Suggestions on my routine

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Hi all,

35 yo male here. Goals are to increase my strength and put on some muscle, perhaps better my posture, but generally just feel better.

I used to do a lot of strength training ~10 years ago, got back into weight training maybe 3/4 of the way through last year.

Given my general goals, I decided to hedge my bets and do a 5/3/1 routine for strength, coupled with Wendlers Bodybuilding routine (I made a couple of tweaks here and there, which may or may not have been the right thing to do).

Some questions/problems I have, hoping to get some advice.

1) Due to work and having a toddler, finding time to get the gym is tricky. I travel for work a fair bit too which screws things up. That said, I am averaging twice per week. I'd like to get there more, sure, but for now getting to the gym 2 times per week is a positive for me. The 5/3/1 routine is really a 4 day routine though.
So I figure I have 3 options. 1) keep the 4 day split, just do it over 2 weeks. Eg week 1 bench, squats, week 2 deads, press. 2) do all 4 main lifts in 1 week, just double up per session on the main lifts. 3) do another routine.
Keen on thoughts?

2) When we did our strength training ~10 years ago, it was mainly Mark Rippetoe stuff. So lots of squats. I dont mind doing squats, but a leg day is boring. Leg press, leg curls, leg extensions. Thoughts on super setting each one of these things with something else? eg do arms on this day, just to cut through the boredom?

3) I never really did abs in the past. I was thinking of adding things like cable crunches each session. Would this be overkill?

4) I work out at night when I do, only time I can get in there. So quick and efficient workouts are ideal. Any issue with super setting all the accessory work after the main lift. Not together of course, just in blocks of 2 exercises.

Current routine, based off 5/3/1 BB.
Day 1: Shoulders and Biceps
Standing Military Press – 5/3/1
Bench Press - 5x10
DB Military Press – 4 x12
Side Laterals/Rear Laterals – 4 x12
Barbell Curls – 4 x12
Preacher Curls – 4 x10

Day 2: Back
Deadlift – 5/3/1
Bent Over Rows – 4 x12
Chin ups – 4 x10 (or do Lat Pulldowns)
Good Mornings – 4 x10
Hanging Leg Raises – 4 x12

Day 3: Chest and Triceps
Bench Press – 5/3/1
Shoulder Press - 5x10
Weighted Dips – 4 x10
DB Flyes – 4 x12
Triceps Pushdowns – 5 x 20

Day 4: Legs and Abs
Squat – 5/3/1
Leg Press – 5 x 15
Leg Curls – 5 x 15
Leg Extensions – 4 x12
Ab Wheel – 4 x12

stock28

Awards
  • Established
If you’re only able to go 2 days a week best bet would be a full body program each day. Plenty of decent ones out there. Just don’t spend a lot of time and energy on isolation or assistance work. Hit the basic lifts hard and stick to bench, squats, dead’s, barbell rows, pull-ups, military press.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Agreed with above. I’m not real familiar with the layout of 5/3/1, but starting strength or a 5x5 would probably work best for only going twice a week.

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys, appreciate the replies.

Thoughts on best code/ab work for a 2 day routine?

number1mefan

Awards
If you have two days a week I think that would work fine as you have been out of the game for 10 years, what ever gets you in there and comfortable and once it becomes routine to go to the gym again you may find it easier to increase frequency. If it where me I’d try an upper body day and lower body day throw in a couple set for abs both days maybe two exercises 3-4 sets each I like weighted crunches, lying leg raises and some clamshell crunches where you crunch while pulling legs in I don’t think abs is a must but if you feel like you need more after finishing a workout throw them in there, again I think if you can just get into routine and stay consistent will be the biggest factor.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you have two days a week I think that would work fine as you have been out of the game for 10 years, what ever gets you in there and comfortable and once it becomes routine to go to the gym again you may find it easier to increase frequency. If it where me I’d try an upper body day and lower body day throw in a couple set for abs both days maybe two exercises 3-4 sets each I like weighted crunches, lying leg raises and some clamshell crunches where you crunch while pulling legs in I don’t think abs is a must but if you feel like you need more after finishing a workout throw them in there, again I think if you can just get into routine and stay consistent will be the biggest factor.
5x5 usually calls for a couple core movements at the end of each workout. Obviously you can do more if you want. Ab stuff is easy to do in a few minutes at home, so you can always do some on off days too. There’s no real need to do a lot of volume in ab work imo, though.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If I could only go to the gym 2x a week I would bench squat row on one day followed by some arm work at the end and overhead press deadlift on the other day with some leg work after. On the days I can't go to the gym I'd do abs and bodyweight stuff at home

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Or something along those lines doing big lifts 2x a week with whatever extras I could add on non gym days

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
If I could only go to the gym 2x a week I would bench squat row on one day followed by some arm work at the end and overhead press deadlift on the other day with some leg work after. On the days I can't go to the gym I'd do abs and bodyweight stuff at home
I like the sound of this! Thanks heaps!

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I travel a lot as well for work and I rarely miss a day, even though that most hotel gyms suck it’s always a 24hr Fitness close by and since I never know when I’ll be done with work I wake up early and do all my workouts before work. It’s really no excuse if you want it.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Probably better off going back to the Rippetoe stuff if you can only do 2 days a week. 531 is slow enough progress as it is.

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Probably better off going back to the Rippetoe stuff if you can only do 2 days a week. 531 is slow enough progress as it is.
I had thought about it, but I remember being sore all the time, and I was in my mid 20s then. Being older now, not sure I can deal with being in pain all the time :)

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I had thought about it, but I remember being sore all the time, and I was in my mid 20s then. Being older now, not sure I can deal with being in pain all the time :)
Do HLM then.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Compound movements will be good for you based on your infrequency of training.
However, I know this is going to sound a little off the wall but there is a work out you can do that takes little times and will get you in the best shape of your life....
Sprints.

20 minutes of a sprint cycle will get your heart rate up and I promise, it will break your muscles down and elicit the hormonal response you’re looking for.
Try to think of any flabby/weak looking sprinters.
It’s quick and effective. On top of that, you’ll have no excuse. All you need is some flat ground.

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the fantastic replies. Appreciate you all taking the time to respond!