Tall guy training for size

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Had to take a few months off for school. Regretting it now because it was a time management thing and I could have kept training, just haven’t been in school in years and didn’t want to take a risk.

I’m 6’3
Over the year I seem to respond better to higher reps. On the high end of hypertrophy range. Ex: a set of 5 latpulls does nothing for growth... I do one nonetheless during my 4 sets to increase my strength, but my money shot lies about 12-15 reps, pumps and gains.

I’ve had some results with DC training.
5x5 intrigues me but I don’t feel I’ve seen as much sheer muscle gain there. I’m willing to try again though.

I just want the most size I can get. I stuck to compounds of course, especially first thing.

Any split recommends?

As of now:
Chest/Tris
Back/Bis
Legs
Off
Shoulders/Arms

Open to something different if you are lanky and have seen results with anything over the years. Split/Reps/Sets - much appreciated.

TinyGiant

Awards
Hey. I’m 6’ 6” and I’ve grown mainly doing my own power building/bodybuilding programming. But I’ve recently started doing John Meadows programs and I am loving them. I’ve done Creeping Death 1, Creeping Death 2, and Gamma Bomb. I am currently doing Project Colossus right now and like it pretty well so far.

I have Aaron Reeds Low Volume program 1 but haven’t tried it. He’s around 6’ 7”.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m 6’2 and feel like I do better in that 12-15 range as well. That said, I progressively add weight almost every workout, so my reps gradually come down as I add weight. Once I get below 8 reps, I keep the weight the same. If I can’t get the reps up in another workout or two, I take some weight off and work back into that 15ish range and start adding weight and working the rep range back down again.

I personally like full body workouts always felt like I’ve gotten my best results with them. As for 5x5, I did that for a while years ago. I liked it, good for strength and conditioning but I didn’t add size with that. It’s good for having that lean, angular, athletic build.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
No matter how I slice it, I always seem to grow best at about one rep short of overuse injury.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im 6ft2

training varies, sometimes ill do lower reps in the 6-8 range , sometimes higher like 10-12

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you guys as always. I recall looking over Aaron Reeds stuff. I like his approach, other than advertising a natural status. Silence is preferred imo.
I sub’d his YouTube stuff and I’ve wanted to pay for JM’s stuff for a while. Now over 40, maybe his approach would work well too. I started back with a lot more Deads this time around overall better ROM.
Again, I appreciate you all.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The number one thing I’ve found that keeps me growing and not hurting my shoulders EVERY SINGLE TIME I TRAIN CHEST.... Or elbows when doing back or curling...

Avoid the areas within the ROM which cause excessive joint stress, the bottom and top of the bench press, the bottom of a Curl, etc. no need to lockout.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
All I get from doing full ROM is more pain.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think your split looks good. Why did you stop DC training? Were you following the diet and doing the stretching?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Having long limbs can be quite the issue but I still have great results within the power and strength rep range. If lat pull downs aren’t giving you what you need, try weighted pull-ups and vary the eccentric. Tempo induces stress like no other. Johns programs are amazing but to gain that size training in strength and hyper trophy will give the best results.

I’m 6’3 without shoes and believe me, if your eating and sleeping right the mass will come. I couldn’t believe the weight I got up to this winter.