Subcutaneous TRT protocol

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Hi all. I recently learned subcutaneous testosterone injections are possible. How would subcutaneous testosterone injection compare with intramuscular injection for TRT? Why do most people on TRT choose intramuscular over subcutaneous injections?

How often would subcutaneous injections need to be administered? How much test can be administered in 1 site with a subcutaneous injection? Which areas of the body would the subcutaneous injections be administered?

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My doc has me on 160mg/week split into 2 subq injects, so 80mg Tues night and sat morning. He explained that subq tends to be a slower release and can possibly help keep levels more stable, it also can help with scar tissue buildup, and not from my doc but I've heard anecdotally because of the slower release it can help with aromatization. I go in my stomach about 3" left or right of my belly button.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do 1 1ml shot (200mg Test C) sub q a week in the stomach area, started to use the “love handles” lately, seems fine so far, less tender than stomach to me. Anything under 200 I do 1 shot and when I go over I’ll split it and do IM in the delts.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I've had a few periods of time where I did daily shots in the glute with slinpins, from 150mg all the way to 600mg per week, I've also done 1/2ml 1x per week with a half inch pin in the glute for months on end as trt, I dont really notice any difference for the most part but when I did the daily subq shots as a cycle I had significantly less acne then previously with the same total dose 1-2 week intramuscular

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm actually rotating delts and gluts right now with a 25g 1/2 and have been the past few months so technically ever other pin is sub q

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've had a few periods of time where I did daily shots in the glute with slinpins, from 150mg all the way to 600mg per week, I've also done 1/2ml 1x per week with a half inch pin in the glute for months on end as trt, I dont really notice any difference for the most part but when I did the daily subq shots as a cycle I had significantly less acne then previously with the same total dose 1-2 week intramuscular
That's funny you mention the acne.. I started TRT ~12 weeks ago at 100mg/week 1 shot subq in the stomach, upped 3 weeks ago to 80mg/2x week subq. I've always had some acne, even natural, on my shoulders and back and sometimes on my face. You mentioning the acne makes me realize since TRT I really have only had a random pimple here and there but so much less than before. Never done IM so I can't say it's the subq vs IM but maybe my hormones were so screwed (had 3x blood work to confirm my total T levels were about 100 under the lower reference and free T about 6.8 range being 8.1-25)

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subq never worked for me..I feel best with injection in the side delts.. I use 29g 5/8..40mg eod.. pin..and done..takes like 2 sec.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Subq never worked for me..I feel best with injection in the side delts.. I use 29g 5/8..40mg eod.. pin..and done..takes like 2 sec.
It's funny, ppl always use to tell me 29 and 30g took forever to inject, I find the 29g slin pin injects faster then a 25g 3ml syringe if there shooting the same amount of oil. If I'm injecting less then 1ml at a time il use skin pins from here on out

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That's funny you mention the acne.. I started TRT ~12 weeks ago at 100mg/week 1 shot subq in the stomach, upped 3 weeks ago to 80mg/2x week subq. I've always had some acne, even natural, on my shoulders and back and sometimes on my face. You mentioning the acne makes me realize since TRT I really have only had a random pimple here and there but so much less than before. Never done IM so I can't say it's the subq vs IM but maybe my hormones were so screwed (had 3x blood work to confirm my total T levels were about 100 under the lower reference and free T about 6.8 range being 8.1-25)
Where was your estrogen at? The higher my estrogen goes the worse my acne gets which sucks. On cycles when I was younger, I felt like I grew my best when estrogen was high, I could run 600+ test with no ai and no problems but those days are long gone.

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pre trt my T levels were ****, like 190 total and 7 or so free with estrogen slightly above the upper range.. since starting trt obviously T levels are up, but my estrogen has remained consistent without an AI so I'm guessing the improved T to E ratio is what has really helped me. My levels were so screwed to begin with

sarge40

Awards
Sub q TRT never worked for me either and I too prefer delt injections. For me, there is about a 400ng/dL difference between the two methods (8-900 ng/dL vs 4-500 ng/dL - sub q being the lower number).

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Sub q TRT never worked for me either and I too prefer delt injections. For me, there is about a 400ng/dL difference between the two methods (8-900 ng/dL vs 4-500 ng/dL - sub q being the lower number).
It's weird, I've seen plenty of ppl say the same as you, sub q gives them lower levels.
But I've also seen plenty say the total opposite and sub q giving higher and steadier levels. I wonder why there is such a difference between people in this aspect

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I dont think I have ever had bloodwork on strictly sub q shots so I dont know how it effects me levels wise, I just notice I feel good either way and have less acne with smaller more frequent injections in which I use a 1/2in slin pin or 25g 1/2 in so I'm sure when I'm hitting glutes it's going sub q if I dont have that pin completely buried

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I just realized I've been replying to 2 different threads with a similar topic, thought it was all the same 1