Sweet Potato Fries/Wedges Help

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do you all cook them? Every way I've tried so far in the oven they come out kind of hard I guess you could say. Anybody have any good tricks? Soaking in water? I don't know

Responses are appreciated..I need something to devour my whole rotisserie chicken with..oven baked sweet potato wedges would do the trick.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I bet The Solution knows.

Drock1234

Awards
I would brush them with a little bit of olive oil/garlic salt but not necessary. Depending how big you cut the wedges you need to cook them for a good amount of time.

You need a temperature of at least 400 for 30 minutes. How many slices are you getting out of 1 potato?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would brush them with a little bit of olive oil/garlic salt but not necessary. Depending how big you cut the wedges you need to cook them for a good amount of time.

You need a temperature of at least 400 for 30 minutes. How many slices are you getting out of 1 potato?
Maybe I didn't cook them long enough. I did the oil on them too. Maybe 6 slices? I'll try thinner slices I suppose.

Drock1234

Awards
Def try smaller pieces to cook faster. When I bake medium to large whole sweet potatoes I usually do 45 min @ 450F

So 6 slices I'd try 415 for ~30. And turn them once halfway through. Let us know when find the right combo.

grumblecakes

Awards
1) Cut them into eighths lengthwise.
2) Toss with whatever seasoning you prefer - I typically do some olive oil, sea salt, cinnamon
3) Put them on a shallow roasting pan or tray with an edge.
4) Set oven to broil - typically ~450
5) They cook in 20-30min - at 15min I typically pull them out and test the center of the largest one with a fork, if its soft then all are good to go. You can do as many potatoes at once this way and not have to adjust the cook time much - just gotta flip them all around a bit.

I cook them this way all the time... it just takes too long any other way.

Advice:
If you do a whole potato, microwave it for about 2min then bake/grill - the microwave will soften it up enough in the center and will drastically cut down cooking time.
If you wrap in foil, expect baking/grilling to take well over 45min - aluminum heats up to only a certain level so it ends up creating almost a miniature oven within the oven and gradually heats the potato and traps in moisture. This results in a softer, moister potato, but too damn long to cook IMO.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
awesome man thank you. just in time since I bought sweet potatoes today

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
For bigger pieces, cook them longer and at a lower temp (say 300 degrees)
Cooking using the lower burner works best for me.
I would cut them into wedges, put whatever seasoning you want on and make sure they have some oil in this mix - so they don't stick.
Covering them with tin foil will allow them to create moisture and cause an internal boiling effect which will get them to that soft state your looking for. Use a fork to determine when they are soft (and about 3/4 cooked).
Once they are soft, remove the tin foil and then switch to low broiler which will dry up the external moisture and make them golden brown.
Flip them after about 10 minutes. You may have to leave in a little longer - until you get the golden finish.
This is from years of trial and error! Enjoy!

u393367

u393367

Awards
1) Cut them into eighths lengthwise.
2) Toss with whatever seasoning you prefer - I typically do some olive oil, sea salt, cinnamon
3) Put them on a shallow roasting pan or tray with an edge.
4) Set oven to broil - typically ~450
5) They cook in 20-30min - at 15min I typically pull them out and test the center of the largest one with a fork, if its soft then all are good to go. You can do as many potatoes at once this way and not have to adjust the cook time much - just gotta flip them all around a bit.

I cook them this way all the time... it just takes too long any other way.

Advice:
If you do a whole potato, microwave it for about 2min then bake/grill - the microwave will soften it up enough in the center and will drastically cut down cooking time.
If you wrap in foil, expect baking/grilling to take well over 45min - aluminum heats up to only a certain level so it ends up creating almost a miniature oven within the oven and gradually heats the potato and traps in moisture. This results in a softer, moister potato, but too damn long to cook IMO.
I recently purchased an as seen on tv French Fry press for around $10, and it works great for easily making the fries for doing the 450 degree broil. The olive or grapeseed oil is needed to trap in the moisture on the high heat, so it'll be protected for the length of cooking at this temp; crispy on outside but tender in the middle. Pan tossing over medium heat is good here also for a quicker version; coating in oil and letting the food cook for about 5 minutes on 1 side until golden brown, and then pan tossing is the way Ive been doing it.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
just to toss my hat in the ring, I like to take my fries after baking and toss em on the foreman grill for a few min to crisp them up. Also I find placing them on a cooling rack while in the oven helps to cook evenly.

missesmonique

missesmonique

Awards
made some the other day, they were soooo good

CaptForest

CaptForest

Awards
yeah i have tried before to cook them. came out terrible. I did not follow a recipe though might give it another shot in the future lol

David Lees

David Lees

Awards
You have to cut them nice and thin, place on a baking sheet and drizzle with EVOO, sea salt and pepper...cinnamon goes well too. Bake them in the oven at 425 until done.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I never use Oil.

Grab a baking sheet and use aluminum foil to top it
Spray with cooking spray

Dice up fries nice and thin and then sprikle cinnamon + splenda

425 for 10 minutes
Flip
Add more cinnamon/splenda
10 more minutes

come out great:

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I never use Oil.

Grab a baking sheet and use aluminum foil to top it
Spray with cooking spray

Dice up fries nice and thin and then sprikle cinnamon + splenda

425 for 10 minutes
Flip
Add more cinnamon/splenda
10 more minutes

come out great:

Damn man, your sh*t never ceases to amaze me! Good work

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
I just use some coconut oil and shallow pan fry em. Its a great way to get some good ol' MCTs in there. Once theyre crispy i take em out-pat em down, then toss a little bit of tonys all over em!

its the way of the gods

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tony Chachere's -only the greatest, most useful seasoning available on the market today!
This is a staple in my house! Love it!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Never heard of it?
What kind of a spice? Like garlic salt ? Regular salt ?

Where do you buy it?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
beat me to it!! i didnt know yall had it in the heart of it all? my wifes from lancaster and she said she had never had it till she got with me lol
Lived in Houston for 13 years. My son lives there and he sends me my "fix". Lol

boomer411

Awards
Wow, that looks amazing, I'm going to have to try these. Gotta be better than potato fries for sure!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 3
Nutrition / Health 6
tank316 Recipes 2
Recipes 20
will175 Nutrition / Health 8