Strong but still so small

Ninja23

Awards
Thankyou for taking the time to read if you do I need some help to grow I've been training for a year and nine monthaI've gotten a lot stronger I weigh about the same as when I started lifting but I haven't grown that much should I switch to a hypertrophy based program ? I usually ss
I focus on Weighted pull ups bb row OHP Weighted dips etc
Im at 160 trying to cut down 155 to be very lean though I'll be a twig
Weighted dip =90 sets of 8
OHP is 140 sets of 5
Squat 315x2
BB row 205 sets of 5
Dl 335 I know sucks
Weighted pull up 45 sets of 6
I know I'm not very strong but I was super weak when I started lifting could hardly do a few dips pull ups etc how strong do I need to be to look like I lift!?
Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks guys

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have to first decide if you want to be lean or gain weight. It isn't impossible to do both, but it is VERY hard to do. Especially for beginners.

First, look at your diet. If you want to weigh 180, you need to eat like your 180. Whatever your diet looks like right now obviously isn't working for you. You need to add more quality food. Higher protein, carbs, calories, everything. There are easy ways to do this. For example: P&J, whole milk, pasta...etc. eating a p&j every day plus a glass of whole milk with nearly every meal will increase your total carbs, protein and calories by more than you think. Eat smarter. Know what you are putting into your body and make every meal count. I could go on and on with diet but I need to see first what your typical diet is so we can assess and adjust.

For training, you seem to have a very basic beginner routine that isn't really well rounded. I would focus on either a push/pull layout or upper/lower routine for now. TONS of routines out there for you to follow. I suggest reading some articles on T nation on how to gain mass and what routines work for others. That being said, just because it works for others doesn't mean it will work for you. You may need to tailor some of it for your own specific goals.

So are you wanting to bulk or cut? What's your diet like right now? I don't even want to talk Supplements yet. We need to get the basics down and set for you then we can get into staple supplements.

Good luck.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
You have to first decide if you want to be lean or gain weight. It isn't impossible to do both, but it is VERY hard to do. Especially for beginners.

First, look at your diet. If you want to weigh 180, you need to eat like your 180. Whatever your diet looks like right now obviously isn't working for you. You need to add more quality food. Higher protein, carbs, calories, everything. There are easy ways to do this. For example: P&J, whole milk, pasta...etc. eating a p&j every day plus a glass of whole milk with nearly every meal will increase your total carbs, protein and calories by more than you think. Eat smarter. Know what you are putting into your body and make every meal count. I could go on and on with diet but I need to see first what your typical diet is so we can assess and adjust.

For training, you seem to have a very basic beginner routine that isn't really well rounded. I would focus on either a push/pull layout or upper/lower routine for now. TONS of routines out there for you to follow. I suggest reading some articles on T nation on how to gain mass and what routines work for others. That being said, just because it works for others doesn't mean it will work for you. You may need to tailor some of it for your own specific goals.

So are you wanting to bulk or cut? What's your diet like right now? I don't even want to talk Supplements yet. We need to get the basics down and set for you then we can get into staple supplements.

Good luck.
^^PB and whole milk, nuff said

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Thankyou for taking the time to read if you do I need some help to grow I've been training for a year and nine monthaI've gotten a lot stronger I weigh about the same as when I started lifting but I haven't grown that much should I switch to a hypertrophy based program ? I usually ss
I focus on Weighted pull ups bb row OHP Weighted dips etc
Im at 160 trying to cut down 155 to be very lean though I'll be a twig
Weighted dip =90 sets of 8
OHP is 140 sets of 5
Squat 315x2
BB row 205 sets of 5
Dl 335 I know sucks
Weighted pull up 45 sets of 6
I know I'm not very strong but I was super weak when I started lifting could hardly do a few dips pull ups etc how strong do I need to be to look like I lift!?
Any recommendations would be appreciated thanks guys
Getting bigger means eating more, no two ways about it, eat more food more often

amj8858

Awards
Bottom line eat eat and eat till you can't no more. Also you have to train to grow lean muscle. Your reps should be no less than 8 and try to hit 12. Use moderate weight not to light not to heavy. Remember when doing this to use full range of motion don't cheat. Got up slow and do down slow. No rocking back and forth to curl don't bounce the bar bell off your chest when you bench. When I started working out I weight 140. I am at 205 now and climbing. I been working out for three years now.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bottom line eat eat and eat till you can't no more. Also you have to train to grow lean muscle. Your reps should be no less than 8 and try to hit 12. Use moderate weight not to light not to heavy. Remember when doing this to use full range of motion don't cheat. Got up slow and do down slow. No rocking back and forth to curl don't bounce the bar bell off your chest when you bench. When I started working out I weight 140. I am at 205 now and climbing. I been working out for three years now.
The part about full ROM is important; I see a lot of people doing partial reps, if you could even call them that, on things like squats and weighted dips; yeah, using heavy weight is great, but not if you're doing a fraction of the reps.

OP, how tall are you? I would consider going for a hypertrophy-type program if those lifts are with proper/full ROM, as you have developed a decent base strength-wise, which is a great way to start.

I'm also curious to know what you look like if those lifts (especially the Pullups and Dips) are legit but you don't think you look like you lift.

Ninja23

Awards
I do use full rom very strict form but I definitely don't eat enough currently on a cut I always use 5 reps for heavy compounds and 8-15 on isolation I haven't been doing a lot of isolation the last 4-5 months I'm 5'9 I'm afraid of lowering weight and doing 8-12 reps because I think I'll lose my strength :/ I'm going to start bulking again and hit my macros a little better this time around I can go to the gym mon-Fri does anyone have a good hypertrophy program that will fit in I want to do phat but mon-fri doesn't work with it

Memphis86

Memphis86

Awards
What r u eating?
Eat things like eggs, bacon, red meat, milk, PB, ect. Focus on volume...find a program and stick with it for at least 6 months. Be consistent...with your diet as well as never missing a workout. And last but not least...get enough sleep. Eat, sleep, lift. No one is more important than the other.

Memphis86

Memphis86

Awards
Eat things like eggs, bacon, red meat, milk, PB, ect. Focus on volume...find a program and stick with it for at least 6 months. Be consistent...with your diet as well as never missing a workout. And last but not least...get enough sleep. Eat, sleep, lift. No one is more important than the other.
One more thing lol....BARBELLS!!!! I strongly suggest going with o e of theses programs or something similar. Wendler 5-3-1, Starting Strength, Westside Barbell...Strong Lifts...ect. Personally right now I am using The 5-3-1 Wendler...I started it in Feb. and will probably stick with it for the rest of the year cause it's easy and I will switch next Feb. Beginners benefit greatly from these barbell training programs. I'm sure I have rambled enough and I am repeating what someone has already said. If that is the case then you need to do it....lol. Good luck with your training and give us an update

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
One more thing lol....BARBELLS!!!! I strongly suggest going with o e of theses programs or something similar. Wendler 5-3-1, Starting Strength, Westside Barbell...Strong Lifts...ect. Personally right now I am using The 5-3-1 Wendler...I started it in Feb. and will probably stick with it for the rest of the year cause it's easy and I will switch next Feb. Beginners benefit greatly from these barbell training programs. I'm sure I have rambled enough and I am repeating what someone has already said. If that is the case then you need to do it....lol. Good luck with your training and give us an update
Those training methods are geared more twords strength

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I suggest staying in the 6-12 range. I like to start my routine off with a compound lift. 10/8/6 and go from there.

I suggest trying push/pull or upper/lower days. Once you decide on what days you want to hit what, we can dive more into your routine.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For size I'd focus more on a high frequency and volume "template"

German volume training.

Follow the protocol for rest periods, sets/reps (10x10), use the correct percentage for lifting and you'll grow.

Obviously, surplus of calories with adequate rest and you'll benefit from that alone.

Best of luck

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you are getting stronger but not bigger you just arent eating enough. Simple.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good advice here. With plenty of food and prescribed deloads you will grow.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
From your strength stats it'd also be worthwhile placing emphasis on improving squats and DL's. These are your bread and butter exercises for gaining overall body mass. You'll certainly look like you lift when you work up to 300/400/500. bench/squat/DL. It's something that you could achieve in the not too distant future if you train hard on these movements and take the great advice given here by others on training and nutrition.