T1 diabetes

vladimirb68

Awards
My 8 year old son just got diagnosed with T1D. I know that blood glucose testing and insulin are now a part of our lives for the foreseeable future. Just wanted to know if there are nutritional strategies, supplement, exercise recommendations, or any other things that have shown promise in improving blood sugar management and reducing long term complication risks. Thanks for any help and advice

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
T1 parent here.

nutritional strategies: find an app that provides carb count, counting carbs is also a daily adventure. learn how to determine carb count via portion size. This needs to be experienced to be perfected

supplement: there are some but no doctor will recommend this approach

exercise recommendations: none specific,

or any other things that have shown promise in improving blood sugar management: Dexcom, pump, there are many new tech ways to explore for both continuous monitoring and administration of insulin. There is also a facebook group "parents of type 1 diabetics" which provides T1 specific experiences, information to questions and support.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have T1. I second the dexcom/CGM because even with carb counting you'll get thrown off by where your insulin sensitivity is on a given day. For instance on a lazy day even a cup of coffee might drive me from 85 to 135 which is nbd but that's JUST from coffee with no sugar. On the other hand, on a busy day, i can have a whole bagel and be fine.

2nd thing is a 24 hour approach to insulin. For most this means a pump. If a pump isn't the best option, ask about Tresiba. It's a 24 hour long acting insulin but it's relatively new and occasionally causes diarrhea in some people. If they won't give you Tresiba and again a pump isn't the best ask about doing a long acting insulin 2x per day. They'll probably want to give you Lantus which works well but feels like a bee sting so if that's a problem you can see if they'll switch it to Levemir. Levemir 2x per day is what works best for me but everyone's different.

Once the insulin regimen is nailed down, appetite will improve and low BG events should be minimized but keep those glucose tabs around just in case!

On a personal level, it reaaally sucks at first. You eat something you normally like and your CGM starts yelling at you for high blood sugar. Your sugar gets low and it starts beeping at you again and even once you've eaten something it's gonna keep beeping for a while. If you do a pump, you're probably going to get insulin on your hands and it will smell. I'm not ashamed to admit the stress of it has had me an emotional mess at times and I can only imagine how it will affect a young girl. It's going to suck sometimes and you just have to be ready for it to suck but once you get it all figured out she's going to feel soooooo much better.

PM me if you need me.