Strong on dumbbell weak on barbell

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
At 42 I'm easily benching 95lb dumbbells for sets of 8 reps. Now on barbells I'm struggling to do 200 x6. Is there anything specifically I can do to strengthen barbell benches ??

5'8 175

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
how's your form

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
I'm good on form. Very controlled . On barbell's I use the smith so I can go heavy without stressing crushing my throat. I don't cheat at all . If I can't get the rep I can't get it. I do alternate rep speed every 8 weeks . I'll go speed and drop weights . De-load weeks are good for old men!

benmayro

benmayro

Awards
  • Established
my idea is that you have extremely strong stabilzer muscles which help you get the 95 dumbbell, but the smith machine limit the use of your stabiler muscle, maybe

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Seem to have a bit of that issue myself.
Not quiet as extreme, but I would just say on the exercises you are weaker on keep pushing harder and harder and try adding 5 pounds & getting 1 more rep.....

Just like when ppl 1st start lifting just have to sometimes "play catch up" and keep pushing to grow in strength & size.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm good on form. Very controlled . On barbell's I use the smith so I can go heavy without stressing crushing my throat. I don't cheat at all . If I can't get the rep I can't get it. I do alternate rep speed every 8 weeks . I'll go speed and drop weights . De-load weeks are good for old men!
Get a spotter and use an oly bar on the bench for awhile. As mentioned before likely the smith machine is locking you into a certain position and track of motion that may not be the most efficient for you.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
You are NOT good on form if you are worried about crushing your neck on bench. Go to Youtube and watch Dave Tate's videos on bench pressing. I guarantee you it is a form issue.

After you watch the videos, switch to the normal bench. As far as I'm concerned, the Smith machine is an injury creating device. There is no exercise for which it provides the proper range of motion.

Remember, feet back towards your body and solid flat on the floor, back properly arched and flexed, butt on the bench, shoulder blades together and on the bench, lats flexed, bar stabilized after lifting off the rack, tuck your elbows in as you lower to your lower chest, tight grip, imagine you're pulling the bar down to your chest with your lats, reverse the movement, repeat.

rome32

rome32

Board Sponsor
Awards
I have the same problem 235kb on the bench is my 5 rep limit but I Dumbell press 105's like a baus.

Find a spotter and do cheat reps. Go until you can't and have them help you bust out 3-4 more. This got my bench up quite nicely in 5-6 weeks

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
I was joking about the crushing the throat part! Perhaps using the Smith machine has made me weaker because its balancing the bar. I'm going to ditch using it for a month and see if I can increase my barbell bench.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was joking about the crushing the throat part! Perhaps using the Smith machine has made me weaker because its balancing the bar. I'm going to ditch using it for a month and see if I can increase my barbell bench.
It's only partially about balancing the bar. With the smith machine the bar can only go up and down in one specific track which may not be letting you set your shoulders where they need to be, push in the direction your body wants to push etc. with Free weights you have that ability. I used the shoulder example because that is what happens to me. If I do slide up to where I can set me shoulders into a position I like once I'm about 3/4 of the way up to full extension I am no longer in good alignment because of the way the bar tracks. I think you are making the right decision to give it at least a month on the free weight bench.