Surely the new "male contraceptive" which is being touted this week will require PCT?

conkertheking

Awards
  • Established
Surely the new "male contraceptive" which is being touted this week will require PCT?

Thought I'd post this here since it's most closely related to anabolics:

This week, there have been a flurry of articles talking about how a hormonal contraceptive pill for men has passed a significant milestone in safety trials. This pill is, apparently, a combination of progesterone - to suppress LH and FSH levels - and testosterone, to compensate for the HPTA shutdown caused by lowered LH and FSH levels. The idea is that this will shut down sperm production, while the testosterone will ensure that there are no side effects from the lowered endogenous production of testosterone.

All of the articles talk about this pill as reversible and safe, but surely this can't be the case? Everything I *thought* I knew about the male endocrine system and what happens when you put exogenous hormones into it, suggests that when guys come off this pill, there's going to be a significant "lag period" between the day they stop getting testosterone from the pill itself, and the day their HPTA returns to normal production levels. During that lag period, they will be at risk for developing gyno and other potentially irreversible side effects unless they take some kind of PCT regimen in order to (a) kickstart their HPTA back into action, and (b) mitigate the inevitable hormonal imbalances which will occur in the interim period.

Am I wrong about this, or is this supposedly safe contraceptive method storing up major, major headaches for the guys who use it going into the future, unless it's tweaked to include a PCT and restart protocol for when those guys decide to stop using it?

None of the stories about it mention any of this, so I feel like either those who are testing it are being dishonest in their reporting, or else the media is choosing to "dumb down" the dosing protocol for this and omit the PCT phase. I have to say though, I'd be exceptionally worried about a widespread use of a progesterone-testosterone combination among lads without a corresponding PCT and restart protocol for when they decide to finish it.

Thoughts?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Your points are all valid to me but im no expert.

It does sound like a good method of population control, though, if youre into conspiracy theories and all that. Accidentally on purpose create a bunch of impotent males to help compensate for the ever growing peoblems of food aupply, global warming etc.

Who knows.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
All I know is that every time one is tried, it leads to lasting damage in at least a few individuals in the study groups. For women it’s easy because they can use a hormone naturally produced by the body that causes no damage since it has no impact such as progesterone. When messing with testosterone though, the testies don’t rebound the same way when test is limited among other factors. This can throw off the male HTP axis which causes a cascading effect for males whereas for females this doesn’t happen.

I’m not buying it and I’ll eat my hat if it works without issues at a much much larger rate than we see in females.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just when we thought we had seen the last of Ostarine..

AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I agree with you, it’s dumb. Suppressing lh and fsh wont fully kill off all sperm cells, only the majority; so I’d imagine that the risk of pregnancy would still be an issue. Also, oral testosterone has awful bioavailability, so I’d be willing to bet that this would be no different.

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I doubt it would work because 1) that formula is so stupidly obvious that it would likely have been tried 2) it might be reversible in a way, as in, '90% of study participants were at or near baseline within 3 months', but not reversible in a way we'd hope(I guess to be fair, a lot of old school guys didn't pct and ended up okay enough) 3) even if it works, you'd essentially be cruising for months, maybe years? So it would more or less force everyone who takes it for a realistic amount of time to get onto trt just to feel normal again.

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh I forgot to mention, they may know about the risk of gyno and not care because a lot of doctors consider gyno a strictly cosmetic issue.

2kvette

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All I know is that every time one is tried, it leads to lasting damage in at least a few individuals in the study groups. For women it’s easy because they can use a hormone naturally produced by the body that causes no damage since it has no impact such as progesterone. When messing with testosterone though, the testies don’t rebound the same way when test is limited among other factors. This can throw off the male HTP axis which causes a cascading effect for males whereas for females this doesn’t happen.

I’m not buying it and I’ll eat my hat if it works without issues at a much much larger rate than we see in females.
Nothing about this is correct.

2kvette

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree with you, it’s dumb. Suppressing lh and fsh wont fully kill off all sperm cells, only the majority; so I’d imagine that the risk of pregnancy would still be an issue. Also, oral testosterone has awful bioavailability, so I’d be willing to bet that this would be no different.
There is a new trick, that doesn't involve methylation.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
There is a new trick, that doesn't involve methylation.
I’ve heard about it but haven’t seen it used yet. Can we get this in our grey market stuff yet? Or is that still awhile away do you think?

Mitch_310

Mitch_310

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a waste of time. You wouldn’t get that many gains off of it that’s for sure. I would even go as far as to say some guys might feel worse on it. You’re basically shutting yourself down for nothing and even then, stuff isn’t a guarantee you’ll knock someone up

All it takes is one sperm anyways.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah but if one is good ten must be great right?

AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sounds like a waste of time. You wouldn’t get that many gains off of it that’s for sure. I would even go as far as to say some guys might feel worse on it. You’re basically shutting yourself down for nothing and even then, stuff isn’t a guarantee you’ll knock someone up

All it takes is one sperm anyways.
Basically shutting yourself down because you’re too lazy to pullout/use rubber hahaha

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your points are all valid to me but im no expert.

It does sound like a good method of population control, though, if youre into conspiracy theories and all that. Accidentally on purpose create a bunch of impotent males to help compensate for the ever growing peoblems of food aupply, global warming etc.

Who knows.
Men are already far less fertile then 50 years ago so I don't see a need to furtherthose numbers but interesting stuff here