The Clean - can't get it

jbatts77

jbatts77

Awards
I've been working with a CrossFit trainer (I know, I know... but I'm trying to get my endurance back) and I just can't seem to understand the clean movement.
I can get the weight up and land in the right spot, but it just doesn't feel natural to me. Like the whole come up on your toes as you shrug thing; and the make it a swinging motion as opposed to a reverse curl.

Anybody struggle with getting this movement right? Any pointers?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You almost need a book to just go over all the possible ways to explain this, it’s going to be tough without more info on your specific issues with the movement.

In general making it simpler and breaking it into “pieces” based on what is limiting you is where you start. Figure out what is your limiting factor.

Can help more if given more info.

jbatts77

jbatts77

Awards
You almost need a book to just go over all the possible ways to explain this, it’s going to be tough without more info on your specific issues with the movement.

In general making it simpler and breaking it into “pieces” based on what is limiting you is where you start. Figure out what is your limiting factor.

Can help more if given more info.
I just can't grasp what I'm trying to achieve with the movement, so I'm not doing it right. I mean I get the weight where it needs to be, but I'm apparently not pulling it right (shrugging it) and then transitioning to where it sits on my shoulders.
If I understood the point I might be able to get the movement right naturally. I have a really strong reverse curl so that's likely part of the problem.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'll be honest it is hard to tell just with words. The whole thing is really just about being in the proper positions and leverages to accelerate the bar from the floor into the highest vertical position you can to catch it and that can take many slightly various different forms depending on the individual. It is way more about the legs and hips than the arms and pulling of the bar.

Don't get too discouraged though, weightlifting can be insanely hard and take years to perfect.