / trainer and food for 6 months to a year and you will see.
You will find they go over nutrition and proper programming for you and your goals
based on your current status. You've gone 6 years without results.

You can wait one more year to see if you can do it right.
Good luck!

-M

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Give your body time to grow. I would wait until I ‘am 25 to try Gear.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Give your body time to grow. I would wait until I ‘am 25 to try Gear.
Getting bigger and stronger is food...gear or not...period. Well, traing your your ass off too...but thats a no brainer

Chevymetal

Chevymetal

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I'll give you some very simple advice based off experience:

Go download Bill Starr's 5 x 5 strength program and go all 9 weeks. Forget about any other workout program until you complete this.
Try to eat in reasonable excess, don't be afraid to gain a little fat.

Follow the program (be honest with it) and see if that doesn't break some plateaus for you.

Fasted

Awards
  • Established
I'll give you some very simple advice based off experience:

Go download Bill Starr's 5 x 5 strength program and go all 9 weeks. Forget about any other workout program until you complete this.
Try to eat in reasonable excess, don't be afraid to gain a little fat.

Follow the program (be honest with it) and see if that doesn't break some plateaus for you.
And if this doesnt give you gains(or even when it does:) find a higher rep/ volume hypertrophy program and see how your body responds to that.

Nutrex

Nutrex

Awards
Getting bigger and stronger is food...gear or not...period. Well, traing your your ass off too...but thats a no brainer
This. Food is key.

Darkheart

Darkheart

Awards
Definitely get baseline testosterone levels checked before ever touching anything though. Training for 6 years without any real progress means either a) your natural test levels could be low b) your training / eating regimen needs work (before ever touching gear)
This ️. I worked out like a madman for 5 years, 3 of those doing the 6 meals a day thing (which I still do) and gains came an ounce at a time. Went from 160lbs to 175 in that time, usually 4-5 gym sessions per week. Got my test levels checked last year and was 211 and 216, a month between tests. I've been on trt for 1 year this past January and I'm sitting at 198lbs, all my lifts went up and bf is about 11%. Friggin happy as hell with it.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If your not gaining weight then your not eating enough, plain and simple

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And I want it yesterday
Took me 20 years to get big...I was tall and skinny..now Im trying to get ripped. Getting ripped is a much faster process, as long as you have a solid foundation...but its not nearly as enjoyable.

swimfan65

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Took me 20 years to get big...I was tall and skinny..now Im trying to get ripped. Getting ripped is a much faster process, as long as you have a solid foundation...but its not nearly as enjoyable.
Cardio used to be all the reps after 10.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
OP, what do you consider big and strong?

How tall are you at 170lbs and bodyfat?

Are you atleast lifting 300/400/500 bench/squat/deadlift?

If not you still have a ton of room for improvement as a natural.

Get your hormones checked for peace at mind if you suspect low T.

Once you start playing with steroids keep in mind that you may not be able to come off. Not everyones HPTA recovers. Ask yourself if you're okay with the idea of jabbing yourself the rest of your life

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

This is a fact. Miserable but it happens much faster.

I’ve read a lot of this thread. A lot of guys have given great pointers. To me it seems like you (op) lost your momentum with tracking your calories. Being natural and building muscle is entirely possible, but it takes longer and it is unforgiving. You have no margin of error. Your macros need to be on point, no skipping meals, can’t cheat as much if at all, etc. training wise you need intensity and progressive overload. On juice both of these things are important, but there is more margin for error. You can slack a little and it will still work. But the key thing to remember, drugs or not: FOOD IS THE CHIEF ANABOLIC.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is a fact. Miserable but it happens much faster.

I’ve read a lot of this thread. A lot of guys have given great pointers. To me it seems like you (op) lost your momentum with tracking your calories. Being natural and building muscle is entirely possible, but it takes longer and it is unforgiving. You have no margin of error. Your macros need to be on point, no skipping meals, can’t cheat as much if at all, etc. training wise you need intensity and progressive overload. On juice both of these things are important, but there is more margin for error. You can slack a little and it will still work. But the key thing to remember, drugs or not: FOOD IS THE CHIEF ANABOLIC.
More room for error then a Matty but if you want max gains from cycles there's still no room for error. There's a ton of guys that look 100% natty on gear. Those guys just take gear for a extra 10 lbs that they gain and lose between cycles forever. Then you get the guys that don't miss meals, don't miss training sessions and get there sleep and those guys continue to grow.

To the op, be honest with your self. In the past 2 months how many days went by where you missed a meal or training session. Say you only missed 2 meals a week, that's 16 meals missed in the last 2 months, if each meal was 500 calories. That's 8,000 calories you missed in the past 8 weeks. Ppl don't think about stuff like this.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think you answered your own question. If you dont plan on competing , no.

too many guys in the gym use way more than I do, im friends with them, and they dont even compete. I know bc im friends with them and we talk about it. I m scared some of them have health issues already and dont get their blood-work.

how is your training, nutrition ad sleep, as these are the main issues

mastah

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Not been reading full thread but... please dont start taking steroids. WHEN you have to stop you will have no joy of training anymore since the results will not be there. I would only take steroids if I saw I had good genetics and was going to compete. Learn to eat better train harder and smarter instead, that alone will give you better results then you got now

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sides aren’t bad if you are smart about it and one good cycle can give massive changes. It’s like alcohol. Heavy drinking on a vacation won’t hurt you. Doing for years and years might. 500mgs of test for 10 weeks with an ai on hand just in case and and some clinics or nolvadex for pct. no need to get fancy. After that concentrate on keeping gains and don’t mess with anything for awhile. Since health is a concern I would stay off for at least a year and learn to maximize natural gains. You should be able to keep at least 15lbs of the first run.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also I should of posted research and learn on your own. Some random guy on a forum should t decide for you. Once you have researched it make an educated decision for yourself if it’s worth it. I mean you could be unlucky and get arrested for it. Was always my biggest concern.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not been reading full thread but... please dont start taking steroids. WHEN you have to stop you will have no joy of training anymore since the results will not be there. I would only take steroids if I saw I had good genetics and was going to compete. Learn to eat better train harder and smarter instead, that alone will give you better results then you got now
This is a smart answer.

With that said, I use them, but tbh I only started using them after I started TRT and didn't have to worry about PCT/coming off completely, or fertility. I've definitely had my moments where I didn't want to (and didn't) come off after an appropriate time, so now I no longer use large amounts of multiple compounds anymore.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
For me it’s this: do you want to look like a guy who uses steroids?

Meaning: are your goals only reachable for any human by means of steroid use?

If yes, then the answer is clear. If no, then cowboy up.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
at my age I use them therapeutically for recovery. There comes a point that you either realize they can help you reach your goals, or blow them away, but they CAN NOT replace hard work. You have to be willing to put in the time to get anything out of them. there are tons of dudebros on gear at your gym who you would never know they were using. they dont put in the work and dont grow... conversly there is the other crowd who use them to loose fat and help them reach their fat loss goals. they dont look all that different from anyone else either. Just know there are far more lab rats running around you than you'd like to wager. So dont feel bad with what ever descision you make, there will be plenty of people to support either way.