Struggling with last 10lb....

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Hi all,

This is unusual for me as I've never found weight loss difficult, however after taking nearly 2 years off the gym and obviously getting older maybe something has changed?

So far during this cut (naturally) I have lost 20lb, which I'm happy with obviously!
Let myself go and now regret it as I'm sure you can imagine.

So I've been consistently hitting the gym 6 days a week, each workout with 200cal burnt on cardio. 20mins LISS.

Calories are: 2300 per day

Meals:

Breakfast:
60g oats, 60g whey, 6 cherries, 30g PB
Calories: 680
Protein- 62
Carbs- 49
Fat- 21

Snack:
Grenade carb killa (varies on flavour)
Roughly 220cals (depending on bar)
Protein- 20
Carbs- 20
Fat- 10

Lunch:
Varied meal from musclefood (prepped)
Average cal- 400cal
Protein- 30
Carbs- 35
Fat- 14

Snack:
30g peanuts
Cal- 180cal
Protein- 9
Carbs- 3
Fat- 15

Dinner-
Homemade chilli
Cals- 680cals
Beef, rice and kidney beans with sauce
Protein- 54g
Carbs- 64g
Fat- 23

Total (slight variance each day)
Between 2200-2300
Macros-
Protein- 180
Carbs- 170
Fat- 80

Anyway I'm struggling with belly fat loss, everywhere else, the fat is disappearing nicely.

I've recently added in some epistane to help due to its potential of decreasing cortisol and aiding is muscle building, obviously more muscle = more calories burned.

Does anyone have any advice on what to add in/remove?

I know the obvious is calorie reduction but I'm currently weighing 220lb at 5ft 10. Doesn't seem right to drop below 2200 for my size.

Let me know your thoughts.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How long have you been dieting?

I would say as much as it sucks even though it doesn't seem right you may still have to drop calories that is just how things go some times.

That said depending on length of the cut you may be in need of a short break then go back at it for the next 10lbs. I think a break every couple months or after 10% bodyweight lost can be good if you have a longer distance to go.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
How long have you been dieting?

I would say as much as it sucks even though it doesn't seem right you may still have to drop calories that is just how things go some times.

That said depending on length of the cut you may be in need of a short break then go back at it for the next 10lbs. I think a break every couple months or after 10% bodyweight lost can be good if you have a longer distance to go.
I've been running this cut for about 13 weeks. I was hoping you wouldn't say drop cals. I think I knew that would be the case from past experience but I guess it's time... I'm already so hungry haha. Interesting you say about taking time off, I noticed after a big cheat meal last week that the next morning I looked leaner, I know it likely replaced glycogen stores etc but even with the increase in sodium I still looked better sk you may be onto something.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I've been running this cut for about 13 weeks. I was hoping you wouldn't say drop cals. I think I knew that would be the case from past experience but I guess it's time... I'm already so hungry haha. Interesting you say about taking time off, I noticed after a big cheat meal last week that the next morning I looked leaner, I know it likely replaced glycogen stores etc but even with the increase in sodium I still looked better sk you may be onto something.
Ya you can't really get away from the full down regulation of everything until you spend enough time at maintenance/surplus, but taking a couple weeks back at maintenance can help make it easier to lose again after.

It sucks because it does slow things down a bit (like ugh I gotta take 2-3 weeks off of losing!? haha), but I find in the long run for people, especially when they've had a decent bit to lose, it can help it to stay off easier as well. Kind of a 2 steps forward 1 step back to then take 2 more steps forward approach.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Ya you can't really get away from the full down regulation of everything until you spend enough time at maintenance/surplus, but taking a couple weeks back at maintenance can help make it easier to lose again after.

It sucks because it does slow things down a bit (like ugh I gotta take 2-3 weeks off of losing!? haha), but I find in the long run for people, especially when they've had a decent bit to lose, it can help it to stay off easier as well. Kind of a 2 steps forward 1 step back to then take 2 more steps forward approach.
Yeah man, I hear ya. I'll take a week and see what happens, never know it might act like a recomp! Ha. As long as j dont gain weight I'll be happy.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Theres really only 3 options:
1. cut cals
2. add more cardio/exercise/calorie expenditure
3. go through a maintenance phase and try to reset things... which will then only leave 1&2 after ha

What was your weight the last time you were in a shape you were comfortable with? I ask becuase 5'10" 220 could be very chubby still or jacked and ripped which need very diff cal levels (FWIW, at 5'10, 190, ~12% bf myself I maintain at 2000 or less)

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
1. cut cals
3. go through a maintenance phase and try to reset things... which will then only leave 1&2 after ha

What was your weight the last time you were in a shape you were comfortable with? I ask becuase 5'10" 220 could be very chubby still or jacked and ripped which need very diff cal levels (FWIW, at 5'10, 190, ~12% bf myself I maintain at 2000 or less)
I was at 190lb and was quite happy before, wasnt 5% bf or anything stupid. I was around 10% which I liked.

Maybe my calls are too high then considering your stats.

Being hungry all the time is the killer for me, I can deal with it but it gets so difficult at times.

Maybe I'll go for 2100cal and see what happens.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
1. cut cals

I was at 190lb and was quite happy before, wasnt 5% bf or anything stupid. I was around 10% which I liked.

Maybe my calls are too high then considering your stats.

Being hungry all the time is the killer for me, I can deal with it but it gets so difficult at times.

Maybe I'll go for 2100cal and see what happens.
I have always had painfully low cals but can say that even after having a professional coach, that's just what I ahve to do (usually i get to about 1600 or even less once im below 10% or so).

What have your calorie levels been like historically?

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
1. cut cals

I have always had painfully low cals but can say that even after having a professional coach, that's just what I ahve to do (usually i get to about 1600 or even less once im below 10% or so).

What have your calorie levels been like historically?
Damn 1600!
Previously I could cut on 2300 without an issue, seems to be slowing now though, I'm a bit older... 30 this year so maybe its metabolism?

I think I'll drop the cals, see what happens and if not much difference then I'll add more cardio.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Damn 1600!
Previously I could cut on 2300 without an issue, seems to be slowing now though, I'm a bit older... 30 this year so maybe its metabolism?

I think I'll drop the cals, see what happens and if not much difference then I'll add more cardio.
drop down and do sit-ups immediately after cardio...and if you are still running epistane I recommend adding iron legion Invictus/vii-kt to pct-for me this combo targets belly fat.

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
drop down and do sit-ups immediately after cardio...and if you are still running epistane I recommend adding iron legion Invictus/vii-kt to pct-for me this combo targets belly fat.
^^

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Drop cals and do more cardio. I really don’t like your macros ratio too tbh.

WannabeBatman

WannabeBatman

Awards
I was having similar issues, i.e., took a few years off from training, and utilized a combo of Boonenan’s 3 point to overcome some weight loss inertia.

How are you feeling in terms of energy levels and lethargy, or lack thereof? When cutting/hard, I find that personally one of two things work for a metabolic reset; this being dependent upon how burned out am.

1. Take a day, or one or so meals, and eat garbage. I like to grab a medium pizza and Philly cheesesteak.

2. Increase your caloric intake to slightly above, or at, maintenance and consume at this level until you feel reinvigorated. You could incorporate some HIIT to decrease calories should you not be happy with your progress or to counterbalance weight gain.

Like I said, both options have worked, it’s just really dependent upon how stalled one’s metabolism is. On a side note, as thebigt said, the Invictus/VII is an awesome weight loss stack.

Good luck!

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Drop cals and do more cardio. I really don’t like your macros ratio too tbh.
The reason my macros are like that is simple. Too low carb and I just wont stick to the diet, feel like crap all the time. This is as low as I tend to go with carbs. Protein is nearly at 1lb/kg which I find optimal for me and I dont lose strength or size and fat is just filling in the rest.
I was having similar issues, i.e., took a few years off from training, and utilized a combo of Boonenan’s 3 point to overcome some weight loss inertia.

How are you feeling in terms of energy levels and lethargy, or lack thereof? When cutting/hard, I find that personally one of two things work for a metabolic reset; this being dependent upon how burned out am.

1. Take a day, or one or so meals, and eat garbage. I like to grab a medium pizza and Philly cheesesteak.

2. Increase your caloric intake to slightly above, or at, maintenance and consume at this level until you feel reinvigorated. You could incorporate some HIIT to decrease calories should you not be happy with your progress or to counterbalance weight gain.

Like I said, both options have worked, it’s just really dependent upon how stalled one’s metabolism is. On a side note, as thebigt said, the Invictus/VII is an awesome weight loss stack.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice many every bit helps me along the journey.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn 1600!

Dont underestimate the #30. Metabolism def starts to change around 30 and when you hit 40 you have to work that much harder to manipulate the body. (I try to stay fairly lean and am forever recomping). I can't even imagine what 50 will be like haha.

Growing up and in my mid 20s I was a hard gainer. My metabolism was crazy fast and all that changed. I still have a good metabolism but age does start to change things a bit. I say drop calories a bit more, then increase cardio and if that isnt working try a reset.

I'm sure you're already using some type of supplements for assistance? May have already been mentioned I didnt read everything :)

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Dont underestimate the #30. Metabolism def starts to change around 30 and when you hit 40 you have to work that much harder to manipulate the body. (I try to stay fairly lean and am forever recomping). I can't even imagine what 50 will be like haha.

Growing up and in my mid 20s I was a hard gainer. My metabolism was crazy fast and all that changed. I still have a good metabolism but age does start to change things a bit. I say drop calories a bit more, then increase cardio and if that isnt working try a reset.

I'm sure you're already using some type of supplements for assistance? May have already been mentioned I didnt read everything :)
This is genuinley what I think is holding my weight loss back a little, age. Just a product of getting older I guess!
Ha im not looking forward to the constant battle!!

Currently just running Epistane, but thats just to aid in the cut before a Test cycle.
No fat burners.

100% on the BIG 3-0. I just turned 36 and can empathize with the stalled weight loss and the harder to achieve gains!
Man, getting older never bothered me but your all giving me anxiety ! :ROFLMAO:
I am going to fight this as long as I can. I am the strongest and in best shape I've ever been at this age, maybe I'll meditate daily and convince myself I am in my 20s. :ROFLMAO:
I like the way you think! Maybe if I believe im in my 20's by metabolism will too!
1-carb cycle, low/med/hi etc, put carbs before and after workouts
2-take an additional day off, cut the LISS and replace with 1-2 hilt

this is the way.
Im starting to experiment with the carb cycling, never really done it before, dont like it at the same time as I do... Lower carbs kills me!

The HIIT idea seems sensible, maybe ill try that too.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

i am 61 and stay in shape year round..it is more difficult in winter months since I work outdoors and sweat like crazy in summer months.

my 'secret' is Invictus/vii-kt, this combo truly works wonders for me.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is genuinley what I think is holding my weight loss back a little, age. Just a product of getting older I guess!
Ha im not looking forward to the constant battle!!

Currently just running Epistane, but thats just to aid in the cut before a Test cycle.
No fat burners.

Man, getting older never bothered me but your all giving me anxiety !

I like the way you think! Maybe if I believe im in my 20's by metabolism will too!

Im starting to experiment with the carb cycling, never really done it before, dont like it at the same time as I do... Lower carbs kills me!

The HIIT idea seems sensible, maybe ill try that too.
Yeah its subtle but def is a real thing haha some things that help me tremendously are intermittent fasting and carb cycling. This is my lifestyle. Oh and I eat clean 90% of the time. When I eat like shyt I feel like shyt. That happens with age also. So much fun lol

But to be honest I'm enjoying my 40s tremendously... People can't believe I'm 42, they're dumbfounded a lot of times because I look younger. Part of it is genetics but part of it is a try and take care of myself for the most part.... Embrace the evolution :)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
First - great job laying out your diet. 99% of people asking for advice clearly don't weigh and measure their intake, barely know what they eat, and wonder why they are not seeing results. You have a plan, a good starting point for us to work with, and clearly have a grasp of the basics.

I like your approach. Macros are pretty good - calories and protein are all that really matters. If you are 190 lean then 180 g of protein per day is OK.

First off - everyone is ignoring another option. Just keep doing what you are doing. How long have you been stalled for? Sometimes weight loss isn't exactly linear - you might be stuck at a weight for a few days or a week, and then suddenly you lose 3 pounds one morning.

At first, especially if you are very overweight, sure the weight loss is consistent and easy and linear. But then, at some point, it starts getting less consistent and starts coming in stalls and whooshes. Then it gets worse as you get leaner.

Sometimes when you lose that consistency, you might also think you are stalled and either start slacking off a little from the disappointment or start changing things and trying things that don't work.

Having said that, are you in a deficit? If you are and you are sure..buckle down and give it a few more days and see where you are.

Next, this will seem crazy, cut back on the exercise/cardio. Exercise can deplete leptin hard and this will increase hunger. See if cutting back on the exercise a little helps with the hunger.

Third - eat more food. Not more calories, more food. Instead of protein powder and oats, how about oats and Greek yogurt? Instead if a Grenade bar, maybe some real food? What about more cruciferous veggies? Peanut butter is very calorie dense, you could have 2-3 eggs in it's place.

So in other words, instead of a bowl of oats, protein powder, PB and cherries...you could eat a bowl of oats, a bowl if Greek yogurt, 3 eggs and a banana.

Not saying there is anything wrong with what you have chosen, just that there may be options to get way more food with similar calories/macros.

polarcat

polarcat

Awards
  • Established
First - great job laying out your diet. 99% of people asking for advice clearly don't weigh and measure their intake, barely know what they eat, and wonder why they are not seeing results. You have a plan, a good starting point for us to work with, and clearly have a grasp of the basics.

I like your approach. Macros are pretty good - calories and protein are all that really matters. If you are 190 lean then 180 g of protein per day is OK.

First off - everyone is ignoring another option. Just keep doing what you are doing. How long have you been stalled for? Sometimes weight loss isn't exactly linear - you might be stuck at a weight for a few days or a week, and then suddenly you lose 3 pounds one morning.

At first, especially if you are very overweight, sure the weight loss is consistent and easy and linear. But then, at some point, it starts getting less consistent and starts coming in stalls and whooshes. Then it gets worse as you get leaner.

Sometimes when you lose that consistency, you might also think you are stalled and either start slacking off a little from the disappointment or start changing things and trying things that don't work.

Having said that, are you in a deficit? If you are and you are sure..buckle down and give it a few more days and see where you are.

Next, this will seem crazy, cut back on the exercise/cardio. Exercise can deplete leptin hard and this will increase hunger. See if cutting back on the exercise a little helps with the hunger.

Third - eat more food. Not more calories, more food. Instead of protein powder and oats, how about oats and Greek yogurt? Instead if a Grenade bar, maybe some real food? What about more cruciferous veggies? Peanut butter is very calorie dense, you could have 2-3 eggs in it's place.

So in other words, instead of a bowl of oats, protein powder, PB and cherries...you could eat a bowl of oats, a bowl if Greek yogurt, 3 eggs and a banana.

Not saying there is anything wrong with what you have chosen, just that there may be options to get way more food with similar calories/macros.
THIS, best answer IMO

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Some spectacular advice all throughout here. OP, read it all then read it again ha