The NCAA Basketball March “Madness”- The Most Overrated Post-Season in All Of Sports

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
March Madness Has Lost Its Swag

View attachment 54652

Full Discussion:
The NCAA Basketball Tournament / March “Madness”- The Most Overrated Post-Season Format In All Of Sports. | Good Looking Loser

The NCAA Basketball Tournament is by and large considered a great, if not the greatest, post-season format in all of sports. People point to is as an example when complaining about the college football bowl system. The President of the United States fills out a bracket every year, as do people at every office I’ve ever worked in. It has a catchy name, “March Madness”, and everyone knows what that means. We hear complaints about the BCS constantly, but nobody ever complains about the NCAA Tournament format. My question is, why? Is the NCAA Tournament really a great post-season format? As explained below, I don’t think it is.

Let me start by saying that, like a lot of people, I think the first weekend of the tournament is probably the best weekend in sports. People have said the opening Thursday and Friday are the least productive work days all year. I believe it. Not only do I sit in my office watching games from noon on, but I usually spent hours the previous day contemplating certain games/scenarios and filling out my bracket. I also make calls at work to friends to talk about matchups and games, instead of work. Perhaps I’m not the best employee, but I think that’s somewhat normal. It’s a great two days, and it’s impossible for any sports fan to ignore.

How much is that really worth though– a bunch on non-serious college basketball fans paying attention for four days? Does that justify all of the negatives discussed below? In my humble opinion, it does not.

Full Discussion Continued Here-
The NCAA Basketball Tournament / March “Madness”- The Most Overrated Post-Season Format In All Of Sports. | Good Looking Loser

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some good points made, but how many sports crown a "true" champion? Baseball is one of the worst, the best team infrequently wins. The biggest argument against the tournament is what it does to the regular season. For the most part people don't watch as close because the difference between a 3 and 4 seed is not that big. The "pressure" of a loss isn't there like in college football.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Comparing basketball to football is stupid. You can't play thirty games of football in a season. And watching kids play their hearts out because every tournament game is a game 7 final is nothing but perfection.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Comparing basketball to football is stupid. You can't play thirty games of football in a season. And watching kids play their hearts out because every tournament game is a game 7 final is nothing but perfection.
Agreed. I LOVE college football, but it can't match the intensity over 3 weeks that the tournament produces.

Personally, I'll miss 2/3 of the bowl games because they're not interesting. I won't miss 90% of the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed. I LOVE college football, but it can't match the intensity over 3 weeks that the tournament produces.

Personally, I'll miss 2/3 of the bowl games because they're not interesting. I won't miss 90% of the NCAA Basketball Tournament.
This is true, but for me at least football is the opposite. I won't miss a key regular season 1 vs. 5 game for the life of me, but any college basketball game is missable because it isn't like Kentucky isn't making the tournament if they lose. The regular season in college football is usually akin to a tournament as many teams are eliminated with one loss (from the title picture)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
thank you guys for contributing... all your thoughts/point were raised to the author!