Sumo deadlift form check

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know my form is garbage. It seems like it isn't when I lift, but I can tell by watching the video. So how can I fix this?
[video]https://youtu.be/vxZdy2j9zzI[/video]

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First off .. iron maiden. Yes!
You are starting off all wrong. You need sit on your arse a bit more. Tighten your whole body, take slack off the bar, lift with your whole body and squueze those glutes at the top.
It looks like your are lifting with your back

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[video=youtube;Q9ODKaKHmUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ODKaKHmUs&feature=youtu.be[/video] How does this look?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
[video=youtube;Q9ODKaKHmUs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9ODKaKHmUs&feature=youtu.be[/video] How does this look?
Massive improvement in this one, doesn’t look like you are fully locking out though - at the top of the lift the glutes should be squeezed and forward with a full standing position.

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
Massive improvement in this one, doesn’t look like you are fully locking out though - at the top of the lift the glutes should be squeezed and forward with a full standing position.
This. I think what would help you in that regard is trying to be conscious of keeping your core engaged. If you’re contracting your glutes and keeping your core tight and engaged (picture trying to theoretically bring your belly button and your glutes together), I think you’ll naturally want to lock out at the top better. And remember to push through with your heels and not your toes, which will help you lock out too.

On a side note, congrats to successfully being able to deadlift in your living room. I’d be dropping that barbell when I’m fatigued and it’d go right through my floor.

VO2Maxima

VO2Maxima

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Second one looks better than the first. However, in both of them, you're still pulling conventional from a sumo stance. When you pull sumo, you're going to want to think about spreading the floor apart with your feet and forcing your hips to the bar while simultaneously pulling the bar backward with your lats, not standing up with it like you would conventional.

Watch this, very thorough and has some good tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQZ-RwYVLlc
Less comprehensive but still decent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ3A_HmfQyk
Also, chair deadlifts will help with sumo form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnEsI7uf4f0

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Have to agree with the above post on all counts...great post VO2Maxima ...honestly, I think everything about your form looks terrible...not trying to sound like an a.hole. just being as honest as I can...arm placement, grip width, hip positioning, torso positioning, bar path, lockout, elbows unlocked, etc...Sumo can be a very technical lift, and is almost always predetermined to be a successful lift based on starting position and initial break from the floor alone, unlike conv. where you can muscle it into place even when you misgroove. Keep working on it, just make sure you're focusing on form rather than overall weight, would hate to see you injure yourself.

also, is there a reason why you're training sumo and not conventional?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
...Sumo can be a very technical lift, and is almost always predetermined to be a successful lift based on starting position and initial break from the floor alone, unlike conv. where you can muscle it into place even when you misgroove.

?
This is exactly why I normally use sumo as a secondary lift on a squat day rather than as my main compound. Obviously sumo has more of a leg emphasis but I prefer a slightly lower weight so I can focus on maintaining better form whereas conventional is my heavy main compound. Less to go wrong in my opinion.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have to agree with the above post on all counts...great post VO2Maxima ...honestly, I think everything about your form looks terrible...not trying to sound like an a.hole. just being as honest as I can...arm placement, grip width, hip positioning, torso positioning, bar path, lockout, elbows unlocked, etc...Sumo can be a very technical lift, and is almost always predetermined to be a successful lift based on starting position and initial break from the floor alone, unlike conv. where you can muscle it into place even when you misgroove. Keep working on it, just make sure you're focusing on form rather than overall weight, would hate to see you injure yourself.

also, is there a reason why you're training sumo and not conventional?
Si joint problems in the past. I heard sumo might be better for that. Maybe I'll switch to conventional.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
This is exactly why I normally use sumo as a secondary lift on a squat day rather than as my main compound. Obviously sumo has more of a leg emphasis but I prefer a slightly lower weight so I can focus on maintaining better form whereas conventional is my heavy main compound. Less to go wrong in my opinion.
plenty of people are able to make solid, steady progress this way...always good to get at least somewhat comfortable practicing both.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Si joint problems in the past. I heard sumo might be better for that. Maybe I'll switch to conventional.
just asking bro, no need to change up styles, especially if sumo helps prevent unnecessary wear and tear...most people can agree that sumo hits the lower back a little less, and if this allows you to train injury free, go for it...

don't feel discouraged, most people don't have the guts to post a vid and ask for help...I'm more than willing to stop in and answer any questions I can...hopefully even more experienced and knowledgeable lifters can chime in as well.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
just asking bro, no need to change up styles, especially if sumo helps prevent unnecessary wear and tear...most people can agree that sumo hits the lower back a little less, and if this allows you to train injury free, go for it...

don't feel discouraged, most people don't have the guts to post a vid and ask for help...I'm more than willing to stop in and answer any questions I can...hopefully even more experienced and knowledgeable lifters can chime in as well.
Thanks bud. I appreciate it and I appreciate the help. My goal is to reach the 405 mark in either variation. Considering I can do 325 with terrible form, I'm sure I can get there lol. Have some tail bone issues to, ironically not from lifting, but from sitting in crappy office chairs. I'm a hardcore PC gamer. Right now I have to struggle with the crappy chair I got for about another week until I can buy a a decent gaming chair.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks bud. I appreciate it and I appreciate the help. My goal is to reach the 405 mark in either variation. Considering I can do 325 with terrible form, I'm sure I can get there lol. Have some tail bone issues to, ironically not from lifting, but from sitting in crappy office chairs. I'm a hardcore PC gamer. Right now I have to struggle with the crappy chair I got for about another week until I can buy a a decent gaming chair.
Worth really making sure you get them glutes firing before you lift mate. Banded pull through, kB swings, monster walks etc..... makes a massive difference both in performance and injury prevention.

Agree with the point above in reply to my earlier comment, it’s worth training both, I started conventional and didn’t sumo much at all for years but definitely benefited from introducing it. Most people I know that lift big numbers will pull both styles (albeit in different rep ranges/weights)

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm stronger at sumo
I'm 6foot 2 inches.
But I take months of and just conventional .
Hook grip sumo really shortens up the travel
Silent mike
Is a sumo expert blows Norton away in sumo.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Sumo deadlifts do not hit the legs more - it shifts the load onto the external rotators of the hips
If your goal is to simply get stronger then just concentrate on squats and regular deadlifts

Do you have a training log? There are a lot of problems I'm seeing here and you're going to end up hurting yourself. All these things are fairly easy to fix and will require you to put more effort outside the gym than inside. If you have a log then I'll be able to provide guidance to you along the way. I've competed in powerlifting at the international level and coached many of my friends to better health and technique

Cgkone

Cgkone

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh I just saw the video.
Like stated above, many flaws.
You need to watch some videos

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sumo deadlifts do not hit the legs more - it shifts the load onto the external rotators of the hips
If your goal is to simply get stronger then just concentrate on squats and regular deadlifts

Do you have a training log? There are a lot of problems I'm seeing here and you're going to end up hurting yourself. All these things are fairly easy to fix and will require you to put more effort outside the gym than inside. If you have a log then I'll be able to provide guidance to you along the way. I've competed in powerlifting at the international level and coached many of my friends to better health and technique
Okay, any advice is greatly appreciated. I don't really have a log. I do try and hit legs every 3-4 days and hit upper body every 3-4 days. I've played around with sets and reps and generally go 2-4 reps for two sets on front squats and deadlifts and 2 sets of 6-8 reps on upper body. I haven't done back squats in awhile because they bother my shoulders. I know I have tight shoulders and have started stretching, but only recently. I much prefer underhand bench, as long as I can prevent wrist pain. I always seem to flare out with overhand bench to the point where I'll never do it anymore.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Okay, any advice is greatly appreciated. I don't really have a log. I do try and hit legs every 3-4 days and hit upper body every 3-4 days. I've played around with sets and reps and generally go 2-4 reps for two sets on front squats and deadlifts and 2 sets of 6-8 reps on upper body. I haven't done back squats in awhile because they bother my shoulders. I know I have tight shoulders and have started stretching, but only recently. I much prefer underhand bench, as long as I can prevent wrist pain. I always seem to flare out with overhand bench to the point where I'll never do it anymore.
Create a log in the training log section, tag me in it and I'll start helping you

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[video]https://youtu.be/m4KIkbhUyNY[/video] 145
[video]https://youtu.be/suoaWP5YXJQ[/video] 215
[video]https://youtu.be/xi0t68w5EVQ[/video] 315
Convetional Form