Taking this weight loss seriously

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Went out for a 35-40min walk after work around the neighborhood since the gym was closed for the quarantine. Took my second dose of GW. Gonna do some home workouts on the same schedule as the StrongLifts program (M/W/F) until the gym opens back up and will post them in here as well.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys use to calculate your calories? I want to make sure I’m keeping this train going and I’m staying on track with my weight loss.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You got something like this right?

Otherwise, you can just read the labels and account for the macros.
Protein / Carbs / Fat

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
You got something like this right?

Otherwise, you can just read the labels and account for the macros.
Protein / Carbs / Fat
Thanks for the link. Figured it out and I’ll get back on it.

Would a Dexa scan be too much as far as figuring out body composition and what I need to do for the future?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the link. Figured it out and I’ll get back on it.

Would a Dexa scan be too much as far as figuring out body composition and what I need to do for the future?
You're very welcome!
The mirror is your best friend. Body composition etc. / scales. Calipers are fine for now.
As long as you have a handle on your macros, and are eating below maintenance, you'll lose weight.

Working out is icing on the cake to build muscle and kick up your hormones like Testosterone. They will only help you achieve your goals because honestly we're all in a certain way or forgive my term dimension; slaves to our hormones as well as habits.

Eat well
Sleep better
Lose fat gain muscle

Repeat the process.

All my best,
M

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
You're very welcome!
The mirror is your best friend. Body composition etc. / scales. Calipers are fine for now.
As long as you have a handle on your macros, and are eating below maintenance, you'll lose weight.

Working out is icing on the cake to build muscle and kick up your hormones like Testosterone. They will only help you achieve your goals because honestly we're all in a certain way or forgive my term dimension; slaves to our hormones as well as habits.

Eat well
Sleep better
Lose fat gain muscle

Repeat the process.

All my best,
M
Thanks man. I’ll definitely keep on it and I need to get stocked up on some food tonight to help me hit all my macros.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What do you guys use to calculate your calories? I want to make sure I’m keeping this train going and I’m staying on track with my weight loss.
I mean if you already are tracking and losing weight you don't need to use anything again to re-calculate. You just adjust if you stall.

Equations to determine your calories are just a starting point they aren't going to be perfect anyways.

Unless you mean how to track them as in the daily amounts you are eating. There are tons of resources out there for that.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I mean if you already are tracking and losing weight you don't need to use anything again to re-calculate. You just adjust if you stall.

Equations to determine your calories are just a starting point they aren't going to be perfect anyways.

Unless you mean how to track them as in the daily amounts you are eating. There are tons of resources out there for that.
Nah I meant more for calorie base and then I plug that number into MyFitnessPal doing a C40/F30/P30 split.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nah I meant more for calorie base and then I plug that number into MyFitnessPal doing a C40/F30/P30 split.
Like an application such as "LoseIt"?

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess? I’ve never used LoseIt. I’ll look into.
It's a good application.
My company gives us a membership but it's worth it. Even the free version.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
It's a good application.
My company gives us a membership but it's worth it. Even the free version.
Yeah I like the user interface and the fact that it goes off steps instead of just guessing. That’s the one gripe I had with MyFitnessPal was in the beginning was what my activity level was based off the amount of steps I took at work.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I like the user interface and the fact that it goes off steps instead of just guessing. That’s the one gripe I had with MyFitnessPal was in the beginning was what my activity level was based off the amount of steps I took at work.
I mean calories burned with activity generated by most of these things is way off anyways and I'd never adjust my calories daily based on an activity tracker.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I mean calories burned with activity generated by most of these things is way off anyways and I'd never adjust my calories daily based on an activity tracker.
How do you go about finding your calories for maintenance?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's a formula based on weight / height / age / and activity level but it's not exactly accurate.
That page I sent you to gives you an idea and even a breakdown of maintaining / cutting / bulking.

Here's mine.

Now introduce the exogenous 'supplements' into the mix and one could reduce caloric intake while maintaining and growing muscle at the same time. At least keep muscle loss to a standoff. The quality of foods you eat.

What kind of carbs?
What kinds of proteins? (Fast digesting / Slow digesting) and when?
Fats. Bacon. The only kind of fat. j/k. No, really. Bacon is sooooo bad / good.

Cut calories 500 daily and you will lose weight without killing yourself in the gym.
Now add in better programming, and best timing of when you eat what to maximize and you get you some muscles and over time this amazing thing called a metabolic rate. I'm 55. I don't remember what that is, and I'm trying to remind my body.

Don't go into analysis paralysis, but do become a student of foods, and there are some real foodie rocket scientists on here who know their way around the calories.

Maybe explore IF (Intermittent Fasting)

Last edited:
MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
It's a formula based on weight / height / age / and activity level but it's not exactly accurate.
That page I sent you to gives you an idea and even a breakdown of maintaining / cutting / bulking.

Here's mine.
View attachment 192276

View attachment 192275

Now introduce the exogenous 'supplements' into the mix and one could reduce caloric intake while maintaining and growing muscle at the same time. At least keep muscle loss to a standoff. The quality of foods you eat.

What kind of carbs?
What kinds of proteins? (Fast digesting / Slow digesting) and when?
Fats. Bacon. The only kind of fat. j/k. No, really. Bacon is sooooo bad / good.

Cut calories 500 daily and you will lose weight without killing yourself in the gym.
Now add in better programming, and best timing of when you eat what to maximize and you get you some muscles and over time this amazing thing called a metabolic rate. I'm 55. I don't remember what that is, and I'm trying to remind my body.

Don't go into analysis paralysis, but do become a student of foods, and there are some real foodie rocket scientists on here who know their way around the calories.

Maybe explore IF (Intermittent Fasting)
I’m sorry I completely forgot about this calculator. Haha.

I kind of implement IF on days I work out as I don’t eat until 10-11am and I try to cut off eating around 8pm. On non workout days I have a harder time, but I can manage until 10:30am usually.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
This is closest to what I use.

But again that is just the start and honestly I haven't calculated my macros in forever. I eat and if I want to gain I eat more, if I want to lose I eat less, if for whatever goal I am not moving in that direction I just adjust things up or down.
I gotcha. During this quarantine I don’t know if it’s just me, but I’ve been craving junk food even though I know I need to lose the weight.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You can use a calculator or whatever - but here is the bottom line: the calories you burned can best be determined by the calories you take in vs. your weight.

Track everything you eat for a week. Weigh yourself every day so that you can at least be sure you don't have an unusual reading. Compare the calories you took in for the week vs. what your weight did over that week.

If you are exactly the same weight, you ate at maintanence. For every pound above your starting weight, you ate 3,500 calories/day on average above your maintenance. For every pound below, you ate 3,500 calories/day below.

Now, even this is not 100% accurate and the longer you spread this out (2 weeks, a month, a year) the more dialed in you could possibly get with it. But between that method and a calculator you can usually come up with an estimate pretty quickly and double check it yourself.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
You can use a calculator or whatever - but here is the bottom line: the calories you burned can best be determined by the calories you take in vs. your weight.

Track everything you eat for a week. Weigh yourself every day so that you can at least be sure you don't have an unusual reading. Compare the calories you took in for the week vs. what your weight did over that week.

If you are exactly the same weight, you ate at maintanence. For every pound above your starting weight, you ate 3,500 calories/day on average above your maintenance. For every pound below, you ate 3,500 calories/day below.

Now, even this is not 100% accurate and the longer you spread this out (2 weeks, a month, a year) the more dialed in you could possibly get with it. But between that method and a calculator you can usually come up with an estimate pretty quickly and double check it yourself.
I gotcha. I’m still trying to work with a calorie budget and make sure that I allow enough calories for each meal without feeling starved at the end of the day.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
My workout for today was

-Banded squats w/ orange Elitefts band: 3x10
-Dumbbell Push Press (25lbs) 3x12
-Dumbbell bent over row (neutral grip) 3x10
-Dumbbell Front Raises (15lb) 3x10
-Dumbbell Split squat (10lb) 2x10
-Dumbbell RDL (25lb) 3x10
-Banded Seated Row w/ orange Elitefts band 3x10

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I gotcha. I’m still trying to work with a calorie budget and make sure that I allow enough calories for each meal without feeling starved at the end of the day.
A lot of the feeling starved has less to do with calories and more to do with food choices. You will get a lot more full eating 1800 calories with of broccoli and chicken than you will eating 1800 calories worth of twinkies and ho-ho's (just as two extreme examples). Even a lot of the foods that people love to hype as "healthy" are diet breakers - peanut butter being a prime example. Yeah, it can be healthy in moderation but in moderation it does nothing for satiety and can easily get out of hand and provide loads of calories.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
A lot of the feeling starved has less to do with calories and more to do with food choices. You will get a lot more full eating 1800 calories with of broccoli and chicken than you will eating 1800 calories worth of twinkies and ho-ho's (just as two extreme examples). Even a lot of the foods that people love to hype as "healthy" are diet breakers - peanut butter being a prime example. Yeah, it can be healthy in moderation but in moderation it does nothing for satiety and can easily get out of hand and provide loads of calories.
I’ll have to look at my older posts about foods to eat that will keep me satiated.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Forgot to take my GW dose last night, but I did some thinking last night about adding in sit-thru’s along with adding in more intense cardio on my non lifting days alongside upping my core workout.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
I fell off the wagon during this whole quarantine of posting everyday, but I’m back.

Things have gotten better as far as I’m down to ~214.6lbs after the morning with no food and been told by people I’m looking thinner and arms are a bit more defined.

Currently doing Hybrid at Home by Hybrid Performance Method and it’s really kicking my @$$.

Done with GW cycle and going to take a break. Then I’m going to gather up some more GW along with Ostarine, Rad-140 and S-4 for a serious cutting stack for after quarantine.
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG