Thinking about moving, suggestions? (Rant)

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Ok no gun law debates last time we had one with some one claiming to be Australian people got banned and nasty conversation took place.
I personally believe the guy was a troll who was only interested in talking garbage but why risk it.

AnabolicTexan

Awards
Moving?

I would seriously consider the Carolinas (as someone else said). I lived in Raleigh for 10 years and loved it there. Especially good if you are a college sports fan. There are a number of great smaller cities there like Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville SC, Columbia SC... etc. Close to the beaches and also the mountains and would establish just enough distance from TN. That's my .02.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I would seriously consider the Carolinas (as someone else said). I lived in Raleigh for 10 years and loved it there. Especially good if you are a college sports fan. There are a number of great smaller cities there like Raleigh, Charlotte, Greenville SC, Columbia SC... etc. Close to the beaches and also the mountains and would establish just enough distance from TN. That's my .02.
I spent a lot of my childhood in North Carolina. I've lived in Asheboro, Hickory, Greensboro and Mount Airy.

I would highly consider moving back to North Carolina, but I don't think I'd consider South Carolina.

I actually drove down to Georgia last night just riding around, thinking about moving down there, but I probably won't.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
San Diego California. Best place on earth
I concur. I've been to SD a bunch of times, and everytime I swear I'm going to move there. New England is the boring armpit of America though so maybe that's part of the reason I like it so much. There's no shortage of things to do in SD, amd the women, oh man the women. Did I mention the women?

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was stationed in Camp Pendleton while I was in the Marine Corp. I'm not sure if much has changed or not since then but man that was a wild place back when I was there.

I'm not sure I could re-adapt to the lifestyle and timezone. For example, most of my family lives in Tennessee/Georgia/Ohio so it would be difficult predicting good times to get in touch with them, living on the other side of the country from my family, etc.

I'm trying to live life a little slower, I think California would speed it up a notch lol.
My wife is a former Marine as well, in the corps. for 5 years at Pendleton, but she agrees with me and would move back there in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
My wife is a former Marine as well, in the corps. for 5 years at Pendleton, but she agrees with me and would move back there in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.
We probably just like different areas. I live in a secluded house that is built like a log cabin from inside/out. When I look in my front yard, I see miles and miles of farmland i.e. cows, horses, flat land, straight two lane highways, etc. but when I look behind my house I see mostly hills. At the same time, I can drive 15 miles and see red lights, malls, hotels, restaurants, shopping centers, gas stations, car dealerships, etc. That's my preference. California is just way too fast paced for me. I'd prefer to live in the same type of area, but be a little closer to the beach is all.

Plus, there's not much to do in San Diego for an outdoorsman. I love to hunt, fish, go hiking, camping.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I understand that. We're in rural Vermont, we live on a mountain, hence my screen name. My wife and I both grew up in small towns and in houses off the beaten path. This is of my back deck:

ForumRunner_20140123_193625.png

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I understand that. We're in rural Vermont, we live on a mountain, hence my screen name. My wife and I both grew up in small towns and in houses off the beaten path. This is of my back deck:

View attachment 95686
That's a beautiful view you have there man. Just plain beautiful. Do you have trouble in the summertime with bears?

I think I've come to a solution to try either Colorado, Florida, Montana or Minnesota. I'm going to visit each place this summer and make a decision from there. I'd like to be wherever I decide by the time I'm 30 (I'm 28 now).

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, black bear population is growing in our area. Had one last summer plop down next to my garage and start eating my kids diapers right out of the trash can. Nasty. We have a growing population of bobcats too. Been taking small live stock lately. Supposedly people have been seeing catamounts again. Needless to say we carry firearms a lot.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kind of hard to see but this is diaper eating bear:

ForumRunner_20140124_125609.png

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why are you unsure about the west coast?
Maybe because he likes his freedom and liberty too much???

How about Asheville, NC? - I love it there, and it has the mountains you're used to.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Black bear are one of my favorite animals to hunt. I would have your diaper bear mounted or a rug before no time if I lived there. I've killed 8 (6 with bow, 2 with rifle) since I started hunting. I think the biggest bear I've ever seen before was either in Ohio or West Virginia. The biggest one I've ever harvested was in Greenbrier County, West Virginia in 2011.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Smog isnt bad at all. The traffic and people kind of suck the cost of living blows, the weather is its saving grace. I mean 80 in Jan?! there are very few places on this side of the hemisphere that can unlock that achievement.