Supplements for High Cholesterol

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Along with exercise and a healthy diet, any supplements that will aid in lowering high cholesterol?

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I believe Krill Oil may have more benefits than fish oil when it comes to lowering LDL levels or total cholesterol. At least I've seen some recent studies suggesting this.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you have high cholesterol? What did your doc say. I have used are Nimbus cadence, Now cholesterol pro, and animal cordis. Cholesterol has been fine lately but was high a few years back.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
AI Cycle Support
Nimbus Nutrition Cadence
Iforce Heart Help

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They covered you. I always recommend fish oil as well. TSN has a good fish oil supp.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's a list of individual dietary supplements that can help cholesterol levels. I use fish oil, flax seed, and extra dietary fiber as staples:

What it does Side effects and drug interactions
Artichoke extract May reduce total cholesterol and LDL, or "bad," cholesterol May cause gas or an allergic reaction
Barley May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol

Beta-sitosterol (found in oral supplements and some margarines, such as Promise Activ) May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol
May cause nausea, indigestion, gas, diarrhea or constipation

May be ineffective if you take ezetimibe (Zetia), a prescription cholesterol medication

Blond psyllium (found in seed husk and products such as Metamucil) May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol May cause gas, stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation or nausea
Fish oil (found as a liquid oil and in oil-filled capsules) May reduce triglycerides
May cause a fishy aftertaste, bad breath, gas, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea

May interact with some blood-thinning medications, such as warfarin (Coumadin)

Flaxseed, ground May reduce triglycerides
May cause, gas, bloating or diarrhea

May interact with some blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin, clopidogrel (Plavix) and warfarin (Coumadin)

Garlic extract May reduce total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides
May cause bad breath, body odor, heartburn, gas, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea

May interact with blood-thinning medications, such as warfarin (Coumadin)

Green tea extract May lower LDL cholesterol
May cause nausea, vomiting, gas or diarrhea

May interact with blood-thinning medications, such as warfarin (Coumadin)

Oat bran (found in oatmeal and whole oats) May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol May cause gas or bloating
Sitostanol (found in oral supplements and some margarines, such as Benecol) May reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol May cause diarrhea
Another popular cholesterol-lowering supplement is red yeast rice. There is some evidence that red yeast rice can help lower your LDL cholesterol. However, the Food and Drug Administration has warned that red yeast rice products could contain a naturally occurring form of the prescription medication known as lovastatin. Lovastatin in the red yeast rice products in question is potentially dangerous because there's no way for you to know what level or quality of lovastatin might be in red yeast rice.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CL OxiMega Fish Oils

Flush Free Niacin

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
All good suggestions, but I recommend for your next test asking for a particle one if possible. High cholesterol doesn't necessarily equate to greater mortality (lower is also bad on a population basis) but high cholesterol with high triglycerides would be an "at risk" factor.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/O-Primitivo-Cholesterol.jpg (WHO and BHF heart stats)

The "ideal" range for lowered all cause mortality is around 210-220. Where the main issue lies is not with cholesterol per se, but with elevated triglycerides increasing residence time for LDL particles (more time for them in the places we don't want them) and decreased residence time for HDL cholesterol (less time removing LDL particles). In addition, triglycerides decrease LDL particle size leaving them more susceptible to oxidation and causing an inflammatory response whereas larger LDL particles do not pose a threat to heart health.

So try and focus on lowering triglycerides PRIMARILY (lower carb intake - <40% of total intake) and lowering body fat levels and you will find your risk of heart disease will decrease alongside that.

Change in LDL particle size is associated with change in plasma triglyceride concentration. - PubMed - NCBI
Assessment of LDL particle size by triglyceride/HDL-cholesterol ratio in non-diabetic, healthy subjects without prominent hyperlipidemia. - PubMed - NCBI
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/23/11/1679.full.pdf
JAMA Network | JAMA | Fasting Insulin and Apolipoprotein B Levels and Low-Density Lipoprotein Particle Size as Risk Factors for Ischemic Heart Disease
JAMA Network | JAMA | A Prospective Study of Triglyceride Level, Low-Density Lipoprotein Particle Diameter, and Risk of Myocardial Infarction

I have FT's available for those who are interested in the topic.

As a word of caution, never seek to INCREASE total cholesterol unless instructed by a physician, but focusing on decreasing at risk food habits and body fat will help put you in the right position naturally.

DoubleM101

DoubleM101

Awards
  • Established
I don´t know if it the result of it or not, since she stills take her medicine, but since my mom started to take Aloe Vera concentrate from NOW her Cholesterol values dropped.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Policosinol if you don't think there is a Cuban conspiracy.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Garlic is one of the more reliable and actually proven supplements for this. Supplementation of raw garlic bulb has been shown to reduce cholesterol (total cholesterol, mostly due to LDL reductions) reliably and in the range of 10-15%